Inverness CT -V- Dunfermline

Scotty

1 minute ago, Glover said:

JR with Adam Sturrock @Adam5turrock on ICTFC website.  It's pretty harsh.  A bit nonplussed - It can't be a sloppy goal if its a mistaken penalty award?  Regardless,  If the problem is as the interview said,  poor attitude, a lack of motivation, effort and complacency that is indeed worrying.  The last comment that the 7 players may not play again for a long time is also worrying - that's the entire sub bench and there's no-one else.  

Second goal is poor, it was too easy to get that ball across the goal - in hindsight, yes, perhaps Calder could have been more cynical to stop the momentum of Smith, but the ball in was too easy and such a ball is really hard to defend when tracking back to a dangerous ball.  

I'd be surprised if we don't see two or more of these seven either as starting or coming on as a sub when we play Alloa in two weeks. Daniel MacKay, Jordan White and Sean Welsh I would think will still be considered options.

19 minutes ago, Glover said:

JR with Adam Sturrock @Adam5turrock on ICTFC website.  It's pretty harsh.  A bit nonplussed - It can't be a sloppy goal if its a mistaken penalty award?  Regardless,  If the problem is as the interview said,  poor attitude, a lack of motivation, effort and complacency that is indeed worrying.  The last comment that the 7 players may not play again for a long time is also worrying - that's the entire sub bench and there's no-one else.  

Second goal is poor, it was too easy to get that ball across the goal - in hindsight, yes, perhaps Calder could have been more cynical to stop the momentum of Smith, but the ball in was too easy and such a ball is really hard to defend when tracking back to a dangerous ball.  

I've been full of admiration for what JR has achieved since he came back as manager but I think that is a simply appalling interview.  For a start, how dare he  criticise these young lads for disrespecting the opposition and the fans  and being responsible for going out of the cup that, in his words, "we worked so hard last year to win".  If he thinks making every effort to win this game was important, then he should have put out his strongest team.  If he thinks the team that started on Saturday was his strongest team than how disrespectful is it to make no less than 7 changes.

But to add insult to injury, his criticism of the 7 is mostly unjustified and to restrict his comments to the  7 is  plain wrong.  What about the 4 who also started against Ayr?  Of those, only Rooney had a reasonable game.  The Par's first goal came from a Trafford error and McKay's foul.  The 2nd stemmed from Polworth losing the ball in midfield.  Yes we were lethargic in the first half, but no more so than for most of the game against Ayr.  Responsibility for that lethargy must lie primarily with the more experienced players who failed to show the necessary leadership on the park.  And if some of these young lads were so poor, why then only take one of them off and only make 2 substitutions?

He says that White and Welsh were fine and McCart did OK but that there was "... nothing. Nothing" from the others.  I guess he was too far away to see just how well Calder did out on the left in the 2nd half.  He makes reference to the number of crosses coming in and that some were good, but just who does he think was getting the ball across?  The ball boys?  To quote from the official match report " Spotting a weakness on the flanks, both Rooney and Calder continued to hit tantalising crosses into the box". And how can John Robertson say White and Welsh were fine and then go on to say it may be a long time before any of the 7 play again?  It just doesn't make sense.  Unfair criticism of his players in this way is a sure fire way of losing the dressing room.

There is only one person responsible for yesterday's defeat and that is John Robertson himself  It is John Robertson who should be taking a long hard look at the video of the game before making a few apologies to some of the lads.  As I say, I have been a great admirer for what John has achieved here.  His comments have often been uncomfortable but honest and fair.  That is why I am just so disappointed to hear him making such unjustified criticism of his young players in order to deflect the blame from where it so clearly lies - with himself.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

6 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

I've been full of admiration for what JR has achieved sinnce he came bitck as manager but I think that is a simply appalling interview.  For a start, how dare he  criticise these young lads for disrespecting the opposition and the fans  and being responsible for going out of the cup that, in his words, "we worked so hard last year to win".  If he thinks making every effort to win this game was important, then he should have put out his strongest team.  If he thinks the team that started on Saturday was his strongest team than how disrespectful is it to make no less than 7 changes.

