Reigniting the spark.

Joonya

For two seasons now I've struggled to find any degree of passion towards the club I once adored. In fact my last game was a 1-1 derby day draw on 18th March 2017 (my only game for that season too, with none [obviously] for last term!). 

It was as though winning the Scottish Cup and getting into Europe completely killed any ambition within the club. Losing the likes of Ryan, Graeme and Marley probably didn't help either. It seemed to me like Richie was sold down the river and whatever 'progress' the club attempted to make, it always seemed the 'cheap' option with no ambition or consideration behind decisions. To be fair, hanging up my boots and an ever reducing amount of enthusiasm for the beautiful game probably didn't help.

This season, it seems different. Recruiting Barry as a coach, Scott as assistant, and Ryan Esson as goalkeeping coach, it all just seems to fit right for ICT. Hearing how the new recruits have fitted in is encouraging and even the new kit looks smart. The league itself looks like it'll be the most entertaining for years. It's got the feel of 2003 about it where any one could challenge for the title.

I'm interested to see what others have to say about their ICT experiences over the past two or three years and what people's thoughts are for the future of this club. There'll undoubtedly be those who say 'support the club through think and thin' and I understand that notion. Sometimes, it's just not that easy.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

A  very interesting thread and post - and one that strikes a few chords, with me at least.  On the one hand I can see some promising moves as you have highlighted and I do think that the club itself is likely being run in a way that is more local, more self-sustaining, and one that reflects its location.  It is definitely worth pointing out the community efforts inside the club, particularly at youth level but also in public health and social welfare.  There also seems to be a desire to be more efficient and penny-wise.  

That being said, I think that there is too much of a disconnect between the main body of fans.  I get the excitement over the #biggesthomegame but it seems that’s all there is. For some, we have a squad, we watch 11 of them play, once a week, and it’s similar to buying a Sunday newspaper or going to the cinema.   However, if the club are truly serious about being sustainable it cannot be passive with the paying adult fan.  There is next to nothing for that demographic and I find it concerning that we have not heard much from the Chairman or CEO for a long time.  ICT is not that big that there is such a remove, and not that small that it is voluntary.  I still get the impression that the club executives see the fan as a passive source of income and only really consider ‘the man on the Clapham omnibus’ for reproach or before season ticket sales.  It isn’t so at different clubs who have much more of an inclusive approach and I feel that the separation between fan and club although not necessarily noticed or problematic for a few it is and will be a factor in declining attendance and support and the laissez-fare attitude will only reduce support city-wide and region-wide, particularly amongst the full-fee or similar level supporter.  

This is said not in isolation, I absolutely applaud the make up of the coaching team and the moves there and the focus on youth - it is simply the frustration over the ivory tower-communications and the inconsistency of information beyond the basics of fixtures and ticket prices which concerns me.  It is enough maybe for some to be as functional as that, but I don’t see how being so limited and traditionalist will ever drive things forward.

Edited by Glover

8 hours ago, Joonya said:

For two seasons now I've struggled to find any degree of passion towards the club I once adored. In fact my last game was a 1-1 derby day draw on 18th March 2017 (my only game for that season too, with none [obviously] for last term!). 

It was as though winning the Scottish Cup and getting into Europe completely killed any ambition within the club. Losing the likes of Ryan, Graeme and Marley probably didn't help either. It seemed to me like Richie was sold down the river and whatever 'progress' the club attempted to make, it always seemed the 'cheap' option with no ambition or consideration behind decisions. To be fair, hanging up my boots and an ever reducing amount of enthusiasm for the beautiful game probably didn't help.

This season, it seems different. Recruiting Barry as a coach, Scott as assistant, and Ryan Esson as goalkeeping coach, it all just seems to fit right for ICT. Hearing how the new recruits have fitted in is encouraging and even the new kit looks smart. The league itself looks like it'll be the most entertaining for years. It's got the feel of 2003 about it where any one could challenge for the title.

I'm interested to see what others have to say about their ICT experiences over the past two or three years and what people's thoughts are for the future of this club. There'll undoubtedly be those who say 'support the club through think and thin' and I understand that notion. Sometimes, it's just not that easy.

The last three years have been a disappointment after the heights of two thousand and fifteen and the seasons that went before it.

However, I believe that you support the club with the same enthusiasm and commitment through thick and thin.

As far as the future is concerned, there were encouraging signs in the last third of last season, I also think that we have recruited fairly well both on the playing and coaching front. It will not be easy on such a tight and still decreasing budget but there is much to be optimistic about.

For a club of our size and resourses, the dizzy heights of major cup wins or European campaigns may only come every quarter of a century or so, if they come at all.

The trick to footballing contentment is so enjoy and relish the more modest successes in the meantime and promotion back to the Premiership or maybe a run to a Scottish Cup or league Cup semi final would be a very good start in that respect.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Joonya said:

Ya glory hunting kant!! ?

(watch the red dots pile in from those not in the know)

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, Joonya said:

Did you go to Chelsea games instead? 

