Inverness CT -V- Partick

Scotty

On 9/19/2018 at 9:25 AM, Kingsmills said:

Wynthank conflates greatest ever manager with most successful having been fortunate enough to inherit, by far, our greatest ever squad which, after our cup winning year, he did a great deal to undermine.

If John Hughes was a great manager he would have gone on to do great things instead of leading Raith Rovers to relegation among huge dressing room unrest and resentment.

Looks like no club chairman in the land currently recognises his greatness. It was once said of JH that he is not as stupid as many believe but equally not nearly as smart as he himself believes. Personally, I think that is spot on.

Having said that, I fully accept that I too find it very difficult to be objective about the man believing him to be very largely, although far from soley, responsible for where we find ourselves today.

Thank you for speaking on my behalf Kingsmills, RIG started this with his Hughes is a moron nonsense which is actually insulting and derogatory and I am not about to let it pass. If you want to split adjectives, Hughes was our most successful manager to date, that is a FACT no matter how much you may dislike it or try to argue against it. How do you define greatest exactly??? You can have a talented squad with a useless manager and achieve nothing. I hugely liked Patterson as a manager, he could spot a player, built two great mid-fields, played attractive football and never won the 1st division, he was a great manager but not our most successful..

11 hours ago, wynthank15 said:

PS I too apologise for being off topic couldn't help myself after reading RIG's comment.

What exactly was wrong with it then? With regards to Storey Hughes showed a stunning lack of knowledge as to when he could and couldn't sign a player and we ultimately missed out as Aberdeen stole in and signed him whilst we dallied because we didn't know if we could offer him a contract or not. He repeated the same mistake at Raith by not signing a goalkeeper when they didn't have one spare because again, he didn't know the rules.

As I've said before there was a lot of great stuff about his time at ICT and there is no doubt that Hughes brought us our most successful spell, I don't believe I've ever denied it, but there were a lot of problems that came with his tenure and these are problems that you never acknowledge when this topic crops up which makes it very hard to take anything you say seriously given your inability to be even remotely objective about the guy.

ETA: I've given myself a warning for going OT.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 2
  • Facepalm 1

• Scotty unpinned, pinned, unfeatured and unpinned this topic