But to add insult to injury, his criticism of the 7 is mostly unjustified and to restrict his comments to the  7 is  plain wrong.  What about the 4 who also started against Ayr?  Of those, only Rooney had a reasonable game.  The Par's first goal came from a Trafford error and McKay's foul.  The 2nd stemmed from Polworth losing the ball in midfield.  Yes we were lethargic in the first half, but no more so than for most of the game against Ayr.  Responsibility for that lethargy must lie primarily with the more experienced players who failed to show the necessary leadership on the park.  And if some of these young lads were so poor, why then only take one of them off and only make 2 substitutions?

He says that White and Welsh were fine and McCart did OK but that there was "... nothing. Nothing" from the others.  I guess he was too far away to see just how well Calder did out on the left in the 2nd half.  He makes reference to the number of crosses coming in and that some were good, but just who does he think was getting the ball across?  The ball boys?  To quote from the official match report " Spotting a weakness on the flanks, both Rooney and Calder continued to hit tantalising crosses into the box". And how can John Robertson say White and Welsh were fine and then go on to say it may be a long time before any of the 7 play again?  It just doesn't make sense.  Unfair criticism of his players in this way is a sure fire way of losing the dressing room.

There is only one person responsible for yesterday's defeat and that is John Robertson himself  It is John Robertson who should be taking a long hard look at the video of the game before making a few apologies to some of the lads.  As I say, I have been a great admirer for what John has achieved here.  His comments have often been uncomfortable but honest and fair.  That is why I am just so disappointed to hear him making such unjustified criticism of his young players in order to deflect the blame from where it so clearly lies - with himself.

Absolutely spot on. This defeat was of Robertsons making, wrong team and wrong tactics. He should have been man enough to admit that he got It wrong and not treated the only cup we had a realistic chance of winning this season, In such a blaźe way.

• Agree 2

I have listened to the interview again and the manager was not happy at all with the attitude of team.

I think the three he mentioned of the seven Welsh,White and McCart will certainly feature soon, young Daniel got his start but I think its correct to keep him as an impact player for time being and not put too much presure on him.

Reading berween the lines of interview dont think manager was happy with any of the team in the first half at all including the 4 who are regulars.

Looks like Welsh , White and possibly McCart are the only ones to have put forward a case for getting a place in starting 11.

Lots of people criticising manager for the team selection but that starting eleven in reality should have had enough to beat a young Dunfermline team , just a shame it didnt work out on the night.

Edited by Gregor
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Definitely Steven McLean in the middle. Actually met him 2 weeks ago at a meeting but never got round to thanking him ?

'Griffiths said afterwards that referee McLean had told him assistant Alan Muir, stationed behind the goal line just yards away from the incident, had said he saw the ball hitting Meekings' face, an explanation that Collins would accept.'

10 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

That is why I am just so disappointed to hear him making such unjustified criticism of his young players in order to deflect the blame from where it so clearly lies - with himself.

Agreed, however he has now demonstrated how thin the squad is.

In other circumstances, this would be followed by a demand for more money, to strengthen the squad. We all know that that's unrealistic.  So I'm half expecting to hear "I've done all I can here. There's nothing more I can do.".

1 minute ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Agreed, however he has now demonstrated how thin the squad is.

In other circumstances, this would be followed by a demand for more money, to strengthen the squad. We all know that that's unrealistic.  So I'm half expecting to hear "I've done all I can here. There's nothing more I can do.".

I agree too that, in the circumstances, John Robertson picked the wrong team for the match and that any criticism of the young players involved should have been done constructively and in private. In public, the manager should have had shoulders broad enough to accept the bulk of the blame himself.

However, JR has probably dine more right than wrong in his second spell and I can't think of anybody who is likely to do much better with what we have to work with.

Although he has something of a record of walking in such circumstances, I hope and believe that he will stay and try to complete the task of getting us up as difficult as that might be.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

I've been full of admiration for what JR has achieved since he came back as manager but I think that is a simply appalling interview.  For a start, how dare he  criticise these young lads for disrespecting the opposition and the fans  and being responsible for going out of the cup that, in his words, "we worked so hard last year to win".  If he thinks making every effort to win this game was important, then he should have put out his strongest team.  If he thinks the team that started on Saturday was his strongest team than how disrespectful is it to make no less than 7 changes.