Glover.....The problem you mentioned earlier was that there wasnt feedback or correspondence coming from the club itself. This is a thing that can be changed . The footballing side is another matter. Of course we want the club to be successful and importantly be back in the SPL.  I hoenstly think that Robbos can do this , this year, but your main gripe was the club itself.  So what I m trying to find out is a positive from you.  What would you like to see done.?  I cant see the point is saying there is something wrong without coming back with idea on how to change it .

Ots our club and we re entiled to be heard but theres no point in just stating something is wrong without coming back with how to make it right. 

Sorry to go pre-merger but if you were a pre 1994 Caley or Jags fan then the journey has been incredible, bordering on the miraculous. A definite footballing fairy tale. There are still times that I need to slap myself to believe what has happened. Then I pour a voddie and watch SO many great post 1994 memories. Apologies but I think that Joonya's possible "problem" is that he and may others are NOT born and bred Inverness supporters. We have been through some bad times BUT the club were attached to us for eternity. Supporting the same team ALL your life says it all. Some people came across ICT as their rise started. Last season must have been a nightmare to them. To me we stayed in the Championship, won a cup and appear to have more about us. As for more nonsense about the Board. IMHO let them concentrate on the finances and the politics. The people who I want to hear from are Robbo and the players and NOT the board. And look at our management team. At least we know that 100% commitment will be prioritized. An old adage but some of the mercenaries that we have picked up in recent seasons simply did not know what "playing for the shirt" means.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Pretty straightforward, when you watch your side win, you are excited for the next game, everything is rosy. 

When you toil, you find yourself in a rage at games, it's difficult to motivate yourself to go. You question players desire and work ethic or the managers tactics. 

Either way, it's part of football. We as fans can't control it. We are extremely fortunate to have had the experiences we have. Looks just down the A96 a bit. There biggest achievement in a couple of decades is a draw with us!

Life isn't so bad after all is it.

• Like 1

But that's like life isn't it, Stirling Observer?

You no sooner think that your mortgage is paid off and  all your problems are under control and you can retire and just fade away, like old soldiers are supposed to, when  something really nasty, and very time consuming to fix,  comes right out of the blue and it seems to take nothing but time.....and time.....and time...… to sort out. :doh:

This is football and who you would support, no matter what!! This is not about your favourite t-shirt, at the moment. 

Joonya - Sorry, but I suggest you find another 'hobby/fad' if your heart's not in it. 

3 hours ago, sheepslagger said:

Glover.....The problem you mentioned earlier was that there wasnt feedback or correspondence coming from the club itself. This is a thing that can be changed . The footballing side is another matter. Of course we want the club to be successful and importantly be back in the SPL.  I hoenstly think that Robbos can do this , this year, but your main gripe was the club itself.  So what I m trying to find out is a positive from you.  What would you like to see done.?  I cant see the point is saying there is something wrong without coming back with idea on how to change it .

Ots our club and we re entiled to be heard but theres no point in just stating something is wrong without coming back with how to make it right. 

I am not wanting to elbow in on the OP but yes I have ideas on it.  I don’t think the club can afford the luxury of those fans who were pre-merger or Caley Thistle differentiating themselves as diehard, ‘true’ fans - that’s not inclusive, is very subjective, not to mention somewhat of an anachronism.  Modern times and a global world means accepting ICT might be supported alongside an EPL team or La Liga team - we shouldn’t be imposing how we became a fan or that environment on today’s fan as the world has a habit of moving on.  

I am keen for fan voice and fan engagement for a while host of reasons - governance, sustainability, continuity, balance, reciprocity, mutual benefits, harmony, etc.  Rather than my own ideas, the ideas and inspiration are at other clubs such as community-wide-Open Days (not purchase entry days) or if anyone thinks this is superfluous or indulgent take a look at DUFC as to what their supporters can do.  Fans can and do contribute hugely to many clubs (and their communities) beyond a ticket and a pie and I am yet to hear an argument why fan voice, engagement or representation is a bad thing.  By all means ‘through thick and thin’ is positive, but why does that have to be so elitist and passive?  

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, sheepslagger said:

in a way I agree but that's why the club has directors. it is their responsibility to come up with answers and male it right.

1 minute ago, caleyboy said:

in a way I agree but that's why the club has directors. it is their responsibility to come up with answers and male it right.

Maybe we could do with some women on the board then? 

9 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Sorry to go pre-merger but if you were a pre 1994 Caley or Jags fan then the journey has been incredible, bordering on the miraculous. A definite footballing fairy tale. There are still times that I need to slap myself to believe what has happened. Then I pour a voddie and watch SO many great post 1994 memories. Apologies but I think that Joonya's possible "problem" is that he and may others are NOT born and bred Inverness supporters. We have been through some bad times BUT the club were attached to us for eternity. Supporting the same team ALL your life says it all. Some people came across ICT as their rise started. Last season must have been a nightmare to them. To me we stayed in the Championship, won a cup and appear to have more about us. As for more nonsense about the Board. IMHO let them concentrate on the finances and the politics. The people who I want to hear from are Robbo and the players and NOT the board. And look at our management team. At least we know that 100% commitment will be prioritized. An old adage but some of the mercenaries that we have picked up in recent seasons simply did not know what "playing for the shirt" means.

