ICTFC : SUPPORTER LIAISON OFFICER

CaleyD

Following the statement released on the Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC website last week, the board of the ICT Supporters Trust felt it important to inform our members and the wider community on our thoughts, position and ongoing attempts to assist the club with understanding the importance of the Supporter Liaison Officer role.

The Supporters Trust Chairman, Don Johnstone and Secretary, Jen Aitchison had an initial meeting with the football club CEO, Yvonne Crook and Commercial Manager, Jim Oliver on the 21st August 2018 to go over a number of items; which included the topic of the SLO. It was intimated to us at the meeting that the club had every intention of appointing an SLO and, in addition to the views expressed by us at the time, the club would welcome our assistance in helping them define the role before moving towards making an appointment.

The new SLO Handbook, produced by Supporters Direct Scotland in conjunction with the Scottish FA (partners on the SLO initiative), was released at the SDS Summit on 8th September 2018; with those in attendance receiving the first available copies. The handbook clearly lays out what SDS and the SFA are looking for from clubs with regard to appointing an SLO and the function they should fulfil. An additional copy was obtained by the Supporters Trust and hand-delivered to ICTFC.

We received an email on September 17th 2018 from Andy Johnstone (ICTFC Supporter Liaison Co-Ordinator) detailing the process outlined in the web article, asking us for us to endorse a “Supporter Liaison Officer Function”. We responded saying that we were not in a position to endorse such a process and the club then, without reverting to us, published the statement with all direct reference to the Supporters Trust removed.

The process being implemented by the club is a little surprising.  It is not an option which had been discussed with us and it is also an approach that conflicts with the CEO’s recently published update stating that ICTFC is on track to move from Bronze to Silver Club Licensing status; a status which requires a club to have appointed a named SLO with defined objectives.

A further email to the CEO elicited a response offering us a meeting with the Supporter Liaison Co-Ordinator, Andy Johnstone, who we will sit down with at the end of this week to discuss our views on the inadequacies of the process which the club have implemented; and to urge them to reconsider their position and appoint a named SLO.  This, we believe, is a move that would best serve the fans and help the club meet its own target of Silver Club Licensing status.

The Supporters Direct Scotland SLO Handbook echoes our view that:
“As the name suggests, a Supporter Liaison Officer is someone who liaises - they are a mediator between the fans and the club, the national association, and the league. The SLO also serves as a link between other parties involved in football, such as the police and stewards. Ideally employed by the club in order to liaise with the fans, the SLO is an advocate of both sides, representing the interests of the club AND those of the supporters.”

Best Regards
ICT SUPPORTERS TRUST BOARD

• Scotty pinned and featured this topic
9 minutes ago, AncientMariner said:

So, the ICT ST had a meeting with the club. The club said they intended appointing a SLO in the future. The club asked for your help but you said you were not in a position to help. The club dropped the idea for now. You got your feelings hurt. 

Does that about cover it?

Not privy to what went on but very clearly that does not cover it. It strikes me as another example of those representing the club being high handed, arrogant and not fulfilling promises and undertakings made.

It's not too late for matters to be resolved but it does need the club to start acting in a reasonable and constructive ways. 

A club is nothing without it's fans and, right now, the present regime seems to be going a long way towards alienating many of them.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, AncientMariner said:

So, the ICT ST had a meeting with the club. The club said they intended appointing a SLO in the future. The club asked for your help but you said you were not in a position to help. The club dropped the idea for now. You got your feelings hurt. 

I know there's some big words in there but it's not that confusing.

From what I've just read the ST and club met, discussed it, club indicated they were going to appoint a SLO as would match their silver licence aspirations and what Supporters Direct advise in the handbook.  

Club then emailed to say they were going to have a nebulous SLO 'function' as opposed to what is recommended and what had been discussed in the previous meeting. 

Therefore the ST did not endorse what they likely see as a half measure. 

Edited by Fraz
  • Agree 7

As Monsieur Trump has found out , continuance of dialogue is the only way to hash out a viable compromise when conflicting factions and interests clash. Right now, Canada and the U.S. (Under Trump) seem to be nearly at the breaking point regarding trade relations etc. and unless he adopts what I am talking about (continuous dialogue) it could result in a bleak trade situation.....for BOTH countries.

So, continuing contact and diplomatic dialogue appears to be the preferable option. Right now, the expression (heated or otherwise) of any hurt feelings that might currently arise  might stand in the way of progress. Why? Because the club is the stronger party and , as one former employee of mine once told me when I fired him for  negligence a long time ago,  "You will get more with honey that with vinegar!" 

