Scottish League Three?

Jack Waddington

Words been circulating that they're looking to add a fourth tier to the SPFL. Consisting of 4 Highland League, 4 Lowland League and 4 Colt teams. Opinions?

Personally, I think it's a decent idea, however, I don't like the Colt team idea...the only way is accept League Three is if the Colt teams can't get promoted from it or win titles (Like other leagues in Europe) and if it's an easier drop to the Highland/Lowland League, I.e. both top teams in the leagues are automatically promoted, and the bottom two are put in the leagues depending on location, making the Highland/Lowland The equivalent of the National League in England, where it's non league but part of the pyramid, unlike what it is now, where it is recognised, but not part of the pyramid fully.

It's a long way from Brora to anywhere ?

I think the quality of the SPFL is low enough, without adding another tier.

I thought that just a couple of years ago they were thinking about combining the 4 divisions into 2 or 3 larger divisions?   What happened to that?

Yes, small divisions may lead to more excitement as clubs are rarely marooned in mid-table with no chance of going up or down.  But do you enjoy seeing the same nine teams 4 times in a season?  And what about the numbers of draws that small divisions give you - 5 in 11 Scottish league games yesterday,  but only 4 out of 22 in the English league.

I would be in favour of extending the pyramid system but, for economic and practical reasons, I would prefer below League Two to be tegiinalised perhaps with second divisions for both the Highland and Lowland Leagues. Not in favour of colt teams at all.

It won't happen for reasons of insularity and self interest but I would prefer two national divisions if 18 with each team playing each other twice with below that being regionalised.