Alloa -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

Not much point having a goal scorer in the pitch if we, erm, don't create goal scoring chances. 

That was dire today. Narrow pitch or not players like Doran and Walsh failed to provide any meaningful chances for White who is unfairly getting pelters on here. He really doesn't have much to work with most of the time. He's the kind of striker that plays with his back to goal so coming up against a team like Alloa that sits very deep he isn't going to get a lot of opportunities to score. We never stretched the play, we never managed to attack with any kind of pace or incision that allowed us to get in behind the home defence.

We were just meh all over the park. MacKay probably had the best chance for us when, in the second half, he gambled on a ball being played in and Parry rushed out smartly to smother the shot. Aside from that we were desperately poor.

Forget about County next week, we've got Dunfermline on Tuesday night first. Let's focus on that.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, RiG said:

Not much point having a goal scorer in the pitch if we, erm, don't create goal scoring chances. 

That was dire today. Narrow pitch or not players like Doran and Walsh failed to provide any meaningful chances for White who is unfairly getting pelters on here. He really doesn't have much to work with most of the time. He's the kind of striker that plays with his back to goal so coming up against a team like Alloa that sits very deep he isn't going to get a lot of opportunities to score. We never stretched the play, we never managed to attack with any kind of pace or incision that allowed us to get in behind the home defence.

We were just meh all over the park. MacKay probably had the best chance for us when, in the second half, he gambled on a ball being played in and Parry rushed out smartly to smother the shot. Aside from that we were desperately poor.

Forget about County next week, we've got Dunfermline on Tuesday night first. Let's focus on that.

Yes, let's get the 0-0 draw against Dunfermline over and done with first. Trick or flipping Treat. Not the latter!!

Rather depressing overall. Ayr and County have opened up a gap at the top and by the sounds of it, the Arabs are getting their act together under their new boss.

Two goals In the last five matches says it all. It has been clear from day one that our attackers lack finishing ability. Today although Alloa looked slicker than us a lot of the time, we had a handful of decent chances but lacked the composure / ability to take them.

Need to go up about three gears to have any chance of a play off place.

Sounds like we got a point we didn't deserve today.

Ive seen the MOM votes so far, and sounds like McCart did ok. Should our pairing be McCart and Donaldson?

Hope Carlo will not be out for long.

Dunfermline seem to be in turmoil, so hopefully we get a result against them on Tuesday, to set us up for the derby. I think we can win it!!

Dylan Kerr formerly Kilmarnock mentioned on the radio that his team Gor Mahia are playing Everton on 6th November at Goodison. He reckoned 5/6 were SPL standard and a few could play in the English championship. maybe Robbo should take a look. These guys are all looking to play their football in Europe according to Kerr.

Oh come on RIG. This criticism of White is surely entirely fair. I dont like having a go at an individual and I realise you are an ever present whilst I attend less regularly. I have however seen enough of Mr White to be fairly sure that i am close to the mark. His game awareness appears poor.........where is the ball likely to be played.?...........anticipation of touches and knock ons......is amongst the worst I have seen from an ICT striker. He wins little in the air and rarely gets more than 6 ins off the ground when jumping. It is true we are short on creativity but all the more need then for a mobile,alert man up front giving 100% (I dont believe in 110% as I feel it is impossible......over to the mathematician Mantis). It is no coincidence that the goals have dried up with the current line up. I like Oakley at this level.......he really puts himself about and is our best option.........hurry back son. Cheers from Porto Santo. Oh and stop press from here..........Cristiano Ronaldo ,who owns half this island, is entirely innocent of all accusations..........

Edited by Naelifts
addition
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Naelifts said:

Oh come on RIG. This criticism of White is surely entirely fair. I dont like having a go at an individual and I realise you are an ever present whilst I attend less regularly. I have however seen enough of Mr White to be fairly sure that i am close to the mark. His game awareness appears poor.........where is the ball likely to be played.?...........anticipation of touches and knock ons......is amongst the worst I have seen from an ICT striker. He wins little in the air and rarely gets more than 6 ins off the ground when jumping. It is true we are short on creativity but all the more need then for a mobile,alert man up front giving 100% (I dont believe in 110% as I feel it is impossible......over to the mathematician Mantis). It is no coincidence that the goals have dried up with the current line up. I like Oakley at this level.......he really puts himself about and is our best option.........hurry back son. Cheers from Porto Santo. Oh and stop press from here..........Cristiano Ronaldo ,who owns half this island, is entirely innocent of all accusations..........

