Edinburgh City - Scottish Cup

tm4tj

3 hours ago, RiG said:

Massively disappointing from us, particularly in the second half, where we completely took our foot off the pedal and paid the price. We're not good enough to get by on one goal and really should have gone for the jugular.

That was what I found most upsetting. We seemed sit off them in second half when it was clear in the first that they struggled when we pressed from the front. The squad is poor, and Robbo's been getting the best out if them, but I thought he fluffed it today. Can't believe White got 70mins - really concerning to see him look just as poor against a lower standard of opposition. Once Robbo had made the changes, I assume to get Polly further forward, we completely failed to get the ball into him. Almost every time we got into forward areas it was the result of a punt and we don't have anyone with the quality to make anything out of those balls. 

Really disappointed today. It was wet, cold and my kids were annoying me for the whole game. I'm definitely leaving them at home and getting hammered the next time I go to watch this shower.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Caley Stan said:

That was what I found most upsetting. We seemed sit off them in second half when it was clear in the first that they struggled when we pressed from the front. The squad is poor, and Robbo's been getting the best out if them, but I thought he fluffed it today. Can't believe White got 70mins - really concerning to see him look just as poor against a lower standard of opposition. Once Robbo had made the changes, I assume to get Polly further forward, we completely failed to get the ball into him. Almost every time we got into forward areas it was the result of a punt and we don't have anyone with the quality to make anything out of those balls. 

Really disappointed today. It was wet, cold and my kids were annoying me for the whole game. I'm definitely leaving them at home and getting hammered the next time I go to watch this shower.

Cant believe you pick out White as the only one to complain about  after that disgrace of a midfield performance.

As I said before White is a decent player , who just happens to be our top goalscorer, but is the scapegoat for many fans.

What a difference a week makes. Last week we come back from 3 down (could have been six according to reports) to draw 3-3 and then this week we struggle against against a 4th tier outfit. This is cup football don't forget. If we wind the clock back around 20 years or so we'd have looked forward to taking on higher status opposition away from home and raised our game accordingly. But we're not that team any more and are there (as giants??!!) for the taking. Edinburgh City are an in form side and we shouldn't really expect an easy ride. Having said that, we should still have beaten them. Looks like we just didn't turn up and were in the that lets-put-our-feet-up-Sunday-afternoon mode. We've made life difficult now with a replay on a Tuesday night and then the long haul down to Ayr for Friday night football. Lets just hope the replay doesn't go to extra time and pens.

Youd think we had never struggled with lower league opposition in the cup before!! Stranraer or Stirling Albion anyone? 

RIG and Stan sum it up for me. Not a good day! It was cold and wet and a throughly miserable afternoon.  You could see how disappointed the players were at the end as they and we know we let it slip in the second half when we should have gone for the jugular. 

This always had banana skin potential. Lets hope weve learned a lesson and can finish this off quickly on the 4th. 

PS White's lack of movement around  the ball really starting to annoy me. Then there is Austin who clearly thinks he is better than he is. 

• Agree 5

Not long since we were winning this cup , how things change. Away wins at Celtic for instance  , well never mind, keep dancing.

Seem to remember a lower league team defeating Celtic in the cup , who was that I wonder ?. Lets all cry in our beer,

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 3

1 hour ago, Laurence said:

Not long since we were winning this cup , how things change. Away wins at Celtic for instance  , well never mind, keep dancing.

Seem to remember a lower league team defeating Celtic in the cup , who was that I wonder ?. Lets all cry in our beer,

I was also there when we’re getting papped out of cups by league one Partick Thistle or League two Queens Park. This is the cup and that’s what makes it so magical, I miss those days of being the serious underdog and making a big day out of it. Days like Motherwell 1-0 where Barry Wilson scored from about 55 yards, taking killie to a replay or the 3-1 at Tynecastle.

• Like 1

A huge disappointment of a performance and a result of course. Why can't our players play to their strengths instead of trying to play like players with abilities they clearly don't possess ?

