Bairns Away

An away win and a clean sheet against a team to probably have a bigger budget than us this season is an excellent way to start the league campaign.

A similar result on day one last season would have seen us in the play offs. A lot of hard work lies ahead but to see us start this season in the manner we ended last is very encouraging.

• Like 1

Great start to the season. I was a bit worried when we scored so early. I half thought we would be winning with 5 mins to go, only to lose a late equaliser. Lets hope we build on this, as our great form in the League continues where it left off ?

20 minutes ago, Eagle4Caley said:

Mind you Hearts got an impressive win away today, perhaps indicative of a gap in class?

Yup I agree with that... Good to see hearts get that win today confirms what I thought last week... That we were beaten by a very strong and composed Premier League side. We didn't do a whole lot wrong before the 3rd went in 

• Agree 2

Delighted with that result, the Tarts result today helps to put last week in perspective. Given the worries from so many about the effect that hammering may have had on us, getting the away win was impressive. Looking forward to hearing how it all went from those lucky enough to be there...

24 minutes ago, Huisdean said:

Crowd was around 4500. If only we could get gates like that on a regular basis, what a difference that would make to our finances. Great result though.

We struggled to get that every week in the premiership.

38 minutes ago, Huisdean said:

Crowd was around 4500. If only we could get gates like that on a regular basis, what a difference that would make to our finances. Great result though.

Falkirk, with a population smaller than Inverness, has always supported their team In greater numbers than us. That was obvious when they took six thousand more to the cup final than we did.

All the more credible then that we have been much more of a fixture in the top league than them or the likes of Dunfermline, who are similarly well supported, over the last two decades and have won more major silverware.

Well we rode our luck today. Funnily enuff it could have been 3-0 in the end. Disappointing performance but will take the three points. It was a 4-4-2 formation. Will post a report later but Donaldson was superb, Ridgers was solid and Oakley was also impressive up front. The swirling wind may have had an effect but the second half was backs to the wall and far too much hoofing. Gawd do we need a midfield general. Reckon we would have murdered them if Vigurs was playing. Three points and a clean sheet will do nicely. Wonder how many attempts on goal by Falkirk went off target ?

I look forward to the match report, particularly views on the disallowed Falkirk goal which sounded controversial. The BBC said we just about deserved to win the match, and Austin should have nabbed a second.

Great to start with a win, and a "top of the table" game beckons next Saturday! I hope we get a decent home crowd.

I assume Doran sat it out due to it being a plastic pitch (?), but sounds like Walsh is turning into a great signing.

Roll on next Saturday!!

2 hours ago, Caley Stan said:

I hear we played 3-5-2 with Walsh and Rooney the wing-backs. I assume that means Tremarco played on the left of the back 3. Great to hear that it worked out but was there any indication in pre-season or League Cup that Robbo was working on this?

Didn't look like that to me. As IHE says it was a 442 / 4411 for most of the game. Polworth spent most of the game tucking inside which brutally exposed Rooney on a number of occasions and led to Mckay getting dragged out of the middle to cover when he (Rooney) was taken apart. Left side was more impressive with Tremarco and Walsh getting a lot more joy especially in the first half with the latter sending over a number of good crosses and setting up the goal. When Walsh went off for Welsh Chalmers was moved to left midfield and Welsh slotted into the centre with Trafford. Austin and Oakley played as a two up front with Oakley often dropping slightly deeper to challenge for high balls.

We got very lucky today. Despite a good start we regressed more and more as the game wore on. Falkirk really came to dominate things as the match wore on but more often than not they ran out of ideas as they got closer to our goal. Walsh, as mentioned above, started well down the left and he set up the opener with a ball across the box sent in from the left and Oakley found a bit of space to divert the ball back across goal and into the net. We should have killed the game off when Austin found himself with a free run on goal after a defensive mix up but he never looked like he would score and he was smothered by the onrushing Falkirk keeper. 

Falkirk thought they pulled level when a high free kick was headed beyond Ridgers but after a loooong delay, and with the players about to take the kick off, it was suddenly pulled back. I've no idea why the Falkirk goal was chopped off but I'm guessing it was a foul on one of Rooney, Donaldson or Mckay as they all ended up in a heap when the ball was floated in. The referee hadn't given anything but it seemed the linesman was the one who saw something wrong.

Following on from that we resorted to brutal route one football with aimless hoofs up the park for Oakley and later White to try and chase. Bizarrely we even seemed to be targeting Mckay with these long balls rather than White and these high balls were easily mopped up by the defenders. The one occasion we did get the ball down and pass it around we looked good. Chalmers, Welsh and Trafford quickly played the ball around 3 or 4 home players who were left chasing shadows so it was disappointing that we seemed to lack the composure to do this more often though perhaps that was more to Falkirk closing us down a lot better in the second half than the first.

Falkirk look exactly what we were like this time last season, a team clearly lacking cohesion due to so many new faces so we definitely got them at a good time. Whilst it's a very encouraging result I think we need to be cautious given how poor we were in the second half. Donaldson, Tremarco, Walsh and Oakley were probably my picks from today. Donaldson was excellent at the back although there were a couple of lapses on occasions. Tremarco and Walsh linked well down the left and the latter offered good defensive cover as well. Oakley was a handful up front but faded as the game went on.

Edited by RiG
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

Excellent summary from RiG and not much that can be added. Austin had another clear chance late on when the defender slipped. A continual moan of mine is strikers with no composure. Iain Stewart or probably Dargo would have finished that. A decent striker has the presence of mind to lift the ball. Others just panic and blast it. Polly shot wide in stoppage time which went on for ever.

Rooney is, like most full backs, torn to bits by anybody running at him, but showed some amazing touches in possession. Walsh, predictably, is good with the ball at his feet but seemed to spend the whole second half chasing long high balls up the line which were hoovered up by the right back.

i liked the look of Jordan White against Cowden but against better teams in the last two games his limitations are clear. Some size of a boy though.

Edit - just realised RiG meant the same Austin chance as I did. But he had a decent chance first half where he dilly-dallied. 

Edited by TheMantis

2 minutes ago, MorayJaggie said:

Why was the team playing in last year's away kit?

I wondered that 2, can only assume the black would clash with Falkirks home strip but then surely in that case we wear the home strip? Bit odd 

Just watched the highlights. Hard to see why the Falkirk "goal" was disallowed but we seemed to create more.

When we move it quickly we look good. Mackay' quick free kick late on us a good example, leading to the good chance for Polworth.

Good to start with a win!

Well I don't think that I could actually go better than RIG's summary but I will add my own wee Smileymometer:

IDGERS :groovy:  Never actually looked troubled, went for most crosses and evidently promotes confidence in front of him.

ROONEY ? Wow does this lad have potential but he is a Jekyll and feckin Hyde. 80% positive but he has the same reaction at times as my grandson has to a feckin Slush Puppie.

McKAY  ? Protected more by Donaldson. Did nothing wrong but still worries me.

DONALDSON ? MOM

TREMARCO :groovy: "You will never get past Tremarco" - enuff said.

POLWORTH ? Totally wasted IMHO playing wide. Lets give him the playmaker role.

CHALMERS ? Welsh is the better option but he always competes.

TRAFFORD ? Works hard but suspect that he may make way for Welsh and Doran.

WALSH :groovy: Looks class. Hope that he shows that more at home games.

AUSTIN ? Should have finished it at 2-0. Not at his best but has potential. 

OAKLEY ? Worked and worked and played for the shirt - RESPECT

• tm4tj pinned this topic
  • tm4tj unpinned this topic