Currently "The Donald" (ours, not the U.S.s) seems to be doing well and is on the right track. "Enough said, soonest mended."

Och Aye!

15 hours ago, AncientMariner said:

Not at all.  Following on from our initial meeting with the club we understood that the club was moving towards appointing a named SLO.  They asked for our help in pulling together the information needed to write the job description for that, which we were doing; and we obtained a copy of the handbook from SDS which pretty much did the job for them.  Then, without consultation or notice, they implement an entirely different process.  This was presented to us with an expectation that we would endorse it without discussion or objection.

14 hours ago, Fraz said:

I know there's some big words in there but it's not that confusing.

From what I've just read the ST and club met, discussed it, club indicated they were going to appoint a SLO as would match their silver licence aspirations and what Supporters Direct advise in the handbook.  

Club then emailed to say they were going to have a nebulous SLO 'function' as opposed to what is recommended and what had been discussed in the previous meeting. 

Therefore the ST did not endorse what they likely see as a half measure. 

Yes

14 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Did I miss this piece of information in the recent Supporters Trust update on 18/09/18 ?

The intention was to work with the club in announcing, at the appropriate time, the move to appoint a named SLO.  We didn't want to jump the gun and as the update for the 18th had already been written it was sent instead of delaying it in order to see how the SLO situation developed.

9 minutes ago, King Edward Ofere said:

What is a silver licence and the role of the SLO and why should I, the average fan, care about these things?

The SLO role is literally in bold at the bottom of the original post. The silver licence is quite convoluted I'd suggest Google it.

As to if you should care, that's up to you. 

7 minutes ago, Fraz said:

The SLO role is literally in bold at the bottom of the original post. The silver licence is quite convoluted I'd suggest Google it.

As to if you should care, that's up to you. 

Sounds pretty pointless, to be honest. I think I'll choose not to care.

11 minutes ago, King Edward Ofere said:

What is a silver licence and the role of the SLO and why should I, the average fan, care about these things?

The Silver License is a "standard" and there are a whole raft of things that a club need in order to get even the most basic of licences.  You can get more info at https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-fa/football-governance/club-licensing/

As Fraz has pointed out, the definition of the SLO is in the opening post.

Should you care? You cared enough to ask the questions you did!

In a word ... Money.

Being Bronze directly impacts the amount of money received from the SFA compared to being assessed as Silver. You get the rating of your lowest criteria and without a named SLO you cant get silver.  The document is worth a read as it gives you an idea of where/how the criteria are applied, not just in this area but in loads more. (attached for convenience) 

In terms of this thread, it is simple, 

2018-09-26_7-51-04.jpg

scottish-fa-club-licensing-manual-2018.pdf

6 minutes ago, Scotty said:

In a word ... Money.

Being Bronze directly impacts the amount of money received from the SFA compared to being assessed as Silver. You get the rating of your lowest criteria and without a named SLO you cant get silver.  The document is worth a read as it gives you an idea of where/how the criteria are applied, not just in this area but in loads more. (attached for convenience) 

In terms of this thread, it is simple, 

2018-09-26_7-51-04.jpg

scottish-fa-club-licensing-manual-2018.pdf

Money indeed which, as far as I am aware, is something that we don't have in great abundance. A very important reason for the club to consult properly and in good faith with legitimate interested parties including the duly elected board of whatever CJT are calling themselves these days. Vital that we get this right.

If rae and crook were in the fudge business then they would be world leaders because this slo thing is the biggest fudge they've tried with the fans so far.  If they are so committed to communication and community projects as they say then why do they treat fans with such contempt?

• Like 1

Lets hope its an impartial appointment with more affinity to the fans than the board members, while it may not be a member of senior management there is nothing stopping it being a position to bring in 'one of the boys' from elsewhere. While its a positive step trying to move this along in the bid for greater communication and fan consultation, there is also a danger that this is seen as a box ticking exercise in that fans are consulted but actions and decisions are still taken regardless. The issues many have cited on here regarding topics that the SLO should deal with such as kick-off times, stewarding, the club and its direction can all be dismissed or over-ruled on financial reasons which the board can cite as their remit.

There needs to be a clear description of the role made by the club including how communications are handled, levels of influence and manner for documenting discussions and avenues to challenge outcomes. Right now this is just talk to try tick a box towards as alluded to more SFA cash - if the club is serious then the basics will be put in place before engaging including a strategy for selecting or electing the 'right' person to represent both club AND fans.

• Agree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic