All Clubs Attendance records

tm4tj

17 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

Interesting for our younger fans maybe the all time attendance records for Scottish Clubs, albeit mostly before all seated stadiums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_football_attendance_records

Inverness coming in at No 39 out of 42 :ohmy:

Higher up if the record 2004 attendance at Pittodrie is used

wonder what Caley and Thistle record attendances are. Time to dig books out

6 minutes ago, Tree said:

Higher up if the record 2004 attendance at Pittodrie is used

Record attendance for Thistle 7,550 for a friendly against Celtic in 1972 to inaugurate the then new floodlights at Kingsmills.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Record attendance for Thistle 7,550 for a friendly against Celtic in 1972 to inaugurate the then new floodlights at Kingsmills.

I was there as a 15 year old, amazed at the oasis of light that Kingsmills was that night, due to It being the only place lit up that night as we were going through electricity blackouts and the three day working week. We walked from Hilton, and all you could see was the glow from Kingsmills. What a great spectacle It was.

• Agree 4

10 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I was there as a 15 year old, amazed at the oasis of light that Kingsmills was that night, due to It being the only place lit up that night as we were going through electricity blackouts and the three day working week. We walked from Hilton, and all you could see was the glow from Kingsmills. What a great spectacle It was.

I was saying recently over in the "Olde Inverness" forum that the ref that night was former Jags player, John RP Gordon, who was by then an international referee.  He was an old friend of my father - through the 5th Co BB - and he stayed with us while he was up for the match.  You are correct that it was during the power-cuts period, and I remember that Thistle had to hire generators  - can't remember if they were actually used. I must have been there, but I can't remember anything about it. I, too,  was 15 for most of 1972.

14 hours ago, Tree said:

Had a quick look at Alex Main's "Caley All the Way" book.  Can't see any references to "record attendance".  It may be that these records were never kept, or were lost when the stand burned down in 1950.

Some numbers which caught my eye:

- 6,000 for a Scottish Cup tie against Celtic on 18 January 1930

- 10,000 for a memorial match for "Joopie" Mitchell. A Caley-Thistle select played Celtic, who "were holders of the European Cup", so this was 1967 or 68. I am assuming that the match was at Telford Street, though the book doesn't say. I do have a vague memory of being in Telford Street and virtually unable to move, and I wonder if it was that game.

- 9,000 at Grant Street for a benefit match for Bobby Bolt, on 22 August 1951.  The opposition was Rangers, whom Bolt played for before he came to Caley. The match was at Grant Street because the new stand at Telford Street was still under construction

- 5,000 for the friendly with Rangers in 1978, immediately after which Billy Urquhart signed for the Gers.

16 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Had a quick look at Alex Main's "Caley All the Way" book.  Can't see any references to "record attendance".  It may be that these records were never kept, or were lost when the stand burned down in 1950.

- 10,000 for a memorial match for "Joopie" Mitchell. A Caley-Thistle select played Celtic, who "were holders of the European Cup", so this was 1967 or 68. I am assuming that the match was at Telford Street, though the book doesn't say. I do have a vague memory of being in Telford Street and virtually unable to move, and I wonder if it was that game.

- 9,000 at Grant Street for a benefit match for Bobby Bolt, on 22 August 1951.  The opposition was Rangers, whom Bolt played for before he came to Caley. The match was at Grant Street because the new stand at Telford Street was still under construction

- 5,000 for the friendly with Rangers in 1978, immediately after which Billy Urquhart signed for the Gers.

My late father, who was a Clach diehard, swears that he was in a crowd of 13,000 at Grant Street for a friendly against Rangers. He remembers the the Bobby Bolt testimonial and swore that the crowd for the earlier friendly was bigger.

9 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I was at the last one and I suspect that was the official sales not counting the peeps that got in over the wall...lol 

32 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Had a quick look at Alex Main's "Caley All the Way" book.  Can't see any references to "record attendance".  It may be that these records were never kept, or were lost when the stanin burned down in 1950.

The match for the dependants of Joopie Mitchel was held on the 11th of May 1968. Celtic won 6-1 with Huidean Lazenby getting the goal for the Thistle/Caley select, and Wallace 2, Gemmil 2 and Murdoch 2 for Celtic. It was Indeed at Telford Street with an amazing 10,000 crowd. Jock Stein took up the whole European cup winning squad for the game.

15 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

My late father, who was a Clach diehard, swears that he was in a crowd of 13,000 at Grant Street for a friendly against Rangers. He remembers the the Bobby Bolt testimonial and swore that the crowd for the earlier friendly was bigger.

Quite possible. Remember I was looking at a book about Caley - I don't have anything about Clach.  BTW, the Caley book reckons that there were another 2,000 on the railway embankment for the Bobby Bolt benefit.

The biggest crowd that I can find for Citadel is 4,000, for a Scottish Cup first round match against Partick Thistle on 16 January 1932.  Quite respectable, given that there were 3 other clubs in town, and that Citadel always struggled for support because of their remote location - not far from ICT's!

I remember being at Grant Street in 1972 for a friendly between an Inverness Select and Rangers. I think it might have been the last game they played before their Cup Winners Cup final against Moscow Dynamo in Barcelona where their fans disgraced themselves, not for the last time.

As I recall, the game ended 5-3 to Rangers. The ground seemed pretty packed but I don't know if an official crowd figure was ever announced.

19 hours ago, tm4tj said:

Interesting for our younger fans maybe the all time attendance records for Scottish Clubs, albeit mostly before all seated stadiums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_football_attendance_records

Inverness coming in at No 39 out of 42 :ohmy:

I’m pretty sure we’d rank pretty high in a list of longest unbeaten runs!

4 hours ago, Yngwie said:

I’m pretty sure we’d rank pretty high in a list of longest unbeaten runs!

That win brings the run up to 24 and brings up to =16th with Livingstone on the list of longest unbeaten runs.  Another 3 games without defeat and we would rise sharply to joint 10th.

Airdrieonians record is 25, Falkirk and Raith 26, Partick, Morton and Stirling Albion are all on 27.  Unfortunately we have some way to overtake County who are in 3rd place with their run of 37 games without defeat.  That is just one behind Rangers (remember them?).  Celtic are way ahead with a run of 62 undefeated.

Surprisingly, Dundee Utd's best unbeaten run ever is just 16 games and puts then 36th on the list.

These and loads of other interesting bits and pieces from  http://londonhearts.com/scores/aseq/all_ulleg.html   I have no idea how reliable the data is but what I have seen looks pretty sound as far as I can tell.

I was at the Joopie Mitchell memorial game  against Celtic. I was in the stand with my dad and remember Tommy Gemmil amongst others. It was at Telford Street and tickets were hard to get but my dad worked alongside Alec Main so we must have got tickets via him. A memorable occasion for a young schoolboy. This is my first post by the way though I was around in the early days with the late Gordy from Sneck. I have been a lurker though and appreciate all your posts keeping me up with the news. Thanks.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Mr Eager said:

I was at the Joopie Mitchell memorial game  against Celtic. I was in the stand with my dad and remember Tommy Gemmil amongst others. It was at Telford Street and tickets were hard to get but my dad worked alongside Alec Main so we must have got tickets via him. A memorable occasion for a young schoolboy. This is my first post by the way though I was around in the early days with the late Gordy from Sneck. I have been a lurker though and appreciate all your posts keeping me up with the news. Thanks.

Welcome back Mr Eager, I remember you ?

I was at two on that list. The ICT one obviously, and Ayr United. Imagine 25225 crammed into Somerset.

1 hour ago, TheMantis said:

Welcome back Mr Eager, I remember you ?

I was at two on that list. The ICT one obviously, and Ayr United. Imagine 25225 crammed into Somerset.

The one I find it hardest to imagine is over 27,000 at Cliftonhill. I imagine that the ground was in a slightly better state of repair than it is these days.

Looking at the list, I was at three of the games.

Elgin v Arbroath

County v Rangers

Ict v Rangers

Arbroath were a top second division side at the time and were promoted to the top divison as runners up. Remember there were only two divisions then.

The County game we travelled through snow drifts from Grantown to get to Dingwall. I'm sure the original tie was postponed and it went ahead on a Monday afternoon, had to take time off school to go to the game.

1 hour ago, tm4tj said:

County v Rangers

The County game we travelled through snow drifts from Grantown to get to Dingwall. I'm sure the original tie was postponed and it went ahead on a Monday afternoon, had to take time off school to go to the game.

Yup, I was there too - 9 years old.  My father had come into school the week before to ask the headmaster if I could have time off.

(I see from the Courier website that that headmaster - Callum MacLeod, Crown School - has just died.)

2 hours ago, tm4tj said:

Looking at the list, I was at three of the games.

Elgin v Arbroath

County v Rangers

Ict v Rangers

Arbroath were a top second division side at the time and were promoted to the top divison as runners up. Remember there were only two divisions then.

One up on me. I was not at the County game. Obviously had an aversion to Dingwall even as a child ?