Inverness CT -V- Dunfermline

Scotty

1 minute ago, Kingsmills said:

The only real priority this season is the league and we are undefeated in the Championship since March. Let's get a few more league points on the board starting with three on Saturday.

No game for us this Saturday......we are out that competition. Next game is Alloa on 25 Aug . 

3 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Surely the club wanted to at least get through to the second round of the cup they won last season?  So why did Robertson change so many players? Especially considering that we don't have a game thìs Saturday. We went all out to win this trophy last season by playing our best eleven, so why did we not give it our alĺ this time?

Again, it was obvious that the team needed width, which only happened when Walsh was introduced as a sub in the second half,  that gave us Calder on the left and Walsh on the right snd they started to get behind their back four and get crosses in. We had so many chances just begging for the right touch, but no, it wasn't to happen, and then Polworth gives the ball away on the half way line, and the rest is history. I know it's early in the season, but I'm having a bad feeling about this season already.

Agree 100% with the sentiment. The signs this early don't inspire confidence.

• Agree 2

Well, that is my hope of a 'local' match at Sutton United later in the tournament knocked on the head.  Whilst I am generally in favour of blooding youngsters, I do think we might have fielded a stronger team tonight to ensure going forward in a competition we won last year.  Not a lot left to win this year, except the championship and the Scottish cup of course.  Maybe I won't hold my breath.

£35 spent tonight to get in very steep and it was very poor first half not good second half much better when subs were made Walsh very good i was glad Trafford went off he was terrible and sorry but Polworth didnt have a good game. All this missed opportunities is going to haunt us i fear. Just where do they get such poor Ref's and linesmen ?

• Agree 2

I wasnt there but i can understand the changes. That team was strong enough to win. Several of the players in the starting line up have been on thin ice I believe and Robbo wouldn't want to make changes to an unbeaten team. However if we won tonight and several players stood out he would have a reason to make changes. Sounds like the plan backfired badly. Perhaps 3/4 changes would have sufficient. Still that team should have been good enough

We played beautifully. Only downside is the referee, ironic that the refs are sponsored by Specsavers, yet they can't see a sodding thing. It was never a penalty, it was clearly outside the box, gave away too many free kicks for no reason against us, and did nothing about the keeper taking a decade to kick the ball. Honestly, I could see us winning that game, using Hoban over Ridgers (be it he's injured or whatever reason) was a risk, an I'd say it somewhat payed off. We definitely could and should've won that game, but I don't understand why the ref didn't give any injury time? It was at least 5 or so minutes that the ball was out of play (mainly time wasting by the keeper who couldn't chose where to place the ball for the spot kick), yet he killed the game on the 90? I was getting excited about the possibility of having an away day to London or Belfast, but nope, guess that'll need to wait for next season (if we screw up our promotion chance)

46 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

The only real priority this season is the league and we are undefeated in the Championship since March. Let's get a few more league points on the board starting with three on Saturday.

I understand that, but there is a lot of difference between a team playing with confidence based on recent results, and one that will be nervous about things going wrong.

11 days to brood on this - not playing again till the 25th.

Polworth was played on the right side of midfield from the start and played horrible, as did most of our team IMO but as soon as Walsh came on we had 2 wingers, this allowed us to play with pace on both wings and Polworth moved into the centre of midfield, definitely his strongest position for us and this changed the game with his link up play. He is not a wide player. I'm struggling to find reasons why he is continually getting played out wide when it is clear that his best position for us is central midfield. Also a strong showing from Oakley and White, they linked up well on numerous occasions. potentially a different result if the changes happened earlier. Disappointing to exit the cup this early.

Edited by northstandfan
added a few words
  • Agree 5

40 minutes ago, Polo Chick said:

£35 spent tonight to get in very steep and it was very poor first half not good second half much better when subs were made Walsh very good i was glad Trafford went off he was terrible and sorry but Polworth didnt have a good game. All this missed opportunities is going to haunt us i fear. Just where do they get such poor Ref's and linesmen ?

When the subs were made it changed the game  which we should have won with the crosses that were coming in from both sides !  Polworth was poor but has never been good played wide.  As for the ref and linesman it should have been a free kick outside the box but they are all from the central belt :sad:

• Agree 2

Huge disappointment losing that given the chances we had. Both teams made quite a few changes Dunfermline starting with 7 youth players (6 of them teenagers), 2 fringe players along with Higgenbotham and Beadling. We only had 4 starting who started against Ayr on Saturday.

