Riccardo Calder Assault

MorayJaggie

40 minutes ago, Hugh Johnston said:

While I agree that the club has acted appropriately and as quickly as it could, some of the intolerance shown to posters who dared to have a different viewpoint is depressing. It seems to be the way today that tolerance of different views is not permitted.

What are you wittering on about? No posts have been removed as far as I am aware.

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

It's not a reprisal it's a proportionate and reasonable response to disgraceful conduct on the part of the player.

We have had players who have committed criminal acts in the past and retained their jobs with the club, Richies Hart and Foran come to mind. However, I can't recall any other player committing such a serious offence as this.

Feck me - do you ever read and consider posts ? I agreed that Calder's punishment was wholly appropriate. I used the word "reprisal" in relation to previous instances. But I suppose that substance misuse, Breach of The Peace and lying under a car to avoid arrest are excusable ? Ooops hang on - I agree ?

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Hugh Johnston said:

While I agree that the club has acted appropriately and as quickly as it could, some of the intolerance shown to posters who dared to have a different viewpoint is depressing. It seems to be the way today that tolerance of different views is not permitted.

I am genuinely confused about this post.

• Agree 1

Blimey; who'd run a football club! After what appears to have been an excellent performance suggesting we might have found the key to unlocking a few more wins, the club have no option but to forsake the services of the same player. And entirely understandable! And if Tremarco is still injured the impact on the club could be more challenging still.

4 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

I wholly agree with the decision but it is a sign of the times (again probably rightly so) but we have had players in the past who have committed offences with no reprisal.

not as serious as this

• Agree 1

Well this news has somewhat divided people with what the club should do. I think we can all agree that Calders actions are inexcusable and need to be punished accordingly. I am a firm believer of the innocent until proven guilty mindset so I am glad the club continued playing him until there was a firm verdict. However, a guilty verdict is damning and think the club has made the correct decision to let him go, there was no other choice! 

There is no excuse for his actions but people can change and hopefully Calder receives help to change whatever his punishment may be. He is only young and deserves a 2nd chance but must be punished for his outrageous actions 1st!

• Agree 3

Calder's actions and court verdict left the club with no other option but to cancel his contract. He was given a chance to come here and get his career back on track, and it seemed to be happening for him this season, and now, in one violent incident, he has not only blown his chance, but did something that will affect the rest of his life. He must now accept the sentence the court gives him, and in time, try and resurrect his career. Other players from other clubs have committed serious offences, Lawson, Goodwillie, and gone on to play for Scottish clubs, so he may get another chance somewhere else, depending on the outcome of the sentence. It is a very sad and very serious situation for all concerned. 

4 hours ago, Doofer said:

Well this news has somewhat divided people with what the club should do. I think we can all agree that Calders actions are inexcusable and need to be punished accordingly. I am a firm believer of the innocent until proven guilty mindset so I am glad the club continued playing him until there was a firm verdict. However, a guilty verdict is damning and think the club has made the correct decision to let him go, there was no other choice! 

There is no excuse for his actions but people can change and hopefully Calder receives help to change whatever his punishment may be. He is only young and deserves a 2nd chance but must be punished for his outrageous actions 1st!

I'm not so sure this has really divided people, think all agree the club has acted appropriately, it's just a case of whether he should have been punted now or suspended until sentencing then punted - he was going one way or the other! For a change I think the club have acted correctly and despite my initial reaction that he should have an immediate suspension, terminating his contract now was the correct course of action. Have to agree with Hugh's pov about some of the posts attacking other posts though when we are all basically thinking the same about the scumbag - we all wanted the same result no matter what approach was taken.

5 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

Gutted bout Calder what a clown defo 1 of our better players but can't have a woman beater on the pitch eh least it was only squaddies Foran hammered ! 

Tbh, that does bring up an interesting point. Richie had been involved in a few punch ups while at ICT, one being understandably for sectarian abuse against him and Doran from some drunkards, and another for something or other, and hell, he ended up keeping his place and eventually managing the team (albeit terribly).

Aaron Doran and Danny Devine (and another bloke, who was unnamed), also done in with the police over an incident which the police still haven't disclosed to the public, despite it being over 4 years on, and slapped with 40 quid fines.

I am definitely not saying what Ricky did was a good idea (firmly admit that karma gets back to you), but how come he got booted out of the club for clobbering someone (which the rest of these guys had done, some occasions they were a tad drunk), yet the rest managed to keep their contracts and get away with minimal repercussions (i.e. cuffs slapped on them then hauled to court and let off with fines/suspended jail sentence (which I believe was the case in Foran's first punch up))? I guess, in a way, it's to teach younger fans a lesson "Don't be an idiot and start punching people, just cos your car got slightly dented", but surely if that was the case, then Foran, Doran and Devine would've been kicked out to teach the younger fans a lesson of "Don't start fights in public"...

• Disagree 2
  • Facepalm 2

15 minutes ago, Jack Waddington said:

Tbh, that does bring up an interesting point. Richie had been involved in a few punch ups while at ICT, one being understandably for sectarian abuse against him and Doran from some drunkards, and another for something or other, and hell, he ended up keeping his place and eventually managing the team (albeit terribly).

Aaron Doran and Danny Devine (and another bloke, who was unnamed), also done in with the police over an incident which the police still haven't disclosed to the public, despite it being over 4 years on, and slapped with 40 quid fines.

I am definitely not saying what Ricky did was a good idea (firmly admit that karma gets back to you), but how come he got booted out of the club for clobbering someone (which the rest of these guys had done, some occasions they were a tad drunk), yet the rest managed to keep their contracts and get away with minimal repercussions (i.e. cuffs slapped on them then hauled to court and let off with fines/suspended jail sentence (which I believe was the case in Foran's first punch up))? I guess, in a way, it's to teach younger fans a lesson "Don't be an idiot and start punching people, just cos your car got slightly dented", but surely if that was the case, then Foran, Doran and Devine would've been kicked out to teach the younger fans a lesson of "Don't start fights in public"...

You really don't see any difference between a drunken scuffle and subjecting a woman to a sustained violent attack that also involved beating her with a shoe?

Stop the world, I want to get off!!

• Agree 2

Caley D summed it up perfectly . And he is right.

He attacked a woman,  who probably was  never ever a physical match for him for one thing. Then he threw a blunt object at her with a probably spikey heel attached  to it .Which could have blinded her at worst or done a lot of other damage to her body, face etc. and it appears that this was done with some force. Which was a  cruel and unusual retort. And did he not also  push her around at some point? 

A shouting match is one thing (sticks and stones will break your bones but names will never hurt you ) but this kind of violence towards a woman  is totally unacceptable and is evidence, as it seems, to latent rage within his being that could break out  I, and at, any circumstance that displeased him. If he does not get a jail sentence he will be lucky and should reflect deeply on the necessity for him to control his emotions.  OR learn to walk away and try again at  resolving the matter at a later date. 

The club Board considered the matter carefully and also probably took legal advice. So all power to their elbows.

• Agree 1

An important match at Firhill today.

Time to put this unfortunate matter behind us and concentrate on the football again. End our sequence of draws with three points and we remain firmly in the promotion mix. Players may come and go for whatever reason but the club remains.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

On 11/8/2018 at 7:29 PM, Kingsmills said:

It's not a reprisal it's a proportionate and reasonable response to disgraceful conduct on the part of the player.

We have had players who have committed criminal acts in the past and retained their jobs with the club, Richies Hart and Foran come to mind. However, I can't recall any other player committing such a serious offence as this.

I can and it resulted in a jail sentence for the player. Though I'm not sure if he was already signed pending sentence or he was a free agent when 'Pele' signed him after he was released. Sandy Robertson.

Edited by Snafu

8 hours ago, Snafu said:

I can and it resulted in a jail sentence for the player. Though I'm not sure if he was already signed pending sentence or he was a free agent when 'Pele' signed him after he was released. Sandy Robertson.

The offence was committed before we signed him. I have said that, once he serves his punishment, there is no reason why Calder can't resume his career elsewhere. Robertson fell into that category.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a quick scan of the public records for Birmingham Crown and Magistrate courts and could not see is name on the list for yesterday. published records may not be  complete or perhaps the papers got the date wrong. 

On 12/5/2018 at 11:24 AM, Scotty said:

Had a quick scan of the public records for Birmingham Crown and Magistrate courts and could not see is name on the list for yesterday. published records may not be  complete or perhaps the papers got the date wrong. 

The court records tend to be fairly comprehensive. A bit of a mystery. 

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, Kingsmills said:

The offence was committed before we signed him. I have said that, once he serves his punishment, there is no reason why Calder can't resume his career elsewhere. Robertson fell into that category.

Wow - Agreed initially but that story will stick with him for the rest of his life,