Also IHE - "I know of quite a few supporters who have said that they will not be coming back until the mess is sorted. That could be a long time. People nowadays also look at spending their spondoolachs on things that are more entertaining and are not leading to a life of frustration, disappointment, disillusionment and anger."

I too know many fans, ironically locals, who have stayed away in recent years, so I'm not too sure how where you're born and bred has anything to do with who you support? 

7 hours ago, Caman said:

This is football and who you would support, no matter what!! This is not about your favourite t-shirt, at the moment. 

Joonya - Sorry, but I suggest you find another 'hobby/fad' if your heart's not in it. 

No need for apologies. Suggestion appreciated ?

4 hours ago, caleyboy said:

Definitely.  I don’t want to come across as negative for negative’s sake.  The insights (answers), at least a decent chunk of them, will also come from  supporters, in particular season ticket holders and youthful fans.  It thus makes sense to have such representatives rotate on the board, for a section of a particular meeting and for a set number of meetings.  I respect the experience on the board,  but no too much that it should be unilateral.  I appreciate the office of director at the club, I think the role is incredibly important, but I don’t see football clubs (ones in lower leagues that don’t buy/sell) being that structured, sensitive or executive that we cannot have a flatter model approach. 

1 hour ago, Joonya said:

Also IHE - "I know of quite a few supporters who have said that they will not be coming back until the mess is sorted. That could be a long time. People nowadays also look at spending their spondoolachs on things that are more entertaining and are not leading to a life of frustration, disappointment, disillusionment and anger."

I too know many fans, ironically locals, who have stayed away in recent years, so I'm not too sure how where you're born and bred has anything to do with who you support? 

Yes finances deffo play a part. I certainly cant afford to go to as many matches as I used to. Many locals also had their initial "bigger" teams that they used to follow and old allegiances took over - I know quite a few in that category. Juanjo Away numbers have dwindled but that also ties in with family priorities. But every club faces those issues. Attracting the kids is SO important.

• Agree 1

I've had a serious case of football apathy for a while now and I'm trying to rekindle the fire in my belly. I only went to one ICT match last season which was shocking by my standards. Weather and travel problems didn't help but at least I can't be blamed for any of the postponements lol. Winning the cup and entering a Euro comp was a high for me but where do we go from there? We were in a (boring) league that we could never win and the ambition for those days was to finish in top six and avoid relegation. Great! I will always love ICT as they have given many happy days...and long trips. Rekindling of the fire starts tonight at home against Raith Rovers. One thing that does annoy me is at some games you have to buy a ticket in advance. That is no good to me and I will not take the risk of buying one just in case circumstances dictate that I can't go. An example of this is Hearts next Sunday...according to info you can not buy a ticket on the day for the away end. How ridiculous is that? Mon the Caley Jays.

2 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

The club does have open days i.e. Halloween xmas etc when the kids can meet the players! It's football wer a small club gotta take the rough with the smooth the day I'd rather go round Homebase on a Saturday than watch ICT is a sad day! COYC

And it is very, very sage to do this as attachments are formed in the younger years.  I applaud the coaching, biggest home game and holiday/festival initiatives that have been in place for some time now.  Regarding the adult supporter, if we look back at last season the sponsor evening, tickets for it couldn’t be given away (literally) which strikes me as quite odd.  It is my opinion that there needs to be a better engagement with all sections of the support.  A family club it is but the initiatives and efforts should be across the support base.  Younger fans generally don’t worry themselves about who the board is or what the behind the scenes look like - rightly so - but the club is not a 90minute operation and a lot of work goes into that 90 minutes, on and off the park.  I’m not suggesting fans start coaching!  I am suggesting you, me or whoever have more to offer the club in addition to attendance, sponsoring Liam, buying a shirt, etc. and at least the offer/facility should be there.  Just because it isn’t in place doesn’t mean that that is normative.  Attachments formed early on still need topping up.

Edited by Glover
Last sentence

I have a certain amount of empathy with Joonya's feelings - for me the depression started kicking in a few hours after we left Hampden, the feeling that it was never going to be this good again!. That, on top of the ridiculous league setup and the oddball decisions fired out by the FA every now and again does reduce your enthusiasm for the game in general, however, it does not diminish your love for the club and your undying support. I don't get home nearly as often as I used to so rarely manage to get to games these days, that's solely down to finances and nothing to do with not wanting to turn up and cheer on the CaleyJags at every game no matter what division we are in or how well we are doing at the time. I suspect there are many others in a similar situation. I'd love to move back home and do find it a wee bit difficult to understand the poor attendance at home games, however, for many it's not a cheap day out and if you're not enjoying it I'm sure it's pretty hard to justify the expense. Hopefully, last season's great revival and the newly restored spirit within the club will help bring back some of the missing support.

• Agree 1