We did look a better balanced side this evening and there was width in our play which we didn't have on Saturday, though that might have more to do with the quality of the opposition. I thought both our full backs were brilliant, Calder especially when going forward. He looks a very good crosser of the ball. Tom Walsh had a lot more room to work in when he came on and worked very well with Rooney, even cutting in and poping a couple of shots at goal. Our midfield looked more balanced with Welsh sitting in front of the center backs and with Chalmers out there wasn't players getting in each other's way. Polworth and Trafford did a shift and tried to keep the tempo high with some quick but not always accurate passing and Doran behind the strikers and sometimes out on the left where there was space to run.

As I mentioned we had the chances, I can't fault the service, I mean the crosses into the box were perfect most of the time but most of the time who ever got their head to the ball would be under it rather than on it, the accuracy with headers in front of goal tonight was terrible. White got his head to one and got his goal but he and there were others who should have done better. This is where it went wrong tonight, had at least 2 of these gone in we would not have lost that. For as long as we keep missing in front of goal the opposition had hope.

I couldn't see the penalty incident properly I thought Brad and the Dunfermline player were shoulder to shoulder and the Pars player just went down, I didn't see if there was a trip or if it was a soft penalty award.

For most of the game they offered little threat and their winner came with their only clear chance of the 2nd half when Andy Ryan got clear and crossed low right across our box and we had switched of, nobody cleared and I think it was McCart who could have cut the cross out but 18 year old Callum Smith who was on his right as he ran back got a toe in first to put the ball past Hoban. 

I don't have a problem with the starting 11, many of the fringe players needed a game and from what I saw some were a bit rusty with the exception of Calder.

• Agree 1

Well an interesting line up tonight. Despite a defeat I felt there were far more positives than there was in the Ayr game. We created a lot of chances in the second half and had we not gifted Dunfermline a penalty (possibly should have been a free kick on the edge of the box) we may have won the game.

Thoughts on the team:

Daniel Mackay - had a great first 20-30 mins and then fell out of the game.  Has a great future but may be best used as an impact player from the bench this season.

Sean Welsh - was very composed and our best midfielder tonight. Looks a better player than Chalmers and Trafford and hope to see him start v Alloa.

Charlie Trafford -  had a terrible first half and the team seemed to lose confidence in him after his assist for their goal. I'd still play him ahead of Chalmers because he puts in a tackle.

Ricky Calder - my MOM, caused a lot of problems for Dunfermline in the second half. Creates width and he can cross a ball, would be good to see him play left midfield in front of Tremarco.

Jamie McCart - solid game and would be my preferred centre back with Donaldson.

Jordan White - great hold up play and if he gets a run of games could prove a good signing. Thought he improved further when Oakley came on and perhaps a White/Oakley strike partnership is the way forward.

Tom Walsh - created a number of chances and when we get the ball to him he always looks to go forward. Created width which we desperately needed.

Shaun Rooney - caught out for the winning goal and needs to practice his crossing.

Polworth / Doran / Brad McKay - plenty of effort but not their best games.

Robbo - the substitutions made a difference, and we were more composed with Trafford removed and Polworth playing in the middle.

And finally we need to practice corners - we had so many but there was no creativity, put into the box in hope rather than training ground moves.

• Agree 2

Should have done much better today, had ample chances but squandered them. I thought maybe the penalty foul was just outside the box but not sure. However if we keep missing it doesn't matter. They took their chance. 

Odd how we put out a lesser strength team a few games into the season, we should be looking to complete properly especially if your charging 15 quid an adult plus a fiver for wee kids too. 

All this It's good we can concentrate on the league now is utter nonsense. Virtually all the best experiences I've had with ICT in the past several years have been in cups. 

Would winning the league be preferred to winning the cup? Of course but we should be able to compete in both and certainly past this stage as holders. Very dissapointing. 

• Agree 5

Sorry to be negative but we were playing a very young pars team which we dominated for most of the game  but yet again failed to put the match to bed. On this showing I would be very surprised if we are challenging at the end of the season

I hope I'm wrong.

• Agree 4

Very frustrating game which we completely dominated.

Numerous crosses into the box, numerous corners - just couldn't score!

As for the penalty - regardless of whether the offence took place in or out of the box - it all resulted from extremely casual defending where the ball was given away in a very dangerous position, and not for the first time!

With a 250 mile round trip for home games, at least I've got a much needed week and a half to try and work up some enthusiasm to attend the next one!

• Agree 1

Once again last night, like so many games over the last year we are a team that for long periods of a game appear to give maximum effort for very little if anything of an end product..... In contrast once again, our opposition generally only have to apply minimal well timed effort but execute it with maximum effort and clinical awareness. I feel we got "lucky" with whites goal, it was a perfect pass in and white was perfectly placed to deflect it in, but in amongst a mass of defenders that will only pay off 1/10th of the time, the break that Dumfermline made looked to be at worst, a shot at target as soon as the break started. The amount of pace and space that the attackers were offered was what every team are looking for.... We occasionally get it but we never use it to our advantage and any sprint at goal fizzles out and we allow the back line to reform. Its the same old story time and time again, goals win games not chances 

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

What age is Trafford?       Has this any bearing on his performance(s)?

