Hearts Game

1 hour ago, cif73 said:

Is that any different from what the "vultures" were saying?!

JR was bang on by the way and nobody is calling for his head.

Regarding form, Hearts came into this game beating Cove by a goal and Raith on pens. Wow!!

In that context, the 2nd best team in the group getting pumped by 5 (4 of which were crosses that could have been defended better) is a disappointing result ... surely in anyone's book.

JR also rightly said we should be able to set ourselves up to not lose by 4.

'Nough said.   

The Tarts actually came into this game off the back of a 5-0 against Cowdenbeath and had sorted out their issues from the first two games. They showed in parts how good a team they could be and overall I'm not that worried as we won't be facing that quality many times this season. Ok it was a bad day at the office and the result was disappointing, but lessons have been learnt and I doubt we'll be on the receiving end of a similar result any time soon - bring on the Bairns!

2 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Of course it is vultures. There should not be any of this species of posters flying about and spreading their venom at this stage of the season. I am calm and it is raw but again hopefully a big learning curve. What form - against who ? Again watch the first 3 goals. Hearts had a better team and then they had confidence and the impulse to go for the jugular.

So any bit of criticism is vultures mon bud that performance was shocking hearts are no Barcelona we were gutless at the back and clueless up top! A defeat of that scale bound to knock the players confidence! Learning curve surely they learnt enough about embarrassing defeats at the start of last season! Need to put in a far better performance against Falkirk when it really matters!

• Agree 3
  • Facepalm 1

wow not the result we all wanted but Hearts were very good today.

on reflection need to look at defence but they had quality balls in for the goals in all fairness, White up top was certainly a positive won his fair share of balls and has a decent touch,him and Austin will link up well durinv the season.

Championship is what is important

A bit of a shame about getting knocked out like that, but losing out to Hearts (rather than Falkirk last year) is no disgrace...sounds like we were in the game but got caught by a goal blitz.

Don't have BT Sport so didn't get to see it on the TV

Anyway I've booked my first flying visit up fo the QoS game, late September, so excited about that, so I just want Caley to park that game as a 'lessons to be learned' for a young side and start the league season positively

• Agree 1

An absolutely appalling performance, we got the result we deserved.

Chalmers and Trafford were liabilities in midfield and our defence couldn’t cope with anything. Abysmal and a much truer reflection of where we are than wins over a Highland League side, the worst team in the Scottish leagues and a chaos riven Raith team.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, ictchris said:

An absolutely appalling performance, we got the result we deserved.

Chalmers and Trafford were liabilities in midfield and our defence couldn’t cope with anything. Abysmal and a much truer reflection of where we are than wins over a Highland League side, the worst team in the Scottish leagues and a chaos riven Raith team.

And I suppose that you were impressed by Polworth and Doran ? Robbo set up a team to defend and play on the break. Understandable but Levein sussed it and went wide and direct. How many defences would have defended those first three goals ? And prior to today Hearts had illegally beaten a Highland league side, had won on penalties at a chaotic Raith team and beaten a 10 man last year worst team in the Scottish League. 

1 hour ago, Alan Simpson said:

So any bit of criticism is vultures mon bud that performance was shocking hearts are no Barcelona we were gutless at the back and clueless up top! A defeat of that scale bound to knock the players confidence! Learning curve surely they learnt enough about embarrassing defeats at the start of last season! Need to put in a far better performance against Falkirk when it really matters!

Criticism is criticism. Vultures are predators and are overly critical and waiting for things to go wrong. People who bollicked the likes of Vigurs and Polly last season. First defeat in how many ? It feckin happens. 

• Disagree 1

Really surprised at how willing folk are to brush this result off. We should be in the next round of the League Cup. All we had to do was avoid being pumped 4 - 0 but we somehow went one better and conceded five. It was a lamentable showing from us today with a lot to think about going into the league opener next weekend.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 7

Just now, RiG said:

Really surprised at how willing folk are to brush this result off. We should be in the next round of the League Cup. All we had to do was avoid being pumped 4 - 0 bit we somehow went one better and conceded five. It was a lamentable showing from us today with a lot to think about going into the league opener next weekend.

