Where are our subs at Robbo?

Jack Waddington

Tonights game. Not the best, but decent none the less. But the real question is, where were the substitutions? It was clear as glass that the team were tired and substitutions were desperately needed. Hell, we barely clung on to get a draw. A single substitute coming on won't cut it, not saying Daniel MacKay is a bad player, he's just not the best player that could've been brought on. If he had come on as a Double with Ricky, then we definitely could've scored. It was quite obvious that the atmosphere was relatively tense when they were pushing up and got several shots on target (all of which saved by the best keeper in the league, Mark Ridgers), and that we were slowing down. The wingers managed to keep pace, but their crosses were for nothing, as most of the time, there were no Strikers or Midfielders in the box to get a head to it. We definitely should've used all 3 subs if we wanted the win, and I know full well that 90% of the fanbase would put all the blame on Robbo if we had conceded a goal and failing to reply. Either way, we're still 2nd, and County are 4th, so onwards and upwards!  

• Agree 2

I wasn't at the game but on the match day thread I made the same observation.  It is slightly unorthodox to wait until the 88th minute to make the first sub -   wouldn't it have disrupted the understanding?  Robbo has tacit knowledge in these matters and will have weighed it all up pitchside - there's a lot to be said for a 'feel for the game' in philosophy and even more so in its literal application here.  This was a game we could draw and be the happier lot.  To be balanced, it could  be viewed as having not had faith in the subs - McCart and Calder, but I'm not sure subs would have resulted in a win, the draw was advantage ICT.

Robbo has done fantastically, a £1m off the budget and we are well on target - and all signings making a mark.  There is no reason why we can't win the league - but we need to stay injury-free and strengthen in January.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Glover said:

I wasn't at the game but on the match day thread I made the same observation.  It is slightly unorthodox to wait until the 88th minute to make the first sub -   wouldn't it have disrupted the understanding?  Robbo has tacit knowledge in these matters and will have weighed it all up pitchside - there's a lot to be said for a 'feel for the game' in philosophy and even more so in its literal application here.  This was a game we could draw and be the happier lot.  To be balanced, it could  be viewed as having not had faith in the subs - McCart and Calder, but I'm not sure subs would have resulted in a win, the draw was advantage ICT.

Robbo has done fantastically, a £1m off the budget and we are well on target - and all signings making a mark.  There is no reason why we can't win the league - but we need to stay injury-free and strengthen in January.  

4 hours ago, Gregor said:

Absolutely spot on , Robbo got it spot on imo ,a draw was a very good result and original poster needs to have a word with himself if he wasn’t happy with yesterday’s outcome.

I'm not saying a draw was bad, I'm just saying that we could've won it if he hadn't left it so late. And I'm not saying more subs = win, just stating that a few subs would've improved our seriously tiring team, you could see that quite clearly it was necessary for a substitution, as half the passes on the attack in the later portion of the game were going into County's possession as there was nobody to pick up on it, albeit we did have a few good chances, there weren't enough. I'm glad with securing a draw, it was a game that most if not all bookies put us down as the underdogs, it's a point, one point is better than none. 

1 hour ago, CaleyD said:

Some people seem to think substitutions always change a game for the better or lead to a better result....when sometimes, the brave/intelligent move is to not mess with it.

Agree. I suspect last weeks early subs then players getting injured had something to do with the decision making yesterday. Would have liked to see Calder on though. 

It seems  as if you are saying that he deliberately did not sub players because he felt comfortable with the situation and expected a  draw would be the outcome and reasonable from his point of view.

Well, he's the boss, so it may be a question of whether it was a 6 or half a dozen that  mattered?.:ponder:

?

I agree, subs should have been made. Jordan Whyte hardly won a ball up front and Jo Chalmers looked increasingly flagged. The fans all around us were pushing for a change. Daniel could have ripped up their no.15 who as my cousin put it ‘was running in waders’.  The tide was going County’s way and whilst we saw our a draw and I was delighted with the result, I feel a change would have benefitted the situation. 

Great to see the Jack Davis and Barry Wilson having some shots in the pre match warm up for fun!

Edited by Northern_jaggie

2 hours ago, Northern_jaggie said:

I agree, subs should have been made. Jordan Whyte hardly won a ball up front and Jo Chalmers looked increasingly flagged. The fans all around us were pushing for a change. Daniel could have ripped up their no.15 who as my cousin put it ‘was running in waders’.  The tide was going County’s way and whilst we saw our a draw and I was delighted with the result, I feel a change would have benefitted the situation. 

Great to see the Jack Davis and Barry Wilson having some shots in the pre match warm up for fun!

We drew the game and Robbo made one substitution which I felt was correct as a draw was an excellent result.

Think its so harsh to criticise the manager ,its not just you btw,or any members of the team for Saturdays performance.

You have higlighted 2 players that should have been replaced in Chalmers when imo he had played so well, and White(its White and not Whyte ?) who in the managers view was terrific once again, think I will trust the managers judgement on the substitutions as he is getting results with a settled team that is fighting for each other

On 9/22/2018 at 7:20 PM, Jack Waddington said:

Tonights game. Not the best, but decent none the less. But the real question is, where were the substitutions? It was clear as glass that the team were tired and substitutions were desperately needed. Hell, we barely clung on to get a draw. A single substitute coming on won't cut it, not saying Daniel MacKay is a bad player, he's just not the best player that could've been brought on. If he had come on as a Double with Ricky, then we definitely could've scored. It was quite obvious that the atmosphere was relatively tense when they were pushing up and got several shots on target (all of which saved by the best keeper in the league, Mark Ridgers), and that we were slowing down. The wingers managed to keep pace, but their crosses were for nothing, as most of the time, there were no Strikers or Midfielders in the box to get a head to it. We definitely should've used all 3 subs if we wanted the win, and I know full well that 90% of the fanbase would put all the blame on Robbo if we had conceded a goal and failing to reply. Either way, we're still 2nd, and County are 4th, so onwards and upwards!  

where are our subs at robbo? sorry but i dont understand the question ?