Who should be our SLO?

TopSix

It needs to be someone who goes to games home and away. Old Caley Girl, RiG and Red Card spring to mind. We definitely don't need someone who doesn't attend regularly. With L_G no longer at the club, we badly need a 'link'. The crowd on Saturday was abysmal. Surprised the board aren't worried about the dwindling support. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

surely it must be the club that makes this appointment and i don't think it should be a supporter nominated individual. Nothing wrong with supporters appointing an individual to present questions to the slo and then coming back to the support with the answer. I would say Gordon Fyfe would be suitably qualified given his background and access to the board.

14 hours ago, TopSix said:

It needs to be someone who goes to games home and away. Old Caley Girl, RiG and Red Card spring to mind. We definitely don't need someone who doesn't attend regularly. With L_G no longer at the club, we badly need a 'link'. The crowd on Saturday was abysmal. Surprised the board aren't worried about the dwindling support. 

I do honestly think that the continuing disconnect between the club and the fans is having an effect on home crowds.

We are not the best supported club in the world but, given our league form, I suspect that we would get another three or four hundred at each home game had the board not soured relations.

It's not too late to put that right but the club need to be much more professional and much less high handed and dismissive in their dealings with the fans.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

surely it must be the club that makes this appointment and i don't think it should be a supporter nominated individual. Nothing wrong with supporters appointing an individual to present questions to the slo and then coming back to the support with the answer. I would say Gordon Fyfe would be suitably qualified given his background and access to the board.

SLO.png

The SFA & UEFA state it shouldn't  be from senior management.  They also refer clubs to Supporters Direct Scotland for further guidance on Gold/Silver - and was why the Supporters Trust passed on the handbook, which has excerpts such as:

"...senior management who will make the appointment..."

"...chosen from among the supporters where possible..."

"..ideally SLOs should come from the fan base..."

"..in most cases we would recommend the appointment of a recognised supporter..."

"...this does not mean an existing member of the club staff cannot be chosen for the role..."

"...the SLO must be present among the fans.  They SLO must know them and be known and accepted by them."

Edited by Glover
format

57 minutes ago, Glover said:

SLO.png

The SFA & UEFA state it shouldn't  be from senior management.  They also refer clubs to Supporters Direct Scotland for further guidance on Gold/Silver - and was why the Supporters Trust passed on the handbook, which has excerpts such as:

"...senior management who will make the appointment..."

"...chosen from among the supporters where possible..."

"..ideally SLOs should come from the fan base..."

"..in most cases we would recommend the appointment of a recognised supporter..."

"...this does not mean an existing member of the club staff cannot be chosen for the role..."

"...the SLO must be present among the fans.  They SLO must know them and be known and accepted by them."

thanks for that Glover. I suppose I should have done a bit of research before giving my opinion. Cheers.

1 minute ago, caleyboy said:

thanks for that Glover. I suppose I should have done a bit of research before giving my opinion. Cheers.

No probs, I should have sourced it properly - It's from the SFA's club licensing manual (national & UEFA), p58.   I agree supporters shouldn't nominate, and it's up to the club, but there is precedent via a shortlist:  Trust in Killie drew up a shortlist for a fan rep and KFC selected Cathy Jamieson from that list.  

Anyway, as the SFA manual and the SLO handbook indicates, it is assumed to be a person (as with most clubs, including RC...)  at home/away matches, not only for supporters but for the police, stewards, and club, and also in between games ad hoc.  

42 minutes ago, Glover said:

No probs, I should have sourced it properly - It's from the SFA's club licensing manual (national & UEFA), p58.   I agree supporters shouldn't nominate, and it's up to the club, but there is precedent via a shortlist:  Trust in Killie drew up a shortlist for a fan rep and KFC selected Cathy Jamieson from that list.  

Anyway, as the SFA manual and the SLO handbook indicates, it is assumed to be a person (as with most clubs, including RC...)  at home/away matches, not only for supporters but for the police, stewards, and club, and also in between games ad hoc.  

sounds as if there could be a great deal of time involved. is this normally a salaried position?

Except for Dunfermline and QotS, it is (as far as I can glean).  Ayr and Alloa don’t have one/no info.

I understand the ‘fiscal discipline’ approach but this seems like a cost saver (in terms of staff duties, better attendances, better communication for uptake, etc.) and an essential service considering the importance of fans to any club. 

Even if the resolute position was to not pay any salary, surely in the same way we offer free advertising/hospitality in exchange for essential services free/ a reduced fee (flooring, cherry picker, desk...) then something could be worked out as in ticket & travel?  Indeed, that might even be preferable to some.   

• 1 month later...