Inverness CT -V- Partick

Scotty

Great stuff for 35 to 40 minutes - Robbo disappointed it was not more than 3-0 at half time. Then after Doran and Whyte were subbed we took our foot off the gas and Partick took advantage. 

The match officials were woeful. Always gave advantage to Partick defenders even when they were almost taking the shirts off the backs of Whyte and Oakley. The Storey penalty never was - not in the box or even a foul. Justice done with a great save from Ridgers.

Despite the jittery finish I'm glad of the 3 points and top slot in the table. What a contrast to this time last season. Looking forward to an away day by train next week.

Okay, first half was great, second half, not so much and the officials had a shocker  

HOWEVER why has no one mentioned the best thing about the second half??

The Partick keeper falling over the advertising boards! 

Really, you’ve got to take what you can from that second half and that was mine. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

Pretty much agree.  Woeful second half in contrast to a tremendous first 30 mins or so.  We need to close out more clinically and sitting on a lead for 45 mins is not the way forward. However encouraged versus this time last year.  Ridgers was outstanding again, he’s come a long way in my opinion.  But top of the league and a trip to Dingwall will do me just fine. ????

1 minute ago, Kind of Blue said:

In regard to the penalty, looking at the highlights was the "so called foul" in the box?

To me it was, at worst, on the line... But looks far more likely it was just outside. Terrible decision, luckily it didn't come back to haunt us 

• Agree 1

I have no qualms about the penalty. A needless 'tackle' on a player going wide. Considering our player is stood inside the box then penalty it is. Marginal decision, I thought it looked clearer in real time.

• Agree 1

No point doing any kind of massive post now that the highlights are up. Great to see them capturing Mckay dishing out some telt to Storey after his penalty miss though I did feel for him a wee bit with the abuse he was getting. It's not his fault Hughes is a moron who doesn't understand the transfer market and when he can or can't sign players. Agree with Manny, it's a penalty for a needless foul by Welsh.

Surprised at just how bad Partick were. They were absolutely howling and all the booing you can hear from the highlights is coming from the away fans (save for the penalty award on Welsh). Well taken goals from White and Rooney plus the slightly iffy penalty from Welsh had us home and dry and we inevitably took our foot off the gas in the second half. Nice finishes from Spittal and Doolan though they come from pretty poor defending from us so I can't imagine Robertson will be happy. Really weak header from McCart and just a complete inability to clear our lines for the Doolan strike. 

Good performances from the likes of Rooney (before he went off), Welsh, Doran, Polworth and White.  Hopefully whatever happened with Rooney and Polworth injury wise isn't too bad but it looks like Oakley will be a longer term absentee given the force with which he threw down his hair band. Not good going into the game next week as I think he could have been a great option for us up front.

A few folk said Ntambwe should have been sent off for a shirt pull. I don't see it myself. Just seems to be two players grappling with each other until Ntambwe stupidly slides in and wipes out Polworth. It is probably just enough of a genuine attempt to play the ball to allow him to stay on the pitch for a little bit longer anyway before he was subbed off.

28 minutes ago, RiG said:

A few folk said Ntambwe should have been sent off for a shirt pull. I don't see it myself. Just seems to be two players grappling with each other until Ntambwe stupidly slides in and wipes out Polworth. It is probably just enough of a genuine attempt to play the ball to allow him to stay on the pitch for a little bit longer anyway before he was subbed off.

He tripped Polworth and wasn’t looking to play the ball, should probably been red. Then again, it seems you can kick people with impunity based on some of the red cards that have either been overturned or not given, so who knows. Either way, I’ll take the three points. 

Far more positives than negatives from that performance. We were efficient and clinical in the first half taking our chances when they came and generally out playing Patrick. When they did get a chance from the penalty spot, it was well saved by Ridgers who seems a completely different player from the one that Robbo had no option but to drop a quarter of the way into last season  and who appeared transformed on his return weeks later. So fortuitous in so many ways that OFW picked up his injury when he did.

It was inevitable that Patrick were going to come back at us in the second half, they didn't suffer the same sort of cull that we did last year and are still packed with Premiership players.

Perhaps we could have defended less deep, perhaps we could have conceded less possession and remained a bit more positive but the fact is, while we always looked like conceding  a goal or two we never at any stage, were in danger of surrendering the lead and that against one of the better sides in the division.

A special word for the often unfairly maligned, Liam Polworth, worked tirelessly and was man of the match, in my view. I really hope he is fit for the drop to Dingwall next week.

Can't fail to mention the officials, they were utterly incompetent again. If it's this bad in the Championship just how bad is it further down the chain. I recall referees in the Highland League being a great deal better than this lot. We really need to look seriously at the way we train and assess our officials.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

A special word for the often unfairly maligned, Liam Polworth, worked tirelessly and was man of the match, in my view. I really hope he is fit for the drop to Dingwall next week.

Directly brought about the first two goals.  Hopefully he can be signed on a new contract before Jan.  

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

He tripped Polworth and wasn’t looking to play the ball, should probably been red. Then again, it seems you can kick people with impunity based on some of the red cards that have either been overturned or not given, so who knows. Either way, I’ll take the three points. 

I think it looks just enough of a genuine attempt to win the ball to save him from a red card. That said, the referee was so bad I wouldn't have been overly surprised if he had booked Polworth and given Partick a free kick.

Edited by RiG

I thought the assistant  referee  on the main stand side in the first half was diabolical , Firstly he gave a Partick guy offside when clean through, and he was onside as I was sitting directly in line

On two other occasions when blatant fouls occurred just in front of him, he gave the ref who was far away no help what's so ever, the Ref got the blame for not blowing , but  I felt he should have had  help from his assistant. - The assistant  , never gave a throw in until the player picked the ball up, or the Ref gave it  . The guy got his match fee for nothing.

I thought 3 players on our side stood out No1  No7 and  No3   Polwarth was my man of the match , he was very unlucky  not to have scored when his shot it the post and bounced around the goalmouth before it was eventually headed home.

But on the whole  we will play better and not win before the season ends that's for sure.

What a lovely result...I was in Lake Garda so following it on BBC Sport. Partick Thistle getting two back so late, took a little of the gloss off, but we were down to 10 men for the last, and a look at the table put the gloss back on. Watched the highlights and Ridgers pulled off a couple of good saves...ground always looks fab in the afternoon sunshine, and the shirts look F.A.B. I 'm up on a one dayer for the Q0S game in two weeks time...might just have me one of those.

Edited by Eagle4Caley
  • Like 1

good result .... icing on the cake for me was arriving at the TFC game later that day and seeing 3 guys in the seats next to mine (father and two twenty-something sons). They are not regulars in those seats and must have bought the tickets from the usual season ticket holders on the ticket exchange. Got talking to them and they usually go to a different section of the ground, one son was a Celtic fan, the other a Man U fan but the dad was a Partick fan !! Had to rub it in just a little bit  :lol:

• Funny 1

On 9/16/2018 at 10:48 AM, RiG said:

No point doing any kind of massive post now that the highlights are up. Great to see them capturing Mckay dishing out some telt to Storey after his penalty miss though I did feel for him a wee bit with the abuse he was getting. It's not his fault Hughes is a moron who doesn't understand the transfer market and when he can or can't sign players. Agree with Manny, it's a penalty for a needless foul by Welsh.

Surprised at just how bad Partick were. They were absolutely howling and all the booing you can hear from the highlights is coming from the away fans (save for the penalty award on Welsh). Well taken goals from White and Rooney plus the slightly iffy penalty from Welsh had us home and dry and we inevitably took our foot off the gas in the second half. Nice finishes from Spittal and Doolan though they come from pretty poor defending from us so I can't imagine Robertson will be happy. Really weak header from McCart and just a complete inability to clear our lines for the Doolan strike. 

Good performances from the likes of Rooney (before he went off), Welsh, Doran, Polworth and White.  Hopefully whatever happened with Rooney and Polworth injury wise isn't too bad but it looks like Oakley will be a longer term absentee given the force with which he threw down his hair band. Not good going into the game next week as I think he could have been a great option for us up front.

What have you got against our greatest ever manager RIG? you just can't let go.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, wynthank15 said:

What have you got against our greatest ever manager RIG? you just can't let go.

There's literally no point discussing anything about John Hughes with you as you've shown time and time again you cannot be objective about the guy. All the best.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, RiG said:

There's literally no point discussing anything about John Hughes with you as you've shown time and time again you cannot be objective about the guy. All the best.

Wynthank conflates greatest ever manager with most successful having been fortunate enough to inherit, by far, our greatest ever squad which, after our cup winning year, he did a great deal to undermine.

If John Hughes was a great manager he would have gone on to do great things instead of leading Raith Rovers to relegation among huge dressing room unrest and resentment.

Looks like no club chairman in the land currently recognises his greatness. It was once said of JH that he is not as stupid as many believe but equally not nearly as smart as he himself believes. Personally, I think that is spot on.

Having said that, I fully accept that I too find it very difficult to be objective about the man believing him to be very largely, although far from soley, responsible for where we find ourselves today.

• Agree 2
  • Facepalm 1

and here's me thinking this thread was about ICT v PARTICK THISTLE! Could someone please put the Hughes Haters to bed once and for all? Considering your contributions Kingsmills maybe you should kick your Mod position!

Edited by caleyboy

• Scotty unpinned, pinned, unfeatured and unpinned this topic