Robbo linked with Utd Job

CaleyD

Just read that Robbo has been linked with the Utd job.

Hope that doesn't happen.  I'm a believer that clubs need certain types of managers at certain times.  Robbo is what we need and capable of getting us back up, IMO.

My only worry is that if we are in the hunt come the turn of the year and could do with a player or two to push on for the run in, then we won't have the funds to back that.  If he knows/feels that, then he might just think it wiser to move on now!!

It take it you mean Dundee Utd? MourInho hasn't been sacked yet!

I would have thought a move to Utd was unlikely.  Anything short of promotion will be seen as failure for them and I would expect they will be looking for a higher profile manager.  For Robbo's part, the expectation would put a great deal of pressure on him to deliver on those expectations with a group of players he didn't pick.  If it didn't work out then what next for him?

He's settled up here and is getting good results from a squad that don't cost much and there must be a fair amount of job satisfaction in that.  From a career perspective (if he has ambitions to manage bigger clubs again) he will be far more marketable if he achieves promotion with us rather than simply having a lengthy unbeaten run in the league.  I can't see him going South unless there are things unsettling him behind the scenes here (which I certainly wouldn't rule out!)  

These situations are always a good opportunity to indicate an interest and to suggest to your current employer that unless you get some movement on certain issues you might be off.  Robbo is about the greatest asset the club has at the moment and the Board should be doing all they can to keep him happy.

• Agree 2

His own experience at Hearts, Brewster’s experience at Utd and even Pele’s tenure at Aberdeen should convince him it may not be a wise choice. 

Expectations at ICT are usually more realistic from both fans and board and provided you are doing a decent job it is traditionally one of the safest in football. 

• Agree 2

He could double his salary but failure to secure promotion at the end of the season would likely see him sacked.

His job at ICT is not half done yet but he's making good progress. I believe that it's in his interests and the interest of the club to stay on and finish what he's started.

• Agree 2

It would be an unmitigated disaster for us to lose Robbo.  He has proven adept not only at rebuilding a squad from a fraction of previous budgets but man management has been good too.  I can’t think of anyone who would come in if he went and do similar  and it would likely result in a blip that could cost us playoff/promotion.  

16 minutes ago, Glover said:

It would be an unmitigated disaster for us to lose Robbo.  He has proven adept not only at rebuilding a squad from a fraction of previous budgets but man management has been good too.  I can’t think of anyone who would come in if he went and do similar  and it would likely result in a blip that could cost us playoff/promotion.  

He could certainly teach his two immediate predecessors a great deal about man management.

• Facepalm 1

This is how I would like it to work out...........Dundee United ask for permission to speak to John Robertson.............The board grants permission.............John Robertson says thank you for your offer but I am going to remain at ICT.............Dundee United then appoint John Hughes.............ICT go to Tannadice and thump United.

• Funny 2

16 minutes ago, IBM said:

This is how I would like it to work out...........Dundee United ask for permission to speak to John Robertson.............The board grants permission.............John Robertson says thank you for your offer but I am going to remain at ICT.............Dundee United then appoint John Hughes.............ICT go to Tannadice and thump United.

Give them Foran, could easily slot a dozen goals in with him in charge...and United would be facing off against Brechin in League One next season...

The grass is always greener over the fence, John,.

But if you can get the team promoted this season your stock will be so high that you will probably be able to demand your own salary level with ease.

But, John,  since you are doing well in your present berth why not JUST STAY  and solidify your  position  with Caley Thistle. This will not upset anybody's apple cart and will abundantly confirm your expertise and great man-management. After that the world will be your oyster. ! 

I'm not sure that DUtd are in a position financially to pay compensation, if you read posts from DUtd fans many think the club is close to the edge financially and this may be their last year of being able to afford a promotion worth team (based on the players being established and on paper one of the better squads). Its more likely they will go for a free option and look at guys like McIntyre. If however they do approach Robbo and he is interested and have the cash given our financial position could we really turn down a high 5 or 6 figure fee? Our challenge would be who or where next but it would probably be from within the club.

Robbie Neilson seems to be the bookies' favourite and the fans' choice too.  Jim MacIntyre and Laurie Ellis at short odds as well.  Robbo and Yogi lead the outsiders at 10-1 and 12-1.  Giving the job to Ellis might free up a bit of cash for the January transfer window so I guess they will see how he does for a couple of games rather than rush to make an appointment.  I agree that Utd will not want to pay compensation on top of what ever Lazlo has walked away with but on the other hand, the appointment of the right manager for the club is the best investment a football club will ever make.  Lets just hope our Board will not have to make these kind of decisions again any time soon.

On 4 October 2018 at 6:23 PM, Kingsmills said:

He could certainly teach his two immediate predecessors a great deal about man management.

That would be the two who managed at a much higher level, mixing it with the likes of Hearts, Celtic etc as opposed to managing a side who finished half way up the second tier of Scottish football.

14 minutes ago, forresjags said:

That would be the two who managed at a much higher level, mixing it with the likes of Hearts, Celtic etc as opposed to managing a side who finished half way up the second tier of Scottish football.

That would be the two who had more than three times the budget that JR has, both lost the dressing room, one started our decline into relegation and the other finished the job.