Agree almost wholly other than the allegation Trafford was to blame for the first goal.  McCart played him in with what used to be called a hospital pass.  He was facing his own goal with two Dunfermline players within maybe three yards?  I get that we want to play football but there are some scenarios where you need to clear your lines and that for me was one.  McCart made me nervous in his first spell with us and has done little to allay any of my fears.  He looks assure don th eball until he is pressurised then his distribution is at best average.  However, to criticise Calder is bizarre as he was stand out for me - the width he and Walsh created was what led to our attacking spell, albeit with no striker to ban the ball in.  Could we not bring back Billy Urq??!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Agree with you regarding width with Calder and Walsh but you are being a tad harsh on the strikers to say the least.

There was no sitters missed, some oppotunities obviously but the finish for goal was an excellent one from White,have a look at it again on video, from a decent cross but by no means an easy chance.

We should be getting balls into box on a regular basis and goals will  come but if we dont lose a goal we dont lose and we cant afford to gift goals like we did on Tuesday.

Robbo's criticism of Calder stems from his lack of effort/conviction at the second goal. He was probably knackered after running up and down the left flank in the second half.

• Agree 2

This was the first time I'd seen Ricky Calder. He seemed a very good attacking full back but some of you would have seen more of him last season. How good is he at defending and how does he compare to Carl Tremarco as a full back?

27 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

Robbo's criticism of Calder stems from his lack of effort/conviction at the second goal. He was probably knackered after running up and down the left flank in the second half.

Considering what looked like a break down in communication between Hoban and McCart (who was fine) I find this strange though maybe there is more to it than what happened during the 90 minutes such as certain players who have had arguments with Robbo behind the scenes over selection and why they are not getting a start. I believe Robbo is using this to show them 'look' I'm the boss, you need to prove to me that you are good enough to start. It might explain the comments during the post match interview.

The more I think about it the more embarrassing this result was as this was almost a Dunfermline U21's side and regardless of all the reasons and excuses this result was unacceptable.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Snafu said:

This was the first time I'd seen Ricky Calder. He seemed a very good attacking full back but some of you would have seen more of him last season. How good is he at defending and how does he compare to Carl Tremarco as a full back?

Good question.  I think Tremarco is certainly a better defender, but then I don't think full back will be Calder's best position.  Calder seems to me to be one of the best, if not the best crosser of a ball we have.  I would like to see him play in left midfield.  This would allow Tremarco and Calder to vary things on the left side with Tremarco overlapping wide from time to time and Calder dropping back to cover if need be.   

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Good question.  I think Tremarco is certainly a better defender, but then I don't think full back will be Calder's best position.  Calder seems to me to be one of the best, if not the best crosser of a ball we have.  I would like to see him play in left midfield.  This would allow Tremarco and Calder to vary things on the left side with Tremarco overlapping wide from time to time and Calder dropping back to cover if need be.   

That would only be the case if Robbo dispenses with this 4-4-2 formation he seems so fond of. Which midfielder would he drop to make way?

14 minutes ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

Unless it was seeded we would have been drawn with English side Boreham Wood away from home if we managed to defeat Dunfermline. Sadly that’s one great away tie gone for the Away fans this year. 

Gutted!!! Makes tuesday night even worse now 

Been away since early Wednesday so not caught up with the highlights or interview yet.

For me, I could clearly see the foul for the penalty was outside the box, but we gave the ball away cheaply for both goals.

After Walsh and Oakley came on, we had a very good spell, moving the ball quickly, using the width, making crosses. If we can build on that, things can improve.

Calder and Walsh were our stand outs. 

Polworth and Welsh as our central midfielders would work for me, with Walsh and Calder giving width. Then either two up top, or one with Doran in the hole. I'd stick with two but task Oakley with tracking back.

I agree we are not seeing the best of Doran yet. It may be a confidence thing which game time will help.

Dunfermline were wasting time and playing for penalties and did very little in the last 30 until we gifted them the late chance that did for us.

Very disappointing, and we really should have won. That's two in a row we've failed to put away when on top. We must cure that quickly to stay in the hunt in the league.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

There is a misinterpretation here of words said in the interview. Nowhere  in the interview has JR said it may be a long time before any of the seven will play again.He was including the Team in general and inferred that if, for those who played but did not perform, it could be a long time before selection would come their way again. Good management  imho the Team needed that sort of shake up and in future they might heed his words and go out there and play to earn their places in every match.

