Hearts Game

Thanks only to the SPFL looking out for their prized big central belt team we are not already through as group winners. 

We will likely qualify as a best second-placed team even if we lose on Sunday (in any case, we will know this by the time we play as the other groups will conclude on Saturday).

If we win or draw, we win the group and send Hearts packing which would be very sweet and would ensure our unbeaten run stretching back to mid-March continues.

And that is how football should be decided....on the park.

Hearts made an administrative error and the player was there's, had been there's and had agreed the extended contract...it just hadn't been registered.  It is not as if they played a player who could/would not have been eligible if not for that fact.  We can go with all the faux outrage, but in reality, they gained no real competitive advantage.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

And that is how football should be decided....on the park.

Hearts made an administrative error and the player was there's, had been there's and had agreed the extended contract...it just hadn't been registered.  It is not as if they played a player who could/would not have been eligible if not for that fact.  We can go with all the faux outrage, but in reality, they gained no real competitive advantage.

Rules should be rules. I have recently been at the wrong end of a bureaucratic decision. :whistle:Oh and tell that to the team that misses out on going through. The decision to take the 3 points of Hearts could not have been argued against. Hearts only have to win 1-0 now.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PumpFake said:

We will likely qualify as a best second-placed team even if we lose on Sunday (in any case, we will know this by the time we play as the other groups will conclude on Saturday).

There's no likely about it.  If we lose to Hearts then we have 9 points and at best, a goal difference of plus 5. In groups D,E and F it looks as though the 2nd placed team will do better than than that.  It is also perfectly possible in groups A, B and G and I would expect the 2nd placed team of at least one of those to do better than 9 points and plus 5 goals difference.

In Group D, Dunfermline and Dundee should win both their remaining games.  If Dundee beat either Brechin or Peterhead by more than one goal then they will have 9 points and their goal difference would be plus 6.

In Group E, Ayr and Partick both have 9 points and play each other.  A draw assures both progress.  Ayr have a goal difference of plus 9 and Partick plus 5.  If Partick take anything out of the game  then both will have a better record than us.  

In Group G if Motherwell either beat Clyde or draw and win the penalty shoot out, they will better our record.  Queen of the South have played all their games and have 9 points and a plus 7 goal difference.

In Group A, County have to play Arbroath tomorrow (which they should win to go onto 9 points) and then Alloa at the weekend.  If Alloa take anything out of that game then they will better our record.  Whether County could afford to lose narrowly to Alloa would depend on their margin of victory against Arbroath.  

In Group B both St Johnstone and Montrose have to play Forfar.  One would expect to Motherwell to beat them to top the group but Montrose would come second on 9 points if they also beat Forfar.  Currently they have  a goal difference of plus 1. Whether they pip us would depend on how much they win by and how heavily we lose

In Group F, Livi should beat Berwick to top the group with 11 points.  But if Airdrieonians beat Hamilton then they will have 9 points and a goal difference of at least plus 6.

The one scrap of consolation is that it is impossible for the 2nd placed team in group H to reach 9 points.

Based on that I would suggest that if we lose to Hearts then we probably won't qualify.  But as you say, at least we will know whether we need to take something out of the game or whether we can actually afford to lose and, if so, by how much.  Things will be a little clear tomorrow night.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

There's no likely about it.  If we lose to Hearts then we have 9 points and at best, a goal difference of plus 5. In groups D,E and F it looks as though the 2nd placed team will do better than than that.  It is also perfectly possible in groups A, B and G and I would expect the 2nd placed team of at least one of those to do better than 9 points and plus 5 goals difference.

In Group D, Dunfermline and Dundee should win both their remaining games.  If Dundee beat either Brechin or Peterhead by more than one goal then they will have 9 points and their goal difference would be plus 6.

In Group E, Ayr and Partick both have 9 points and play each other.  A draw assures both progress.  Ayr have a goal difference of plus 9 and Partick plus 5.  If Partick take anything out of the game  then both will have a better record than us.  

In Group G if Motherwell either beat Clyde or draw and win the penalty shoot out, they will better our record.  Queen of the South have played all their games and have 9 points and a plus 7 goal difference.

In Group A, County have to play Arbroath tomorrow (which they should win to go onto 9 points) and then Alloa at the weekend.  If Alloa take anything out of that game then they will better our record.  Whether County could afford to lose narrowly to Alloa would depend on their margin of victory against Arbroath.  

In Group B both St Johnstone and Montrose have to play Forfar.  One would expect to Motherwell to beat them to top the group but Montrose would come second on 9 points if they also beat Forfar.  Currently they have  a goal difference of plus 1. Whether they pip us would depend on how much they win by and how heavily we lose

In Group F, Livi should beat Berwick to top the group with 11 points.  But if Airdrieonians beat Hamilton then they will have 9 points and a goal difference of at least plus 6.

The one scrap of consolation is that it is impossible for the 2nd placed team in group H to reach 9 points.

Based on that I would suggest that if we lose to Hearts then we probably won't qualify.  But as you say, at least we will know whether we need to take something out of the game or whether we can actually afford to lose and, if so, by how much.  Things will be a little clear tomorrow night.

Groups A, F and H at least sound like if the favourites in the higher league win then we will be fine, which has to be considered likely. Montrose are away to Forfar in Group B so the chances are they won't rack up the goals, especially given they've only scored two so far.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Double yellow lines - why stop there if there is no emergency ?

Because they had been on shift for hours, needed water, the ambulance doesn't fit into the bays and the only other option was a disabled space....also those double yellows are in a private carpark, so legally mean nothing.

10 hours ago, CaleyD said:

Should rules always be rules?

They are both wrong!!

He should have let it go.

She should know better. 

Hearts are nothing special. They have made wholesale changes and the squad hasn't gelled. We are the polar opposite, the players know each other and are on a good unbeaten run. They should be fearing us. They need the win and are at home. This suits us, our problem seems to be creativity, if they come at us, we have more space to attack. Perfect situation. Let's not play for second, let's win and gaurantee a seeded spot in the next round. 

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Naelifts said:

What is the ticketing arrangement for this fixture please?

Buy in advance. Deadline is 2 pm today I believe but if you can get someone to collect them for you tickets can still be bought until Friday. No tickets on the day (though this has changed in the past).

12 hours ago, PumpFake said:

Groups A, F and H at least sound like if the favourites in the higher league win then we will be fine, which has to be considered likely. Montrose are away to Forfar in Group B so the chances are they won't rack up the goals, especially given they've only scored two so far.

We can avoid such a lottery by taking at least a point from Tynecastle. It may be another step up in quality for us but we have coped with every step up so far and are perfectly capable of doing so again on Sunday.

4 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

We can avoid such a lottery by taking at least a point from Tynecastle. It may be another step up in quality for us but we have coped with every step up so far and are perfectly capable of doing so again on Sunday.

We can't avoid the lottery as it occurs before our game. We won't lose though, you're right.

After Ross County's humiliating 4-1 defeat by Arbroath tonight (in which Roy's Boys were ably captained by the Pirlo of the North, Iain Vigurs) as well as East Fife beating Montrose, the revised permutations are thus:

- 2nd place in Group A cannot finish above us

- 2nd place in Group B cannot finish above us

Edited by Guest

Bad crack that I can't be a "late" walk up to Tynie on Sunday to buy a ticket for the away end. I'm in Ayr on holiday just now and had a late change of plans due to an offer to stay with friends in Edinburgh on Saturday night before heading back to Inverness on Sunday. I had therefore looked into going to this game but with the ticketing set up it seems that I can't. It's not as if it will be a sell out at the home or away ends. How f'n annoying is that? Their loss! ??

7 hours ago, Row S said:

Bad crack that I can't be a "late" walk up to Tynie on Sunday to buy a ticket for the away end. I'm in Ayr on holiday just now and had a late change of plans due to an offer to stay with friends in Edinburgh on Saturday night before heading back to Inverness on Sunday. I had therefore looked into going to this game but with the ticketing set up it seems that I can't. It's not as if it will be a sell out at the home or away ends. How f'n annoying is that? Their loss! ??

My thoughts exactly and I believe this is not the first time it's happened at Hearts. Totally ridiculous and unnecessary in this competition (or any comp' come to that).  What happens to those who have purchased tickets in advance and through no fault of their own can't make the game....do they get a refund? I very much doubt it. Not worth the risk in losing money in my view so I stay at home.

I got my ticket yesterday, I see the club have tweeted out that no more tickets are available.  Have we sold out our allocation?

ETA - I understand we didn't sell them out, tickets have been sent back.

Edited by ictchris

On 7/25/2018 at 11:55 PM, Row S said:

Was about to suggest you use your Hearts season ticket...but that won't be valid for this game ?