Bairns Away

vincent-reuters.jpg.4f0fd0a464dd5e929e1b

Didn't bring the picture up just becos I liked it but what a chant yesterday and first time in my life that I have joined in to a Jaggie orientated chant - Pointing at the Bairns fans and singing "When the Jags went up to lift the Scottish Cup YOU were there"

• Funny 5

Think most fans would be in agreement that first half we looked very comfortable and should have killed the game. 2nd half Falkirk had numerous set pieces and crosses and we rode our luck. The 2nd half we made no effort to control the game and attempted to hit on the break by playing direct. Meant for a horrible and nervous watch but we rode our luck and held on. First time I have seen the new signings. Rooney, big lad, seemed to be caught rather high sometimes. But generally stopped Lewis although in possession he was rather mince. Walsh was very impressive in the first half, always looking to take on his man and get a cross in or shot away. 2nd half didn't suit him and we couldn't get him on the ball as much. Welsh did okay.

Overall 3 points away from home is a big plus, even though Falkirk were poor. I suspect we will need to be on top form for Saturday. Hoping someone signs shankland before then. 

@RiG pretty much has it covered. We did start well and played some fluent stuff, but I was surprised that Falkirk stood off us so much and allowed us to do so. I'd have thought, given our decent record against Falkirk last season, that Paul Hartley would have recognised the importance of getting his players to press high against Chalmers and Trafford from the start. When they did so in the second half, they had much the better of the game. The nominal 4-4-2 formation looked a little lopsided, as while Walsh did provide some width on the left, Polworth's instinct is to play centrally - which is, in any case, his best position - and so he tended to tuck in, leaving Rooney to provide most of the width on that side. There were a couple of consequences of this: first, despite having two quite imposing forwards, we were hardly able to get any crosses into them from the wide areas in the final quarter of the pitch, which was a missed opportunity as Fasan, the Falkirk keeper, seemed very reluctant to come off his line for high balls; and second, with Rooney being stretched as the game went on, we looked particularly vulnerable on the right hand side of defence, where Mckay was increasingly exposed. On the other hand, we probably could have killed the game in the first half when Austin was through but hesitated over his shot and ultimately hit it straight at Fasan.

It's obviously very hard to make any predictions based on the first game of a season. Falkirk have a largely new team and will undoubtedly improve; I'd like to think we will too, but I do think that under this system, it might be easy for opponents to stifle us or to take charge of matches. A bit more pace and strength in the centre though (Welsh, perhaps?) and width on the right (Doran?) and we should hopefully be able to compete with most other teams.         

Edited by alternative maryhill

• tm4tj pinned this topic
5 hours ago, Stirling Observer said:

Think most fans would be in agreement that first half we looked very comfortable and should have killed the game. 2nd half Falkirk had numerous set pieces and crosses and we rode our luck. The 2nd half we made no effort to control the game and attempted to hit on the break by playing direct. Meant for a horrible and nervous watch but we rode our luck and held on. First time I have seen the new signings. Rooney, big lad, seemed to be caught rather high sometimes. But generally stopped Lewis although in possession he was rather mince. Walsh was very impressive in the first half, always looking to take on his man and get a cross in or shot away. 2nd half didn't suit him and we couldn't get him on the ball as much. Welsh did okay.

Overall 3 points away from home is a big plus, even though Falkirk were poor. I suspect we will need to be on top form for Saturday. Hoping someone signs shankland before then. 

Agreed : should have avoided a bit of a nervy finish.

First match for me this season : overall looked a much better footballing team than the matches I saw last season.

Need to be more clinical when we are on top : anything other than a win would have been a total travesty.

No reason we can't win this league.

Three points next week!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DWH said:

Agreed : should have avoided a bit of a nervy finish.

First match for me this season : overall looked a much better footballing team than the matches I saw last season.

Need to be more clinical when we are on top : anything other than a win would have been a total travesty.

No reason we can't win this league.

Three points next week!

Feck me - were you sitting in direct sunlight ? ?

Agree with DWH we were by far the better team on the day,however as like so many games we need to try and get two ahead as a one goal lead is always precarious.

Trafford was very good and so was Donaldson with Walsh having a good first half too, keeper was decent too.

Oakley really looked well up for the game unlike Austin on Saturday, I think Him and White would be a massive handful for defenders from the start, leaving Austin and young Daniel ,who would be better inpact players imo, to come off the bench after our two physical players have roughed up the defenders.

Cant ask for anymore from first game of season away from Home.

You would think Austin would have been pumped for a return to the club who released him to prove a point. I'm just not sure he is what we need up front. He doesn't seem to want to play just meanders up front doesn't chase balls. Bit concerned as we are at the start ofnthe season when energy levels should be at their best.

7 hours ago, MorayJaggie said:

You would think Austin would have been pumped for a return to the club who released him to prove a point. I'm just not sure he is what we need up front. He doesn't seem to want to play just meanders up front doesn't chase balls. Bit concerned as we are at the start ofnthe season when energy levels should be at their best.

So far he has scored on average every second game since he came here. Hardly a disaster.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic