Alan Hercher

RiG

So very sad and sorry to hear that. As a Thistle fan I grudgingly admired him and after the merger I was delighted that he was playing for my team rather than against it.

A credit to himself and to to sometime unfairly maligned community from which he came and sincere condolences to those close to him for their untimely bereavement. A part of our club history and will always be remembered as such.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Very sad news indeed, especially in such a young man. I was a Thistle fan who wished we could have had him playing for us. He was such a good midfielder,  box to box, strong in the tackle and a goal threat. Being the first Caley Thistle captain, he will always be remembered  and be part of the clubs history.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

The name  Hercher resonates from my early youth. And that was a long time ago since I am now 80 years old.

I recall the name "The Hercher Brothers" spoken about by my father  who I think did business with them as  the owner of The Northern Tire Service on Shore Street.

Were they not involved in the shows that came to Nairn annually? I think they were and if I am not mistaken my sister and I once got a free ride on whatever piece of equipment they owned. Can anyone bring back memories by confirming  what is in my mind?

Thanks. 

RIP Herchie. ICT legend who scored our first ever league goal. Thoughts with his family and friends. Cancer takes another that didn't deserve to go. 

Heard about the fact that Alan was ill and terminal a couple of weeks back but as it was not public I thought better not to mention things on CTO.

Having had the chance to work alongside Alan (as well as watching him play) I can say that this was a pleasure.

Thoughts are with his family and friends.

• Agree 1

• Scotty pinned and featured this topic

This was one of my earliest ICT memories and it involved Hercher.

After going 2 - 0 up on Livi in the (Scottish?) Cup we were eventually pegged back to 3 - 2 but then, pretty much right from kick off, Hercher was played in and he stabbed home the winner :smile:

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, RiG said:

This was one of my earliest ICT memories and it involved Hercher.

Great bit of nostalgia and captures the early days very well .. MacArthur, Teasdale, Christie, Hercher ... we didnt realise we had it so good at the time (or maybe we did)  ... As a "young" club we haven't experienced the loss of any club legends like other teams' supporters have until now, and because many of us recall those games from the perspective of having been there its even harder to get your head around it. Still cant take it in really. 

Really hope the club do something - in consultation with the family - to recognise and remember his role as part of the club as player, captain, and as a supporter too. 

• Like 4

I heard while watching his very talented son play at Belladrum that he was very close to the end. 

Condolences to his family and friends, far too young an age.

Hope there will be a minutes silence for him tomorrow. RIP. 

10 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Hope there will be a minutes silence for him tomorrow. RIP. 

A minute's silence or applause .... either way there will be quite a few tears. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

I know that he had a testimonial many years ago but can the club please look into organising a benefit match for his family ? I am sure that the ground would be well filled whatever the opposition.

What a fantastic idea, Kingsmills...I, for one, would love to see this happen.

Alan Hercher will never be forgotten....taken far too soon at a shockingly young age.

• Agree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic