Potential Winter signings...

Jack Waddington

As you all of you are aware, we are slowly creeping into that time of the year where free agent transfers start to peak, just before the start of the Winter Transfer Window. I, have come up with an (albeit highly unlikely, and pretty are-you-drunk?) idea/signing. (Brace for it) Usain Bolt...(yep, you all think I'm off my nut), but as all (if not many) of you are aware, Bolt is looking to pursue a career in football and recently scored a double on his "debut" with Central Coast Mariners in Australia, though that game was a friendly, and he has not signed for them...I'm thinking we could get him in as his first club this winter, as A) You want to make a good impression for your first club I.e. not attempting to bankrupt them at negotiations, B) Need to sign for somebody before going to a massive club (he has mentioned wanting to play in the EPL) and C) He is coming to the age where you don't have a lot of time left as a player, he's 32. However, this is all dependant on finances and the case of OFW, and whether he'll be sold or sent on a free transfer. If (not counting on it) the board does make a move to sign him, it could and probably would expand the club's name around the world (If "Super Caley Go Ballistic Celtic Are Atrocious" and Lionel Nessi didn't enough). Another benefit, is that we will get MegaBucks when it gets to the time that he wants to go, as there will be club's globally that want his name.

However, all of this may be my weird fantasies of seeing the club get big time again, and I bet my life on that everyone that has read this is saying "This lad is completely bonkers". If you have read this far without lobbing your computer out the window because of my seemingly imbecilic idea, another move could be to offer him a trial...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scotty said:

apparently he already has an offer on the table for a 2 year deal with an un-named European side on the back of his 2 goal trial.  

Yep, a team with new owners, wanting CL football, if England - Aston Villa? 

15 minutes ago, Jack Waddington said:

However, all of this may be my weird fantasies of seeing the club get big time again, and I bet my life on that everyone that has read this is saying "This lad is completely bonkers". If you have read this far without lobbing your computer out the window because of my seemingly imbecilic idea, another move could be to offer him a trial...

We had Football's Next Star 2010 four years after the show, Ben Greenhalgh, so we have form...  

Given neither Celtic or Rangers would be able to finance a Bolt contract lets not start on that one. CCM would recieve funding towards any deal by the FFA under the marquee signing funding and the owner personally has said will pay a minimum of 60% of his wage if he signs.

Other than running fast, he's 32 and has scored 2 goals in a friendly playing for a professional team against some part timers. I'm not sure other than the positive media coverage whether he would bring a lot to a team at a higher level - marketers dream, but professional player to elevate clubs to the next level on field, not so sure. Football is littered with players who have great pace, some have made an impression on the game and others less so. Look at  Jake who was 10 years younger, maybe not quite as fast (but its all relative really as he looked like a whippet against opponents) and probably has more technical ability - he never really made it at ICT and is nowhere near the Hearts starting squad.

If Bolt makes it in any way as a footballer it will not be because of his pace.  Speed over 10 metres is more important than speed over 100 metres and Bolt needs a bit of time to get those long legs working.  If he can head a ball then his height and physical presence will be an asset.  He also strikes me as the sort of guy who will be very focussed and composed in front of goal.  I've no idea how good he will be but I am sure some team will pay him good money to find out.  It won't be us though.

This is where we should be looking and focusing, contact the agents/players stating we have £XX pw. Want to play, get fit and in the shop window for a move in Jan or next season then this is your chance. Some may grab at it and end up with a hungry player that we may not have managed to afford otherwise they can sit and drift into obscurity and get ready for a life of unskilled low paid work.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45481218

ICTFC have had a good few players over the years who were on "£1 a week" type deals.  However, there was a bit of a hullabaloo over it (throughout the game) when the minimum wage thing kicked off and I don't think it's as common/acceptable these days.

If we can pull off the Bolt signing that would give a welcome boost to our coffers what with all the extra shirts we would sell with his name on the back. A great move for the club if they can pull it off. Here's hoping!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Why stop at Bolt, we should sign Colin Kaepernick, he doesn't have a team and is a high profile athlete who'd sell a load of shirts.  Maybe we could bid for Kyrie Irving,  he's a flat earther and could hang out at that mad shop in Greig Street.

Really enthused about how the squad is taking shape now guys!!

• Funny 1

8 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Think that confirms my point, seeing NR sign for Brora. Players who have for various reasons ended up without a club and are having to take any offers available to keep fit and in the game. I'm sure NR could do a job at a higher level - even with us

Was he not training with our lot during the summer?

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Think that confirms my point, seeing NR sign for Brora. Players who have for various reasons ended up without a club and are having to take any offers available to keep fit and in the game. I'm sure NR could do a job at a higher level - even with us

I'm sure he would have had offers by now if clubs thought he was good enough.