What a load of rubbish.

BallisticSheriff

Just read in the Courier that they are putting a Dump next to Caley Stadium, I believe it will be somewhere between the South Stand and the Roundabout and will operate until late 2021.

Gutted that it'll be so close and I hope the club objected strongly or are atleast getting some kind of sweety from the Council for having it nearby.

Disappointing.

Looks like the Courier, like a lot of papers, don't understand the planning process. 

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/News/Longman-confirmed-as-new-Highland-waste-site-21082018.htm

There's been no approval given for this plant whatsoever. Also, it won't be "yards from the stadium". It's on the other side of the road (see attached location plan) and will almost certainly be screened from view.

18_02972_SCRE-LOCATION_PLAN-1537516.pdf

Its not a dump as in landfill.  It is to replace the existing waste transfer station on Henderson Drive which is not large enough.  It will be a very large building though but should not affect the stadium.

You do have  a recycling programme though don't you?

We have different colour boxes for ( e.g). plastic, paper and cardboard,  tins and light metal, . They are all put out for pick-up the next day along with a separate bag and box for organics. Our city must be one of the only ones in Canada that does not provide  this service at least for the general refuse removal. So we have to pay for  "private" rubbish disposal separately AND pay very hefty taxes for the overspending mayor and Councillors by way of property taxes.

Thanks for sharing that RiG. After I read the story I pictured it bein closer to the stadium and then the folks sitting in the North stand would be looking out at a big industrial plant behind the South Stand. Somthing similar to what  East Fife used to have.

Edited by LairdMattie
Off backshift and poorly schooled. Second try

11 hours ago, IBM said:

Thanks RiG you have provided much better information.

7 hours ago, LairdMattie said:

Thanks for sharing that RiG. After I read the story I pictured it bein closer to the stadium and then the folks sitting in the North stand would be looking out at a big industrial plant behind the South Stand. Somthing similar to what  East Fife used to have.

Unfortunately it's just a classic case of journalists not having a clue how the planning process works. An application for planning permission hasn't even been lodged yet the Courier claim approval has been given. It's obviously on the cards though so it will be interesting to see what comes forward now especially given that the Council wanted to develop the old landfill site as mixed use IIRC. Can't imagine too many businesses / offices wanting to site themselves next to a waste processing plant.

Sorry RIG but you are wrong. As you are aware I have been trying to highlight the Aquifer issue for many years. Fortunately my concerns have been investigated fully by SEPA (Scottish Environment Protection Agency). They have reported back formally to Inverness County Council. The report and its recommendations were presented to the local Environment Committee, highlighting that  "A facility is needed because of new legislation banning the historic practice of landfill" and recommending that "the facility is legally required to be fully operational by August 2021". I understand that some councilor called MacWilliam has been given the lead in further communications with SEPA. I can even share some of the concerns raised in the SEPA report - "During periods of prolonged high rainfall, groundwater (which naturally flows towards lowlying areas) can rise to the surface and flood lowlying land and sub-surface structures. Groundwater flooding is rarer than river or coastal flooding and usually occurs in chalk areas. In regard to the Longman site there is a combination of coastal and groundwater flooding, probably due to the landfill practice utilized. Most modern landfills are highly regulated and operated to high standards, posing little risk of pollution to groundwater. Older and closed landfills, such as the Longman site, might cause localised contamination issues. The EU Water Framework Directive is a new piece of legislation. Its aim is for all waterbodies (river, lakes, estuaries, coastal waters and groundwater) to achieve ‘good status’ by 2021. SEPA recommends the use of Groundwater engineering, another name for hydrogeology, which is a branch of engineering  concerned with groundwater movement and design of wells, pumps, and drains. Wells, pumps and drains require to be constructed on the Longman site as a matter of some urgency".

Isn't our stadium actually built on a tip that was closed a few years before ICT existed, then they moved it further into the Longman?

If it gets to the stage where the dump actually does affect the stadium, the question arises of where do we move the stadium to? Highly anticipate that if "Move the stadium to Bught Park" comes up, it'll be rejected by many. But where is there that's easily accessible to all fans? Slightly further down the A9? But if I'm correct, the opposite side of the A9 to where the Car Dealers are is protected land where nobody's allowed to build on. Somewhere up by Drakies/Inshes/Drumossie would seem logical, as it is right next to the A9, befitting Away fans, but it is also a hefty trek to get up there from the Bus/Train station for those who live in central Inverness or come into town via bus or train. There is nowhere it can go besides the A9 area, because of the inadequate road links, alongside the Bypass could be possible, but that road isn't directly linked to the A9 which means there'd be massive backlogs of traffic actually getting to the area.

I know it is highly unlikely that we'd be forced to move because of a tip, but hell, you've got to think ahead when the possibilities come up.

EDIT: After having a look at RIG's post and attached link, that's the exact are I was meaning "protected land", as I thought it was for seabirds or something like that, and looks like even if it does get built, I don't see why it would affect the stadium, besides the traffic on matchdays potentially going up.

Edited by Jack Waddington

It's been at least 6 months since this last came up, but for the four hundred millionth time....a part of the stadium is built on land reclaimed with rocks, sand and soil.  No rubbish was ever tipped into that area.  The image below shows how it was before any reclamation was undertaken.

image.png

29 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

It's been at least 6 months since this last came up, but for the four hundred millionth time....a part of the stadium is built on land reclaimed with rocks, sand and soil.  No rubbish was ever tipped into that area.  The image below shows how it was before any reclamation was undertaken.

image.png

Ok, cheers. Don't know where I got the information from that the area nearby/around the stadium was formerly a tip. Thanks for that! Never knew that info

1 minute ago, Jack Waddington said:

Ok, cheers. Don't know where I got the information from that the area nearby/around the stadium was formerly a tip. Thanks for that! Never knew that info

My money would be on County fans on Twitter ?

1 hour ago, Jack Waddington said:

EDIT: After having a look at RIG's post and attached link, that's the exact are I was meaning "protected land", as I thought it was for seabirds or something like that, and looks like even if it does get built, I don't see why it would affect the stadium, besides the traffic on matchdays potentially going up.

The Inner Moray Firth Special Protection Area (SPA) lies about 2 - 3 km to the east of the proposed waste facility. That might be what you are thinking about? It's designated for a range of seabirds, waders and raptors.

I doubt there will be any significant issues arising from traffic even if it does get the go ahead.

4 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Isn't our stadium actually built on a tip that was closed a few years before ICT existed, then they moved it further into the Longman?

If it gets to the stage where the dump actually does affect the stadium, the question arises of where do we move the stadium to? Highly anticipate that if "Move the stadium to Bught Park" comes up, it'll be rejected by many. But where is there that's easily accessible to all fans? Slightly further down the A9? But if I'm correct, the opposite side of the A9 to where the Car Dealers are is protected land where nobody's allowed to build on. Somewhere up by Drakies/Inshes/Drumossie would seem logical, as it is right next to the A9, befitting Away fans, but it is also a hefty trek to get up there from the Bus/Train station for those who live in central Inverness or come into town via bus or train. There is nowhere it can go besides the A9 area, because of the inadequate road links, alongside the Bypass could be possible, but that road isn't directly linked to the A9 which means there'd be massive backlogs of traffic actually getting to the area.

I know it is highly unlikely that we'd be forced to move because of a tip, but hell, you've got to think ahead when the possibilities come up.

A new stadium would be good, although would probably never happen. I suppose having a stadium out of the way isnt as bad as I keep thinking as Falkirks stadium is sort of out of the way and Aberdeens new stadium is going to be nearer to Kingswells village than Aberdeen really. 

Edited by LairdMattie
Deleted mentioning a fourth stand.

8 hours ago, LairdMattie said:

A new stadium would be good, although would probably never happen. I suppose having a stadium out of the way isnt as bad as I keep thinking as Falkirks stadium is sort of out of the way and Aberdeens new stadium is going to be nearer to Kingswells village than Aberdeen really. 

Apologies for my ignorance- I haven’t been paying attention as I’m more interested in old stadiums than new ones ? , also never been all that familiar with Aberdeen, but I had been assuming they were going to Loirston Loch all this time ?

I did go to Cove’s new place the other week and it’s just such a godforsaken area (but the balmoral pies are good). Like us it was built next door to a travellers site, though good luck to anybody trying to get to the stadium from there, as you have to go north round Ikea, then round the Post Office depot and a dozen other businesses. Imagine Caley Stadium being right in the middle of the Longman and you’ve just about got it.

Just on Falkirk, they do have an actual huge landfill just south of Grangemouth and it stinks for about half a mile if you’re coming north on the M9. Bad news for the ICT Lothian & Borders contingent.

Edited by TheMantis

8 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Apologies for my ignorance- I haven’t been paying attention as I’m more interested in old stadiums than new ones ? , also never been all that familiar with Aberdeen, but I had been assuming they were going to Loirston Loch all this time ?

I did go to Cove’s new place the other week and it’s just such a godforsaken area (but the balmoral pies are good). Like us it was built next door to a travellers site, though good luck to anybody trying to get to the stadium from there, as you have to go north round Ikea, then round the Post Office depot and a dozen other businesses. Imagine Caley Stadium being right in the middle of the Longman and you’ve just about got it.

Just on Falkirk, they do have an actual huge landfill just south of Grangemouth and it stinks for about half a mile if you’re coming north on the M9. Bad news for the ICT Lothian & Borders contingent.

Colleague and I drove by the site in the industrial park near Kingswells, near to the new AWPR and a park and ride, haud on,

Away from town...

Near a major road...

Next to an industrial park...

Sounds like Caley Stadium. trust Aberdeen to go copying us eh. ?

Here is the boring planning bit for any interested boffins (like me!):

The application was for a Screening Opinion from the Council (as Planning Authority) and environmental agencies such as SNH, SEPA and Marine Scotland. This was  required to determine if a full Environmental Impact Assessment is required to accompany a future planning application for the proposed development. The decision made on 17 July is that an EIA is not required but does not guarantee that there will not be environmental impacts or that the proposals will get planning permission. 

The land is currently zoned for potential waste management facilities and it is already licensed for this purpose. It is understood that the proposals are for further processing of waste already sorted that would normally sent straight to landfill (south of Perth near Glencarse I think).

On the potential future location of a new stadium, there is still a lot of land adjacent to the UHI Campus and the future prison site (?) which could be used. It is also next to the railway where a rail halt could be provided and will be almost directly connected to the new East Link Road (A9-A96 Inshes to Smithton), which will be a possible future bus route with a separate dedicated cycle lane.     

56 minutes ago, Row S said:

The application was for a Screening Opinion from the Council (as Planning Authority) and environmental agencies such as SNH, SEPA and Marine Scotland. This was  required to determine if a full Environmental Impact Assessment is required to accompany a future planning application for the proposed development. The decision made on 17 July is that an EIA is not required but does not guarantee that there will not be environmental impacts or that the proposals will get planning permission. 

The land is currently zoned for potential waste management facilities and it is already licensed for this purpose. It is understood that the proposals are for further processing of waste already sorted that would normally sent straight to landfill (south of Perth near Glencarse I think).

On the potential future location of a new stadium, there is still a lot of land adjacent to the UHI Campus and the future prison site (?) which could be used. It is also next to the railway where a rail halt could be provided and will be almost directly connected to the new East Link Road (A9-A96 Inshes to Smithton), which will be a possible future bus route with a separate dedicated cycle lane.     

Do you mean Glenfarg? Near to that is Binn Farm which is landfill and I still see the odd Highland waste lorry pass by when Im visiting my parents. 

Your location for a potential new stadium would be pretty good. It would probs never happen since the club fairly recently spent cash on getting rid of the shipping container and doing up a shop inside the main stand. What if we had thousands of signatures for a new home?

13 minutes ago, LairdMattie said:

Do you mean Glenfarg? Near to that is Binn Farm which is landfill and I still see the odd Highland waste lorry pass by when Im visiting my parents. 

Your location for a potential new stadium would be pretty good. It would probs never happen since the club fairly recently spent cash on getting rid of the shipping container and doing up a shop inside the main stand. What if we had thousands of signatures for a new home?

You would need more than thousands of signatures also required would be a few million pounds to go with them!

10 hours ago, Row S said:

That is what I was feckin referring to fer years :groovy:

14 hours ago, LairdMattie said:

Yes, you are right. I got my Perthshire lowland glens mixed up.

The potential stadium site by the Campus might prove more attractive for developers (including previous benefactors of ICTFC) to invest in given that the new road will open up potential for some 3000 houses and business land.  Potential to provide a training pitch and share the UHI/College facilities too.

IEDB Master Plan.pdf