Friday Night Football

CaleyD

More than a quarter of 16-to-24-year-olds do not drink.  They spend 35 hours a week online.  Kids spending less time outdoors than prisoners do.  This research does not indicate a growth market.  A future clientele who don't go to pubs, don't leave the house, and who want to be online.  

Add to that the rather inclement weather and the rather out of the way location and the price and I fear greatly for football.  Are they like churches?

1 hour ago, Glover said:

More than a quarter of 16-to-24-year-olds do not drink.  They spend 35 hours a week online.  Kids spending less time outdoors than prisoners do.  This research does not indicate a growth market.  A future clientele who don't go to pubs, don't leave the house, and who want to be online.  

Add to that the rather inclement weather and the rather out of the way location and the price and I fear greatly for football.  Are they like churches?

Yes and no. Posters of a certain generation gravitated toward Rangers / Celtic. Kids today are more interested in the big European clubs. Fifa 19 is huge. The club could be doing more to make match day an 'experience' than just 90 minutes of football. 

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, TopSix said:

Yes and no. Posters of a certain generation gravitated toward Rangers / Celtic. Kids today are more interested in the big European clubs. Fifa 19 is huge. The club could be doing more to make match day an 'experience' than just 90 minutes of football. 

Yep, and why not combine both of our examples?  A PS4 Fifa 19 tournament 10-12 (free flow red bull/coke/grape fanta - I don't know what the young ones drink, it was White Lightning in my day) and a calzone, pizza slice and a Premier League live game at 12.15, turn of the leccy at 2.50.  

I would much prefer that our youngsters played the real game at whatever level rather than watch TV or computer games or even watching the real thing. It gives them fitness for future years, discipline, work ethic, teaches them to take knocks fair or unfair and builds a competitive spirit all of which are transferable to other aspects of life. It would also give our country a larger pool from which to develop professional players.

Regrettably, today's society seem to be encouraging the exact opposite producing an unfit, overweight, soft generation with an expectation of entitlement and no competition.

I recall playing against Harmony Row under 15's there were 40 boys all clamouring for a game and their manager picked a team from that group before the game, he could probably have picked any 11 because they could all play.

In the 70's The Scottish Amateur league had 7 divisions each of 16/18 sides, West of Scotland 6 divisions, Scottish reserve 3 divisions, Stirlingshire 3 divisions, Paisley and district 4 divisions. Our club had 73 registered players at training for three sides on a Saturday so the number of sides probably don't reflect the number of registered players.

We need to somehow get back to those days and I firmly believe it starts at the schools.

• Agree 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, wynthank15 said:

I would much prefer that our youngsters played the real game at whatever level rather than watch TV or computer games or even watching the real thing. It gives them fitness for future years, discipline, work ethic, teaches them to take knocks fair or unfair and builds a competitive spirit all of which are transferable to other aspects of life. It would also give our country a larger pool from which to develop professional players.

Regrettably, today's society seem to be encouraging the exact opposite producing an unfit, overweight, soft generation with an expectation of entitlement and no competition.

I recall playing against Harmony Row under 15's there were 40 boys all clamouring for a game and their manager picked a team from that group before the game, he could probably have picked any 11 because they could all play.

In the 70's The Scottish Amateur league had 7 divisions each of 16/18 sides, West of Scotland 6 divisions, Scottish reserve 3 divisions, Stirlingshire 3 divisions, Paisley and district 4 divisions. Our club had 73 registered players at training for three sides on a Saturday so the number of sides probably don't reflect the number of registered players.

We need to somehow get back to those days and I firmly believe it starts at the schools.

Are you serious? Soft, expectation of entitlement? Can you back that up with some facts please before you alienate a whole generation.

Edited by MorayJaggie

Hi MJ, according to the WHO obesity rates have increased 93% since 1996 and two thirds today of the male population in the UK are classified as overweight or obese (also a WHO stat). If you are overweight you cannot compete at a contact sport (there are a few exceptions) I include rugby, football, boxing, wrestling you are soft, as you cannot cope with the physical challenge, you simply have not developed the necessary amount of muscle which is gained through training, nor the courage to get into direct confrontation. We are told that the youngsters today are spending on average 5-7 hours on social media that hardly leaves time for anything else outside of school and studying.

As regards entitlement, I know of several employers who have offered jobs to unemployed lads, effectively apprenticeships and they cannot find an assistant, the various excuses are 1) the start time is too early 7.00am 2) the work is too heavy 3) The wages are too low, when I started work my annual wage was £600, less than my part time summer job paid me pro rata.

I could also bore you with stories of the Welfare league in this area but I wont bother. Look, I'm not going to tar an entire generation with my comments because there are exceptions but as a generalisation my comments are fair.

PS Add in the attitude of schools today when we can have no winners and no losers and you end up with a generation of non triers where even the losers WIN ie give grades for qualifications which are in fact a FAIL. Sorry, I need to lie down now.

Edited by wynthank15
forgot a PS
  • Agree 1
  • Facepalm 1

18 minutes ago, wynthank15 said:

Tell me, which part of my generalisation do you disagree with Caley D (sorry ICT supporters trust chairman) instead of throwing in your snide epithet and standing back. Picking out a sentence without context is simply being a provocateur.

You can't say "I'm not going to tar everyone with the same brush" when that's what you've just done and then reenforced it by saying you're making a generalisation....well, you can as that's what you've done....hence the :wtf:

• Agree 1

I mean, it's a Friday night game, if it was a home game, sure, why not, but it's upwards of 200 miles both ways. Saturday, I'd gladly go, cos then I'll have Sunday off, but considering most work a saturday morning/afternoon shift, it's not exactly putting the fans first. I'll make every attempt I can to go to any game, but not getting home until the wee hours is what throws me off. Evening kickoffs should be reserved for Tuesday/Wednesday fixtures, not weekend ones...

3 hours ago, wynthank15 said:

Hi MJ, according to the WHO obesity rates have increased 93% since 1996 and two thirds today of the male population in the UK are classified as overweight or obese (also a WHO stat). If you are overweight you cannot compete at a contact sport (there are a few exceptions) I include rugby, football, boxing, wrestling you are soft, as you cannot cope with the physical challenge, you simply have not developed the necessary amount of muscle which is gained through training, nor the courage to get into direct confrontation. We are told that the youngsters today are spending on average 5-7 hours on social media that hardly leaves time for anything else outside of school and studying.

As regards entitlement, I know of several employers who have offered jobs to unemployed lads, effectively apprenticeships and they cannot find an assistant, the various excuses are 1) the start time is too early 7.00am 2) the work is too heavy 3) The wages are too low, when I started work my annual wage was £600, less than my part time summer job paid me pro rata.

I could also bore you with stories of the Welfare league in this area but I wont bother. Look, I'm not going to tar an entire generation with my comments because there are exceptions but as a generalisation my comments are fair.

PS Add in the attitude of schools today when we can have no winners and no losers and you end up with a generation of non triers where even the losers WIN ie give grades for qualifications which are in fact a FAIL. Sorry, I need to lie down now.

Perhaps the most idiotic rambling I've seen on CTO, which is really saying something.

• Agree 1

The world is getting smaller daily and kids are now in possession of electronic devices that now they just can't do without. They don't even read comics or the Inverness Courier  these days. They can see any sport they like on the telly and  so forth and so on. which discourages them from the exhaustion that may result from  moving to get out of their chair just to go down to the football stadium in often very nasty weather  to watch the more energetic lads  get the odd kick of the ball. To suggest that it would be exciting for them  to walk down the road a mile or so to the Stadium and stand on the windy high Terracing,  like I did  at Hib's ground every other Saturday for years...…..but  never telling them that truly in them thar days there was not much else for a man to do  on a Saturday afternoon in the Winter...….  is never going to be an option that they will take seriously IMHO unless they have an initially  large incentive to actually attend games. Which would be what...?

The huge effect of T .V, and cell phones and rapidly-advancing technology and gaming etc., etc,  online contacts has worked their magic and it's nearly a lost cause.  AND I just don't think that Scottish footie  promoters have got enough ball rolling to now ever  crack the puzzle, Complacency on their part may be present but lack of money and a refusal to embrace change and adapt to the successful ways of other world-wide stadia events is gonna kill them. It's too much of a challenge good friends and there just is not , apparently, the thirst for success and the dynamism present in their bones to overcome the changes creeping up and over them. 

North America is razz ma tazz, banging  marching bands and and lovely young dancing girls trying to  thrill the punters  etc.at sports events whereas Scotland doesn't seem to have anything to offer the punters at half time. "Same old"  nowadays just can't cut it, at least IMHO, because changes are too rapid for them to ever catch up when the opportunity to seize the nettle by the whiskers  drifts past their windows.

The solution? Frankly I don't think there ever will be one  on a scale grand enough to make that much , or even any, difference  to the clubs on the lower financial levels. Life and the progress of events  is mostly all about money and so, without substantial investment  being made,  apparently the edge of the precipice is always going to loom large for the majority of wee clubs.

And in about an hour's time I will be watching the Canucks on T,V, playing at home in Vancouver, and I know that there will be  very fast ice hockey with often brilliant skating from very fit  youngsters, lots of physical contact...some brutal spills and thrills and hopefully a barrow load of goals and all played in front of big crowds baying and cheering most of the time determined to get their money's worth.

To be truthful.....it's catching. Especially when you  are sitting in a warm room with, er, a small nightcap in your hand. But no  (now legal)  marijuana anywhere near me.  " My name is Vyshinski, Vyshinski with a hyphen, what's yours, eh?"  " Waal, buddy, whusky, whusky with a siphon will do me fine." 

And why not because the Whitecaps have  now sacked their Manager and many of his assistants and hangers on , so where do they go now?

• Facepalm 1

19 hours ago, wynthank15 said:

Ok which generation has made the rules and policies to which the younger generation now live by? It's only societies issue that the reap what they sow. What were the baseline figures the  World Health Organisation used to get their data and what kind of cross reference study base did they use? You are also basing your argument on a study from 22 years ago which doesn't really apply to the youth of today as that age group would now be in their late thirties and 40s.  People don't have to accept jobs if they don't like the working conditions. I.e the older shell workers who get pampered off shore moaning about safety, working a 3 on 3 off rota quickly accept the dangerous working pattern when given an extra 15% pay rise. Your generalisation of a generation does not work.

Edited by MorayJaggie

19 hours ago, wynthank15 said:

What the on earth has someone's weight got to do with being 'soft' ? What does that even mean? What a nonsense ramble. 

I'd love for you to have gone up to some of the guys I used to work on site with who were 20+ stone and call them soft. Goodnight Vienna.  

• Agree 1

Looking at the attendances in the spfl last night mid week school night in the cold windy wet of a Scottish autumn. Attendances bar Livingstone were actually pretty decent. 12300 at pittodrie, 42000 at ibrox 7500 at dens, 1400 at almondvale (no different from a Saturday really). 4000 in paisley and obviously tynecastle 19000.