There is your answer Naelifts in bold

Rig is giving his opinion based on seeing most of the games.

You blame White for the lack of goals but in the last 6 league games we as a team have only scored 5 goals and White has scored 3 of them .

His game awareness is very good he lays balls off well set one up for Walsh yesterday, he wins flick ons and links play up , if you actually suss out what type of player he is, like Rig has done, then as a back to goal striker he is a very good at it. I personally think we should change to a 442 and have him playing with Oakley or Austin and on yesterdays performace young McKay did enough for me to be given an opportunity in a wide position.

I understand most people look for a scapegoat but the facts would lead me to the belief you you are picking the wrong player to blame. I think people have preference for a particular type of player look at arguments about Messi and Ronaldo for instance but they are both excellent players. Same with our strikers they  all have  decent scoring ratios for the Championship that could get them into the top five scorers in the league.

So surely we need to be looking at other players to step up and play like they did  against Partick which was a wonderful first half performance by eveyrone and some even said it was the best performance in years of free flowing football.

Sorry if Im going against the tide with this one, same as Rig but I base my judgement on what I see backed up by facts not preference of a particular type of player.

Edited by Gregor
  • Agree 1

I think White is a fecking donkey.    By the law of averages he will score now and then,  but as said previously our midfield is more of a concern,  Our 'big' players are not giving us any edge at all, so is it them or is it tactics from management?   Is Robbo more concerned with not losing than winning despite what he says during interviews?    He's been coming out with the ' must do better in the final third ' for ages and it's never changing.  The introduction of dufus up front has made things worse.

6 hours ago, Naelifts said:

I'm not a big fan of White and, like you, I think Oakley is our best striker. However I think he (White) is getting a hard time on this thread from people who are slagging him off when his finishing was not the big problem yesterday. We again created precious little and struggled to prize apart a very strong Alloa defence. White isn't the kind of striker who is going to create his own chances. He needs to be set up with a good cross or a ball over the top to chase. Those kinds of chances were in very short supply yesterday so as much as folk can go on about White not scoring there are other parts of the side should be getting some of the blame as well.

• Agree 3

I have been thinking for a while now the club are quiet happy to be Mid Table they have no ambition or idea to take the club forward i will probably get shot down in flames for this but it is how i feel. FFS they can hardly get the basics right how would they cope with promotion would love to be wrong but ........

☹️

I agree that white is not our answer the games I've seen him play he is never on the end of crosses his positional awareness is shocking. He gets out jumped by players significantly smaller than him in stature and continually has the ball nicked off him. We don't have the luxury of having a striker who can't run at defences who has to wait for the perfect cross or pass to score we don't have the players to provide that. We need a striker like Austin or Oakley who will put in a shift to help mid field to run at defences and take on defenders. It needs to change and it needs to change now as we are becoming detached from the promotion race and if it continues the play off places.

• Agree 1

As ICT progressed through the divisions, no matter the opposition you always felt they were capable of scoring and a match for anyone. Same when they reached the SPL.

Admittedly I haven't seen a lot of matches over the last few seasons but watching them now is a bit depressing. No stand out players and little quality.

Perhaps it's a commentary on Scottish football in general?

7 hours ago, Gregor said:

Sorry if Im going against the tide with this one, same as Rig but I base my judgement on what I see backed up by facts not preference of a particular type of player.

Can certainly see the rationale but everybody is entitled to their opinions. It is your opinion NOT a fact - or explain what you mean by "facts" ? 

2 hours ago, Polo Chick said:

I have been thinking for a while now the club are quiet happy to be Mid Table they have no ambition or idea to take the club forward i will probably get shot down in flames for this but it is how i feel. FFS they can hardly get the basics right how would they cope with promotion would love to be wrong but ........

☹️

Again wholly entitled to your opinion - I too worry about how we would cope with promotion BUT I would rather get it and see. I have no doubt that everybody associated with the club will as well.  We are not getting beaten are we ?

22 hours ago, RiG said:

Absolutely spot on. White is having a torrid time playing up front on his own with no support and long hopeful balls pumped up to him. . 

Time for  Polworth , Doran and Walsh to step and start creating ,all 3 totally ineffective again  yesterday . 

TBH that was f****ing rubbish and a joyless watch for a decent away support ,Robertson and co need to get their collective fingers out as their is no Brechin safety net this year.

• Agree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic