Inverness CT -V- Ayr Utd

Scotty

We all did stupid and I'll considered things as teenagers. It's part of learning, growing and maturing but directing abuse against the entirely innocent members of a player's family just because he might not be having the best of games is utterly appalling conduct whatever your age.

It's not the ICT way and needs to stop now. Some acknowledgment that it was wrong and an apology to go with it would demonstrate an element of maturity that was missing from those concerned yesterday afternoon.

• Agree 5

Quite frankly never seen anything like this in football. Liam Polworth has come through the ranks at Caley, 25 assists last season, clearly the only one with the ability to unlock a defence and yet the abuse he gets from some sections beggars belief. It hardly matters what kind of game he's having either. So many "supporters" seem worryingly ready to rail on him at the slightest thing. This isn't in my head, hear it all around me every home game.

Yesterday as an example, Mackay came on and took a touch that would've resulted in an outcry had it been Poli. But because it was Mackay? Total silence. Get behind your players and learn something about the game you're supposedly watching, you know who you are, absolute disgrace. You only need to listen for a while to the people talking ***** about Poli to realise they don't have much of a clue how the majority of the game works, really seems like they're there to vent. I for one really hope he stays unlike that wee lemon Daniel ict or whatever his name is on Twitter who's going about delighted at the prospect of losing our only playmaker to a premier league club. That wee crew are such a stereotype, are more or less only at games for the homoerotic camaraderie, know **** all about football and I hope they see this: nothing wrong with your reasons for being at the football, that's your business, but when you're dishing out that kind of abuse expect it to come back and bite you.

Aside from that lengthy rant, we've got a very good side here if they could up the tempo at key moments and were able to add a player who can finish consistently. Still hoping Austin can be that player myself. Roll on Tuesday.

• Like 1
  • Agree 17
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, Ruairidh Morrison said:

Quite frankly never seen anything like this in football. Liam Polworth has come through the ranks at Caley, 25 assists last season, clearly the only one with the ability to unlock a defence and yet the abuse he gets from some sections beggars belief. It hardly matters what kind of game he's having either. So many "supporters" seem worryingly ready to rail on him at the slightest thing. This isn't in my head, hear it all around me every home game.

Yesterday as an example, Mackay came on and took a touch that would've resulted in an outcry had it been Poli. But because it was Mackay? Total silence. Get behind your players and learn something about the game you're supposedly watching, you know who you are, absolute disgrace. You only need to listen for a while to the people talking ***** about Poli to realise they don't have much of a clue how the majority of the game works, really seems like they're there to vent. I for one really hope he stays unlike that wee lemon Daniel ict or whatever his name is on Twitter who's going about delighted at the prospect of losing our only playmaker to a premier league club. That wee crew are such a stereotype, are more or less only at games for the homoerotic camaraderie, know **** all about football and I hope they see this: nothing wrong with your reasons for being at the football, that's your business, but when you're dishing out that kind of abuse expect it to come back and bite you.

Aside from that lengthy rant, we've got a very good side here if they could up the tempo at key moments and were able to add a player who can finish consistently. Still hoping Austin can be that player myself. Roll on Tuesday.

May I applaud you on your use of the word homoerotic sir?  I think I could confidently state that this is a first. ????????  And for the most part I think you are quite correct. ?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Glover said:

The automatic season ticket gates are to replace staffing (eventually). The online ticketing and printing will replace walk ups and lead to zero hours catering and stewarding (as clubs can pin exact attendance to ratio needed).  Catering will soon be from vending machines.  It’s the same as is being seen in supermarkets, cinemas, airports, and such like.  Sadly programmes are the price to be paid:   progress for the sake of progress.  

We always bought a programme every game, and bought our food from the catering outlet, now, because they have changed things so much, we eat before we come to the stadium, and obviously cant buy a programme, so thats lost revenu there, I wonder how many more fans do the same.

Apologies for my choice of words last night while I was still in a rage after seeing the tweet from Liam.

However, this type of harassment of our own players does nobody any good and should be stopped now before action is taken against those responsible. 

I totally agree that Liam did not have his best game, but the personal abuse is uncalled for, and as already posted very few of our players came out of this game without criticism.

Difficult to pick a clear MotM from such a lethargic performance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Disagree 1

Nobody seems to have mentioned that we had six excellent chances to score.... if not more...…... so we are doing something right..... Our trouble is finishing...…….take our chances and we will win most games 

Win games then abuse will stop...….... Most of it is...…... barring  the chants...…….. heat of the moment stuff plus frustration as is eloquently portrayed in the above apology. 

We could have and should have beaten Ayr easily,  the few attempts they had were adequately dealt with by Ridgers who is rapidly becoming the finest Keeper in the Championship.

• Agree 4

I  have seen  abusive  chants from the opposition fans in my time , but from home fans it is very uncommon

Ronnie Mauge a Bury player was playing in a game against Bolton, when the Bolton fans chanted " Ronnie Ronnie  " where's your wife " ?, shortly after it was reported in the press his wife had left him..  Various references to black players years ago, together with banana throwing , but not from home fans .

I am sure our No 7 will know the majority of supporters  would not condone this aspect of chanting ;and know he will get his form back before long.

Leaving aside the appalling behaviour of some of our so called support, I came away from the game feeling rather despondent.  Yes we have 4 points from 2 games, 2 clean sheets and an extension of a lengthy unbeaten run in the league to 13 games, but this was a very poor performance and we were fortunate to escape with a draw against 10 men.  We can't expect to play that poorly again and not get beaten.

It wasn't as though we didn't create chances - we did, but despite a long unbeaten run, we lacked the class and composure to convert what chances we did create against what was a pretty shaky Ayr defence.   As we pressed for a goal in the 2nd half there were occasions when a much more direct Ayr side carved us apart and had good chances themselves.  We were lucky that their usual shooting boots had been left down South.  They were woeful in front of goal.