I agree with the rest of the post especially re. Calder who I thought ran his socks of in the second half and put some great crosses in that should have been put away.  

I also wondered when the management Team were going to take up their places in the coaching area to get response out of the players, I saw the back of three heads in front of the dugout from where I was sitting but it could have been the Three Wise Monkeys  for all that was coming from them.

Let's hope the new season teething troubles are now over and we can start our winning ways again.

• Agree 1

On 8/14/2018 at 9:56 PM, forresjags said:

Regardless of what cup it is , a cup run is still a cup run and out of 2 before the end of August.

Poor call by  Management team tonight .

On 8/14/2018 at 11:08 PM, old caley girl said:

Hard not to argue with this. Very poor call imho 

I find  it very difficult to comprehend  why some supporters think this was a poor call by the management team. Robbo made 7 changes from a team that failed to win against a newly promoted team with 10 men so it is not as if we are flying and have a settled 11.  However I feel the changes were more experimental in nature rather than refelective of Saturdays performance. If we had played  the same team that started on Saturday, would that have  made a difference - probably not? We  were ultimately beaten by a penalty that never was and not being  clinical enough  in front of goal. Im also dismayed at Robbos' misdirected criticisms - the 7 were not the ones that orchestrated this defeat. The first goal , Charlie Trafford lost the ball and McKay conceded the foul for the penalty - both these players played on Saturday. The second goal - Polly lost the ball , Mckay lost his man when ball was played over the top, again both these players started on Saturday. Okay for the second McCart should have hoofed the ball as it was played back across the edge of the 6 yard box as it was only about a foot away from him - maybe he thought he had a defender behind him. In no way was this a breakdown in communication between him and the goalie just a lapse in concentration I think. Its good that some young ones got game time and gained valuable experience and they in no way disgraced themselves. Anyway on a different day we could have had scored 4 or 5. Its early days and far to early to call  how our season will go so boys keep the heads up Im sure it will all click in to place. 

• Agree 3

17 hours ago, Caledonianfc1885 said:

I find  it very difficult to comprehend  why some supporters think this was a poor call by the management team. Robbo made 7 changes from a team that failed to win against a newly promoted team with 10 men so it is not as if we are flying and have a settled 11.  However I feel the changes were more experimental in nature rather than refelective of Saturdays performance. If we had played  the same team that started on Saturday, would that have  made a difference - probably not? We  were ultimately beaten by a penalty that never was and not being  clinical enough  in front of goal. Im also dismayed at Robbos' misdirected criticisms - the 7 were not the ones that orchestrated this defeat. The first goal , Charlie Trafford lost the ball and McKay conceded the foul for the penalty - both these players played on Saturday. The second goal - Polly lost the ball , Mckay lost his man when ball was played over the top, again both these players started on Saturday. Okay for the second McCart should have hoofed the ball as it was played back across the edge of the 6 yard box as it was only about a foot away from him - maybe he thought he had a defender behind him. In no way was this a breakdown in communication between him and the goalie just a lapse in concentration I think. Its good that some young ones got game time and gained valuable experience and they in no way disgraced themselves. Anyway on a different day we could have had scored 4 or 5. Its early days and far to early to call  how our season will go so boys keep the heads up Im sure it will all click in to place. 

I think it is more bemusing than anything?  We were defending champions - whether some consider it a cup worth defending or not - and so to send out untried players was always a gamble.  I can't make my mind up tbh as I think it is essential that we try new players/ formations as evidenced by the change of tactics/ shape in the second half.  Personally think we should have been looking to dominate this one as we will come up against DAFC in the league so good to have an edge.  For me, I think last season we would have lost this time against Ayr and DAFC so I am taking the second half as a showing of what the players can achieve.  I was disappointed, yes, but the performance in the second half made me happier.  If they perform at that level and get beat then fair enough but the first half and vs Ayr is what I can't/ won't accept.

I fully support Robbo in making the changes for this match as these players needed game time. The biggest mistake this club made was not entering the reserve league. All these guys plus the newly signed u18s would get good game time and the youngsters would develop against men and not boys.

I'm assuming it was Robbo's decision not to enter the Reserve League (his decision to make and he wouldn't accept being anyone else's decision, and rightly so).  On that basis, the need to blood youngsters in these games would be a situation of his own making....so the buck stops there.