Edinburgh City - Scottish Cup

tm4tj

Any away cup game to lower league/non league opposition is a potential banana skin. Looks like we've escaped this one and the boys will do the business in replay,  but penalty practice in training should be given priority until 4th Dec!

39 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

How about you shut your mouth and give yer erse a chance ?  ?

Well i didn't open my mouth, i typed using a keyboard. and being  keyboard warrior you should know this...    

Very disappointed to see the lads come back from the international break and not put this one to bed. Shame to see the trend of 1 out 3 shots being on target and 12 shots with only 1 goal. ach well, hopefully when they come up the road it will be a different story.

That said, Edinburgh City are top of their table playing 12 and winning 10, losing only to Elgin and Clyde, they would have been well up for today.

12 minutes ago, LairdMattie said:

Very disappointed to see the lads come back from the international break and not put this one to bed. Shame to see the trend of 1 out 3 shots being on target and 12 shots with only 1 goal. ach well, hopefully when they come up the road it will be a different story.

That said, Edinburgh City are top of their table playing 12 and winning 10, losing only to Elgin and Clyde, they would have been well up for today.

Two ways of looking at it. Most optimistically, an upset and embarrassment avoided with an opportunity to rectify things the week after next.

A warning but not a disaster.

• Agree 1

The manner of the performance was the issue. It was devoid of creativity and confidence. It was clear to start with that the city defence was there for the taking. Early on Polly was in 1v1 buy hit it straight at the keeper. The Austin blasted over from close in (think the keeper got a touch), and White blazed over from the edge. Breakthrough came late on when a corner was swung to the back post and Rooney did well to nod it. 

Second half we didn't really push on and seemed content with a 1-0. City upped the pressure late on and it looked like Ridgers spilled a cross ball right to the city attacker. Another few frantic moments. Both sides deserved the result but for very different reasons. Lots of players played within themselves and should be disappointed.

• Agree 3

42 minutes ago, caley100 said:

Well i didn't open my mouth, i typed using a keyboard. and being  keyboard warrior you should know this...    

You are getting worse than the Fool from the Hill - It was a feckin wind up and a Busteresque response ? I am so glad that Buster has been banned from posting on this thread.

Surprised at the collective shrug of indifference from some on here after that performance today. As SO mentions the performance was devoid of creativity, as it has been for weeks on end now. We've been so sluggish in pretty much every game aside from the Derby match for the last couple of months with no real sign of improvement. You could copy and past pretty much everything I have said after games against the likes of Alloa, Dundee United, QotS and so on about our lack of penetration in the final third and passing up the few chances we do create. Today we were again wasteful in the first half and then in the second half we went very defensive and sat back inviting pressure on to us and paid the price.

Odd line up. McCart was at left back and did fine. Not sure who was meant to be going on in front of the defence though. Walsh was deployed on the left, Chalmers and Welsh in the middle with Polworth drifting across the pitch behind Austin and White. Having two up helped keep City pinned back for the most part but White was really poor today. Wouldn't have minded seeing Oakley and Austin getting some time up front together. After the subs we seemed to be playing three at the back (Mckay, Donaldson and McCart) with MacKay and Walsh on the left and right flanks respectively, Chalmers, Trafford and Welsh in the middle with Polworth behind Oakley.

Looked like Ridgers lost the ball for the City equaliser dropping it at the feet of one of their players but they probably should have scored long before they did testing Ridgers with some decently struck long range efforts prior to that. Massively disappointing from us, particularly in the second half, where we completely took our foot off the pedal and paid the price. We're not good enough to get by on one goal and really should have gone for the jugular. City were barely a threat in the first half so it's concerning how we much let them back into the game and how poor again we were in an attacking sense. A performance that we really shouldn't be happy about and I'm sure Robertson and the players aren't happy either.

• Agree 3

What RiG and SO said. At half time I think most of us reckoned it would probably end up a comfortable 3-0 win, but unfortunately the players must’ve thought that too.

A pitch like that just shows up White’s deficiencies, and not just him either. Maybe he can do a job in the winter on a heavy park, but I’ll not hold my breath. I didn’t think the other two contributed much either. Austin really should have scored after about 15 minutes.  

As RiG says we seemed to switch to a 3-5-2 second half but the 5 were largely redundant as the ball spent so long in the air. When we’re resorting to long punts against a team two divisions below us, it’s appalling. The equaliser looked a bit fluky but that made the last few minutes quite nerve-wracking.

I was puzzled as to why Doran didn’t start- although he’s been poor, I would have thought this surface against lower league opposition would have been tailor made for him.

51 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

More  money for the club from the replay!! That's the ticket! And the possibility of a home win must loom large now as Well, onward and upward. Be positive. Caley Thistle will win at home surely?

Scarlet, a midweek replay against Edinburgh City where we have to split the gate money will not generate any money for the club. It may well end up costing us money.

Just now, Kingsmills said:

Scarlet, a midweek replay against Edinburgh City where we have to split the gate money will not generate any money for the club. It may well end up costing us money.

Edinburgh City May well bring a coachload, possibly even just players and supporters together. Can’t see any more than that. Hope our guys break with tradition and come out for this one. It’ll be a bit like the Crusaders game crowdwise  if you ask me.

• Agree 1

Got your point, but let's just wait and see.A break-even point would also be half decent since it keeps the club and its name in the limelight..especially if we win!

It also affords the club the opportunity of being very courteous and hospitable to the "little" City team which can do no  harm to our reputation in places like Edinburgh and Glasgow...specially if we win! 

Let's stay positive ladies et gentihommes . Smile.

Brrr. getting rainy and cold here today in  Maple Ridge , Canada. Frosty at night and the snow is not far away, I can feel it.

Well that was a disaster of a performance and once again the usual blah blah of  blame the strikers on here. White in particular is the scapegoat lol.

The midfield was a shambles no creativity at all .Polworth did hee haw but miss a chance to score, he cant play wide right so why does Robbo play him there. Walsh couldnt make a decent cross all day cant miss the first defender.

Why are we playing 2 defensive midfielders in central midfield no creativity from Welsh or Chalmers but thats not their game but Robbo picks them as central midfield,  Madness imo after we did so well in latter part of game against Queens with Polworth central as a two and young McGregor came on wide.

There were two misses from Austin and Polworth  which should have been converted , but in reality we really need to get our midfield sorted to create more opportunities to score Polworth should be playing central, but he was bad today as were all his team mates in midfield.Walsh  created nothing today, its no wonder as he never lifts his head to see his team mates in good positions.

Have to say the pitch is a disgrace no wonder some managers have a right song and dance about these pitches.

We will beat them at home but cmon we really need to uo our game creatively because that today was diabolical.

Quite frankly an embarrassment of a performance and result. Could see it coming for much of the second half. We barely troubled their keeper and are badly in need of some creativity. Far too passive and lacking any kind of cutting edge. Very poor.

• Agree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic