Penalties

Bronson

6 minutes ago, Bronson said:

I am at a loss to understand why we had a centre half taking our penalty today. 

Surely any striker would be desperate to take them and could possibly add around ten goals to his goal tally for the season?? 

We have a team of spineless pussies. Simple as that. 

The strange thing is, just before we were awarded our second penalty,  I said to my son, who will take it now Welsh is off. Most strikers will wrestle the ball of others to get the ball and get their total up, but not ours. I have no idea why Welsh was subbed, he was playing well in the middle. 

2 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

The strange thing is, just before we were awarded our second penalty,  I said to my son, who will take it now Welsh is off. Most strikers will wrestle the ball of others to get the ball and get their total up, but not ours. I have no idea why Welsh was subbed, he was playing well in the middle. 

Is it not obvious? Welsh was subbed for playing well and having the cheek to actually score a penalty. Not the kind of flair and skill Robbo likes in his players!! 

Fair play to Coll for being man enough amongst a bunch of lassies to give it a go. Maybe the others can master penalties on their PS4. Fannies!!!

Joking aside, it is a sad indictment that there appeared nobody other than Donaldson willing to take it. Where was our Captain at this time?  

1st penalty, From the offset it was clear Welsh wanted to take it. No doubt about his mindset and desire to do his job.

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Don't blame Donaldson at least, unlike any of the forwards on the pitch at the time, he had the courage to take the responsibly.

Thats just not true mate

White went to get the ball and Donaldson would not give it to him,thought at the time it was a liberty that he didnt give the striker  the ball and then proceeded to miss the pen.

Need to get it sorted soon who the  pen takers are.

Edited by Gregor
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Bronson said:

I am at a loss to understand why we had a centre half taking our penalty today. 

Surely any striker would be desperate to take them and could possibly add around ten goals to his goal tally for the season?? 

Because he didnt give the ball to White who wanted to take it and him missing it cost us the game.

Coll was good at it, shame he hit the bar though, but if he had netted the rebound, I doubt it would've stood, as I'm pretty sure the penalty taker can't do that and it has to be another player. But either Oakley or Austin should be our penalty taker, or depending on how good Mr Brazilian Guy is, put him on. Looking at clips of him on YouTube (see 1:33 for penalties) the lad seems pretty decent on not only penalties, but around the goalmouth and the pitch as well, and I think he could possibly do well with taking penalties (and hopefully Aberdeen don't notice him and drag him to Pittodrie too soon). If he doesn't take them, anyone with confidence should, Coll I think was just a one off because nobody else was willing (from what I saw), and I doubt he'll be our primary penalty taker.

Surely the manager gives instructions as to who will take penalties and this will include a fall back position for when the allotted penalty taker has gone off. When a kick is awarded that player should immediately step up to take the responsibility.

There should never be a situation where nobody seems to want to take it or where players are arguing over the ball. Any issues with that and the captain on the park should step in and sort it out. 

• Agree 3

Donaldson took the ball and it looked like he had appointed himself as the taker. Not a bold act would rather a forward  to take penalties but I suppose it is a reflection on how poor we are attacking wise. That's the second game we have been unable to take 10 men apart. We are either not fit enough to stretch  team's or just don't have the technical ability. I fear a long season ahead. I have always liked Tremarcho but I feel he is not the man to be captain. Some in the middle of the park  would be better.

The decision as to who takes the penalties should be clearly decided BEFORE kick off. So it was clear that Welsh was the first choice. Well there should have also been a clearly designated 2nd and 3rd - and if anybody pisses that about then the captain should be in there sorting it out. As for captaincy Tremarco was the firm fans favourite before the start of the season and also the players choice. It doesn't matter where you play to be a captain. Most people would prefer a defender

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Surely the manager gives instructions as to who will take penalties and this will include a fall back position for when the allotted penalty taker has gone off. When a kick is awarded that player should immediately step up to take the responsibility.

There should never be a situation where nobody seems to want to take it or where players are arguing over the ball. Any issues with that and the captain on the park should step in and sort it out. 

agree that yesterday just highlighted what a shambles it is but your captain on the pitch should have a flipping clue who is penalty taker

I find it hard to believe that anyone who is a professional footballer can't learn to or want to take penalty. They all kick balls for a living for goodness sake and is it such a hard thing to do?!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

I find it hard to believe that anyone who is a professional footballer can't learn to or want to take penalty. They all kick balls for a living for goodness sake and is it such a hard thing to do?!

To me that just confirms a lack of confidence in the team through either not practising enough or the manager having no faith in you to take it usually strikers want to take them to get their goal tally up cant imagine many of our players will be in double figures come end of season

• Agree 1