I think he is 24?  I have always thought he puts in a shift for us but as ever with players (all of them) they need positive options ahead so they can oass the ball out.  Was never a penalty, you could clearly see the gouge in the turf where they came together and it was a good yard outside the box.  The ref went to the linesman I think but he couldn't have had a clear view form his position.

Frustrating night.  I feel we dominated but we gave the ball away very cheaply for their second and Hoban had no chance.  It does seem bizarre that we would field a "weakened" side when we have a first team who are still getting to know each other but on the other had it was good to see some fresh faces.  What a difference when we created some width with Calder and Walsh coming on - but we really need to convert these chances.  McCart not for me I'm afraid.  His distribution at times is casual - in fact all of the players last night at one point or another delivered a hospital pass to a team mate who was facing his own goal and then we are up against it.  I take heart from the overall domination but as stated on here, goals win games, not possession.  Trafford seems to be getting some stick on here but I must confess I like his style and his work rate is good.  We just need supporting players though to be looking to create sapce and make positive runs?  In my opinion as a top footbal manager of course...  Will I be back against Alloa?  Of course I will.  Mon ICT!

Edited by Weekend Hacker

7 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Has John Robertson and ICT given up on post match interviews? I ďont think I have seen any this season. Does anyone know?

I was wondering the same is it down to money? like not sending money on the recording of interview but as paying fans i think we deserve to hear the managers thoughts after a game . One thing for sure its going to be a long season its  very early on but fed up of it already?

Edited by Polo Chick
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CableGuy said:

Once again last night,itlike so many games over the last year we are a team that for long perinods of a game appear to give maximum effort for very little if anything of an end product..... In contrast once again, our opposition generally only have to apply minimal well timed effort but execute it with maximum effort and clinical awareness. I feel we got "lucky" with whites goal, it was a perfect pass in and white was perfectly placed to deflect it in, but in amongst a mass of defenders that will only pay off 1/10th of the time, the break that Dumfermline made looked to be at worst, a shot at target as soon as the break started. The amount of pace and space that the attackers were offered was what every team are looking for.... We occasionally get it but we never use it to our advantage and any sprint at goal fizzles out and we allow the back line to reform. Its the same old story time and time again, goals win games not chances 

I agree with you, when we get control of the ball we seem to wait till the other team are all behind the ball and back In their shape and then try to play through them, It just doesnt work, while our opponents always seem to counter quickly with pace with our defence stretched.

• Agree 1

A poor first half overall the team really struggle to transition from midfield into attack without having any players to really drive with the ball and beat a player. I don't think this has ever really been replaced since we lost Shinnie and Watkins. 

Walsh and Oakley changed it for us in the second half with Walsh offering more width we found far more space and actually got balls into the box for our center pairing. I thought White should have done better with some of his headers and needs to show more desire to get on the end of the crosses. 

In my opinion the 2 strikers starting each game is causing too many problems for us. We need to restore real width to the side, Calder on the left and Walsh on the right with Welsh + Chalmers or Trafford and Polworth in front of the two but he must be CENTRAL not wide in the park. Take your pick on strikers we don't have a 20 a season man and each of the 3 senior ones will all score 1 in every 3 games roughly throughout the season. It's the quality from midfield that will make or break our season. 

Had hoped to see Aaron Doran perform well last night but that's another game where I've struggled to remember any telling contribution. Really doesn't look the player he once was and i worry the club have made a big mistake backing him over these years. 

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Sean93 said:

A poor first half overall the team really struggle to transition from midfield into attack without having any players to really drive with the ball and beat a player. I don't think this has ever really been replaced since we lost Shinnie and Watkins. 

Walsh and Oakley changed it for us in the second half with Walsh offering more width we found far more space and actually got balls into the box for our center pairing. I thought White should have done better with some of his headers and needs to show more desire to get on the end of the crosses. 

In my opinion the 2 strikers starting each game is causing too many problems for us. We need to restore real width to the side, Calder on the left and Walsh on the right with Welsh + Chalmers or Trafford and Polworth in front of the two but he must be CENTRAL not wide in the park. Take your pick on strikers we don't have a 20 a season man and each of the 3 senior ones will all score 1 in every 3 games roughly throughout the season. It's the quality from midfield that will make or break our season. 

Had hoped to see Aaron Doran perform well last night but that's another game where I've struggled to remember any telling contribution. Really doesn't look the player he once was and i worry the club have made a big mistake backing him over these years. 

Quite agree about Doran we are not seeing the Doran of old it looks like he is scared to take players on he seems to nearly always go backwards with the ball and teams are going to pick up on that