I thought Donaldson had a generally decent game although he did lose possession carelessly in dangerous positions a couple of times.  Walsh looked the man most likely to make things happen and Oakley also put in a good shift. The rest were very ordinary at best.  

With Ayr down to 10 men on our wide pitch, we should have been able find space for players to run with the ball and for the ball to be played into.  Instead, our build up was usually slow, cautious and unimaginative.  There was little urgency, little running into space and pulling defenders out of position, little pace to the game and little use of the width of the park. We gave Ayr all the time in the world to get organised at the back.  Even when the ball was played wide to Tremarco the usual play was foot on the ball and then pass back inside as the defender came to him.  It might then go sidewards once or twice more before a diagonal ball was sent into the box in the hope of finding Oakley or Austin.  We rarely used the width to get behind  their defence.  As a result, chances, when they came were mostly half chances with very few clear cut chances.

I hoped that the introduction of Doran would make a difference but he  too slipped into the general lethargy of the performance.  There was precious little of quality and precious little ambition from anybody.  Having had Ayr reduced to 10 men, you would have expected the players to have sensed a real opportunity for a good win.  The fact that the team seemed to have no idea how to make the advantage tell is a worry.  It's a long time since I left TCS feeling so disappointed.

• Agree 7

1 hour ago, tm4tj said:

Apologies for my choice of words last night while I was still in a rage after seeing the tweet from Liam.

However, this type of harassment of our own players does nobody any good and should be stopped now before action is taken against those responsible. 

I totally agree that Liam did not have his best game, but the personal abuse is uncalled for, and as already posted very few of our players came out of this game without criticism.

Well said and thank you for the decency and maturity of your post. Let's hope others can learn from it!!

24 minutes ago, SMEE said:

Jeez.....2 games into the League season and some people are expecting perfection. It will take a handfull of games to settle into things.

I don't think anybody is looking for perfection but we are looking for signs that we will be competitive this season.  9 of yesterday's starting 11 were in the team that performed so well at the back of last season and with the league cup games there have now been 6 competitive games this season.  In those circumstances it is reasonable to expect a more cohesive, urgent and confident performance than we saw yesterday.

• Agree 1

Worrying that we can't beat a team who played the majority of the match with 10 men.

One goal in 180 minutes doesn't bode well : it was clear from last week's evidence (match should have been over by half time) that we are not sharp enough up front.

Defence seems capable enough so it's pretty clear where most of the attention needs to go.

• Agree 2

For me, it's the pace of the team that is the most worrying thing. Even last season, most teams would break on us with pace and could be threatening our defence in a couple of passes, while we seemed to wait till our opposition regrouped into their shape and then tried to play through them, which we couldn't do on numerous occasions. I agree with some posts on here that said we didn't stretch the Ayr back four enough, especially after they were down to 10 men. We had Walsh set up on the left and it looked like Polworth was on the right, where it is obvious that he doesn't feel comfortable to play,  as he drifts into the middle, leaving only Rooney to give us that width on the right. He struggled to get behind their defence and his crosses were not too good. We really need to find someone to hug that right touchline and maybe sacrifice a striker to have an extra man in midfield. In my opinion, maybe we could try Walsh on the right and give Calder or Ebouzedi the left flank and have Doran or Polworth playing in the hole, to support the main striker. We were just too narrow, ponderous and predictable yesterday, let's hope we can sort it out before Dunfermline come calling on Tuesday. 

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, tm4tj said:

Seriously ? Someone has the humility and good grace to apologise and gets a red dot for their troubles.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

3 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Seriously ? Someone has the humility and good grace to apologise and gets a red dot for their troubles.

I think manfers apology for his language was magnanimous. what it doesn't need is a moderator to keep fuelling the fire. according to twitter, the club are looking at this, so action will hopefully be taken. let's leave it at that 

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, davie said:

I think manfers apology for his language was magnanimous. what it doesn't need is a moderator to keep fuelling the fire. according to twitter, the club are looking at this, so action will hopefully be taken. let's leave it at that 

I have to disagree. This sort of conduct has been going on for far too long and came to a disgraceful and completely unacceptable head yesterday.

Fans are entitled to show frustration and disappointment but what happened in a small section of the North Stand was wholly out of order. Pleased that the club are conducting an enquiry and I hope that the culprits are identified but I don't accept that that should stifle debate on the subject. This is an opportunity to lance this boil once and for all otherwise, once Polworth is gone, those responsible for hounding him out will just pick on another victim and scapegoat as they've always done in the past.

10 hours ago, Ruairidh Morrison said:

Excellent first post Ruairidh.

• Agree 3

Last comment on Polly but there are more immature eggs in every hatch. Would I be right in suggesting that the "abuse" was not a collective chant but the uttering a of the lemmings trying to be one of the boys. It should not be a case of banning them but an adult bollicking and future watching. It sounds as if the game was less than entertaining!!

• Agree 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Last comment on Polly but there are more immature eggs in every hatch. Would I be right in suggesting that the "abuse" was not a collective chant but the uttering a of the lemmings trying to be one of the boys. It should not be a case of banning them but an adult bollicking and future watching. It sounds as if the game was less than entertaining!!

No not correct. 

Agree with last bit though. 

• Agree 2

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic

We could have should have won this game but the disaster that some have portrayed the dropping of two points as being has perhaps been put into some context by Ayr winning away convincingly today against Premiership opposition.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

We could have should have won this game but the disaster that some have portrayed the dropping of two points as being has perhaps been put into some context by Ayr winning away convincingly today against Premiership opposition.

I logged on just now to post something to this effect. Beaten to it. ?