I suppose that if I was there I may feel different. Hearts were a different class today and would have hammered most teams.

IHE is right. Those first three goals were unstoppable, brilliantly executed. Ridgers didn't have a chance. After that no wonder we struggled. We lost the game in midfield really, we couldn't stop them swamping us there and delivering balls out to the sides with ease. A lesson learned, and even then there were chinks of light in our counter attacks. We have a bit of growing up to do, but the season has't started yet., so I wouldn't draw any long term conclusions from it, other than we are a championship side and they are a SPL side. The difference was obvious. Ikpeazu looks like a star.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Really surprised at how willing folk are to brush this result off. We should be in the next round of the League Cup. All we had to do was avoid being pumped 4 - 0 but we somehow went one better and conceded five. It was a lamentable showing from us today with a lot to think about going into the league opener next weekend.

Obviously didnt suffer it in person like us? 

Robbo got this so wrong. Wrong team, wrong set up and quite frankly outclassed. Why oh why didnt we just set out not to get gubbed. That was all we needed to do to get into next round. Really bizarre subs too although Tremarco looked to have a knock. Doran and Walsh our best players probably. 

Im now concerned re whats to come tbh. Players looked shell shocked and knackered at the end  

• Agree 3

McKay Chalmers and Trafford were poor today. Really hope McCart starts against Falkirk. We don't really have a proper defensive midfielder which could be a major issue. Trafford and Chalmers have proven they can't play this role. If Robbo changes the personnel and can perhaps bring in a loanee to break up play it could be the difference between a playoff place or sitting 7/8th. 

• Like 1

Judging by the comments on here so far, the defence seems to need a lot of work by Robbo,. I have always had the viewpoint  that a strong defence is mandatory for a team to be, or aspire to becoming,  a winner. If the opposing team can't score then they can't win.

The word "complacency" seems to have, maybe, struck the whole team including J.R before this match. Too many wins against inferior and lower class teams prior to this match can do that. Was the emphasis on upgrading team fitness, perhaps, rather than on team work?  If so, this must surely be a salutary lesson and allow John to reflect on setting a different course from now on?

The defence can't go far away from their area of play  to mix it up and the forwards can roam with impunity ONLY if they strongly have confidence in the defence. And if the ball can be  kept up the park then they can exercise their latent talents by experimenting with confidence and ease....i.e. with flair.

Good luck John Robertson

10 hours ago, The Long Man said:

IHE is right. Those first three goals were unstoppable, brilliantly executed. Ridgers didn't have a chance. After that no wonder we struggled. We lost the game in midfield really, we couldn't stop them swamping us there and delivering balls out to the sides with ease. A lesson learned, and even then there were chinks of light in our counter attacks. We have a bit of growing up to do, but the season has't started yet., so I wouldn't draw any long term conclusions from it, other than we are a championship side and they are a SPL side. The difference was obvious. Ikpeazu looks like a star.

The first goal was poor defending from a corner. There's no way an opposition player should be getting the time to hit a first time shot under little pressure in the penalty area. A fantastic finish though it was it was poor defending from us.

Whilst the free kick was unstoppable the play leading up to it was again sloppy by ourselves. For almost the entire game Trafford and Chamlers struggled to play the ball out from the back and here we conceded the free kick initially after more slack play just outside our own box.

The third goal was a relatively simple hit the byline and stand a cross up to the back post. We defended the initial run poorly and looked lost when the ball came into the box.

Four crosses, four goals. That's a sign of really poor play from your defenders and yesterday none of our back line can really emerge from the game with their heads held high.

Edited by RiG

That was a poor poor result, it's never nice to get a 5-0 drubbing even if it is to a team in a higher league. We certainly had our chances to score in the game and in the 1st 25 minutes it was anyone's. Some class goals from hearts but our defending from crosses was dreadful. No team in our league has close to the quality hearts do so I am fully expecting a comfortable top 4 finish this season. Bring it on!!! 

Probably a very good result - ICT do have a habit of over confidence especially early in the season. As usual some people suggested Falkirk away, Ayr at home and Alloa away would result in 9 easy points - regardless of the quality Hearts showed yesterday, I cannot see any easy points this season so hopefully the team work their socks off in training this week and prepare for 3 massive games to start the season. 

We absolutely have to hit the ground running this season. No room for our usual slow start. It will be so tight I can't see there being any breathing space for us to get up to speed.

I do worry that to be dumped out of the cup in such a manner as this may be confidence sapping. However as depressing as yesterday was we can't let it set the tone. 

15 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

Celtic at home it would have been. We would have been out anyway. 

Probably but a fair bit wealthier in the process at a time when we are desperately short of cash.

Yes Hearts were good, yes they are a cut above us in terms of quality but we were in the fortunate position of knowing precisely what we had to do and that was merely to avoid defeat by four or more goals and, despite being armed with that advantage, failed in that task.

Not a disaster as the cups are not our priority but still a considerable disappointment which does not merit being brushed off so casually.

• Agree 2

The best team won who can argue with that. The 5 goal margin was a true reflection of the play .  numbers for the draw are I am told are based on the alphabet, so as the letter   P is well away from the letter  I , I think to suppose ICT would draw Celtic is  probably incorrect.

I think  that  Caley would have learned a lot from the defeat .  The manager and coaches will know which aspects of  the team's tactics we have to improve on . The commentators on BT sport  picked up on centre backs getting in too close to the striker, good stickers especially big ones make a point of backing up into the centre back, it cuts down the backs room to manoeuvre.

To mix completely a  well known metaphor  "every silver lining has a cloud".

The real season is ahead of us, as Charles Dickens once wrote, " The best steels have been through the fire ",  Caley certainly went through the fire on Sunday, lets see if they are stronger for  the future league battles.

Unreal how people are brushing this of wel learn from it learn what last season had a similiar result at Dunfermline and went on to produce over the next couple of months some of the worst football iv ever seen! I'm raging about it defo need to get out more!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's a good point Lawrence makes about the teams in the draw having a ball number allocated according to alphabetical order.  Had we lost to Hearts by less than 4 goals we would have been 3rd in alphabetical order of the non-seeded sides whereas Partick are 5th.  As it happens Kilmarnock are the 3rd in alphabetical order so we would likely have got The Rangers at home with Kilmarnock away at Livi and Motherwell hosting Celtic instead.

Anyhow, that's all rather incidental and the reality is that we aren't in the draw and that is disappointing.  I didn't watch the game but it sounds more like a bit of a reality check than a disaster.  As I said earlier, knowing you can afford to lose the game but not by too much plays tricks with your mental attitude, and with Hearts needing to shake off some poor early season form and prove a point following the loss of points from the Cove game.  It was a thumping waiting to happen.  It sounds as though Hearts had a good day at the office and were clinical in front of goal.  

We are unlikely to face a team in the Championship that will be able to so ruthlessly exploit our defensive frailties, but it is important that the fact that those frailties exist has been so clearly demonstrated. Part of the problem is undoubtedly the lack of bite in midfield following Vigurs' departure,  as is the general lack of experience in the team.  I worry that many folk have too high an expectation of this squad in what looks to be a significantly more competitive  Championship than last year.  I think the squad has promise for the future and will certainly have some very good results this season.  The shortcomings in the side will also mean we will lose matches we perhaps ought to win and the net result of that could well be ending the season  in much the same position as last.  It will be a long and hard season but for all the disappointment, I think the heavy defeat to Hearts is a reality check and will be helpful in preparing the team for the challenges ahead.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2