Cleaning up???

buckett

Just wondering if these forums are being tidied up now and again, and threads deemed superfluous deleted.

I coulda sworn there was a thread here the other day suggesting which of our players should take a penalty kick, should it be awarded.

Now it's no there anymore.

Just . . . . . . . . gone!

And then I remember contributing to a thread a few weeks back  (Ok - so I'm not such a prolific poster anymore!), and that's gone too!

Not complaining - just curious really!

Even if the thread had been closed it should still be showing on this part of the forum unless it's been deleted. I don't remember seeing anything worthy of deletion but I hadn't read it in a while.

I think that the thread author can also close / delete threads as well BTW.

3 hours ago, buckett said:

Just wondering if these forums are being tidied up now and again, and threads deemed superfluous deleted.

I coulda sworn there was a thread here the other day suggesting which of our players should take a penalty kick, should it be awarded.

Now it's no there anymore.

Just . . . . . . . . gone!

And then I remember contributing to a thread a few weeks back  (Ok - so I'm not such a prolific poster anymore!), and that's gone too!

Not complaining - just curious really!

Threads can be deleted by the original poster as well as the moderators. Moderators tend to 'hide' rather than delete threads though. In this case (and the same applies for 95% of recently deleted topics) the original poster deleted it so please direct any ire or questions to the poster. In the words of the next ex-president of the USA ... 'it wasn't me' !!

2018-08-22_9-41-59.jpg

2 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

I always find it strange when the mods close down threads without any real reason. Giving an excuse of it has ran its course. Let it stay open and if people still want to discuss then let them. 

We close threads for one of two reasons - it has become abusive or it has gone too far off topic.

For my own part I find it strange that moderators or admin are always accused of deleting or closing threads for no good reason or banning people left right and centre. We do not and I have the site logs - which I just looked at - to back me up on that statement. The vast majority of moderation applied in the last 6 months (thats as far back as I could be bothered looking) was in the category of 'self moderation' where OPs or users deleted their own topics or comments within topics.  We actually give people way more latitude than we are given credit for and most forums will lock down many of the permissions we leave in place as standard.   

I thought it was odd that the OP had deleted the thread on who should be our penalty taker as it was an inteŕesting and topical thread which, last time I looked, had stayed more or less on topic. However, as it was their thread it was their right to remove it.

Thanks Scotty and Kingsmills (and RiG) - clarified nicely.

As I said, I wasn't complaining, just curious, so there was no ire directed at anyone.

Might just delete this one now. BECAUSE I CAN!!!

• Funny 3

To be honest I didn't realise that a thread OP could delete an entire thread. I think maybe many others didn't realise that either hence why mods get the finger pointed at them.

I actually think it's a bit unfair that they can, if people have put in the thought and time to respond and discuss a topic possibly multiple times it seems a bit harsh to have it deleted because the OP feels like it. They hay have started a discussion but that doesn't mean the own it. Obviously if there's abuse etc that's one thing but members can already flag posts and I think mods here are pretty good at shutting that kind of thing down. 

Perhaps it could be looked at that after a certain number of replies a thread can't be deleted by the OP without a mod authorisation? Just a thought. 

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Fraz said:

To be honest I didn't realise that a thread OP could delete an entire thread. I think maybe many others didn't realise that either hence why mods get the finger pointed at them.

I actually think it's a bit unfair that they can, if people have put in the thought and time to respond and discuss a topic possibly multiple times it seems a bit harsh to have it deleted because the OP feels like it. They hay have started a discussion but that doesn't mean the own it. Obviously if there's abuse etc that's one thing but members can already flag posts and I think mods here are pretty good at shutting that kind of thing down. 

Perhaps it could be looked at that after a certain number of replies a thread can't be deleted by the OP without a mod authorisation? Just a thought. 

I actually agree with this .... As we cannot set it to disallow deletion after a period of time (which would be the best option), what I have done is removed the ability to delete but left the ability to hide in place .. that way, a poster can hide their own topic for whatever reason, and it can be reinstated later if warranted. This is more in line with how the moderators deal with reported topics and content. 

• Agree 1

With a ":T": on the end of it...

Just to make sure all changes are "to a T" and that the poster's sense of humour is specifically to Tickle your Tonsils, Tightens your braces and Tends to be a Talking point.

Ta BuckeTTs.           You are back my good friend...….Sorely missed and glad to see you  are still in fine fettle after your hibernation and up for Tackling  anything.

Onyhoo. Ta Ta for now 

ScarleT        :tongue:

• Funny 1