Anyway, we live to fight another day and if we win the replay next week the mighty East Kilbride lie in wait - another potential banana skin.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

I was also there when we’re getting papped out of cups by league one Partick Thistle or League two Queens Park. This is the cup and that’s what makes it so magical, I miss those days of being the serious underdog and making a big day out of it. Days like Motherwell 1-0 where Barry Wilson scored from about 55 yards, taking killie to a replay or the 3-1 at Tynecastle.

That Partick Thistle one still annoys me. Especially Liam Fox missing a chance to make it 3-1.  Somebody sitting behind me yesterday brought up the Hearts - Gretna final and it set me off again ? 

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, Gregor said:

Cant believe you pick out White as the only one to complain about  after that disgrace of a midfield performance.

As I said before White is a decent player , who just happens to be our top goalscorer, but is the scapegoat for many fans.

Fair point. I just thought we might see something from White that he hasn't been able to show at Championship level but we got nothing. The argument for White playing is that he holds the ball up, lays off to midfielders, gets us up the park etc. but he was incapable of keeping the ball under control for long enough to do that. It's clear that Robbo feels he's better in that role than Oakley, and that Austin is a different type of player who can't really play up on his own. It's so depressing thar these are our options up front. 

As for the midfield, Chalmers and Welsh are steady but limited, I don't think their performances change from week to week - Welsh has been one of our better players recently. So all of the creativity has to come from Polly and Walsh and they're not consistent, but I don't think we can expect them to be when they don't have a half-decent forward to play off.

Edited by Caley Stan
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Caley Stan said:

Fair point. I just thought we might see something from White that he hasn't been able to show at Championship level but we got nothing. The argument for White playing is that he holds the ball up, lays off to midfielders, gets us up the park etc. but he was incapable of keeping the ball under control for long enough to do that. It's clear that Robbo feels he's better in that role than Oakley, and that Austin is a different type of player who can't really play up on his own. It's so depressing thar these are our options up front. 

Agreed. None of our three forwards have really given us much to shout about. White has been as poor as the others and wasn't great again yesterday. Not sure why scoring a total of five goals, one more than Austin and Oakley, should give him some kind of higher standing. It's not exactly a prolific return.

That said I agree that the midfield was poor again. It's a concerning pattern. Dominate possession, don't create much of note, don't finish the little we do create.

On the plus side the defence is normally pretty decent...

18 hours ago, Yngwie said:

That’s just 1 win in our last 10 matches. ?

Yes indeed it is, but we also haven't lost a match since the Challenge Cup defeat against Dunfermline way back in August. I'm not going to ignore the issues as there obviously are a few, but I'll remain upbeat in the meantime.

That's probably easier for us to do than for the fans of our Scottish Cup Final opponents, they are also a shadow of the team they were in May 2015. Bottom of the league with no wins and dumped out of the cup conceding 4 goals at Stenhousemuir! That truly is a shocker. Saturday is another important day for us, we really could do with upping the pace and clinically putting Falkirk to bed early. It's an opportunity for a statement of intent as to how the rest of the season will pan out.

8 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

Just a comment on that defeat to Queens Park, I knew their former chairman quite well and he was very complimentary about how well ICT treated the Queens despite losing comprehensively to them. It's not just about winning it's how you behave in defeat a bit like the AB's after losing to Ireland, you can't buy class.

• Like 1

Oops!      Looks like   "Least said, soonest mended"  might apply in  this situation. But when the City comes to town our team must be really professional and put this team and the match to bed quickly and efficiently. A lot of money night be riding on this and a slip up at this point will really leave a sour taste in the mouth .

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

A lot of money night be riding on this and a slip up at this point will really leave a sour taste in the mouth .

Yep, a lucrative money spinning home tie against East Kilbride and an extra couple of bob for reaching the next round from the sponsor :lol::tongueincheek:. And yes, it would indeed leave a sour taste in the mouth should we fail.

• Disagree 1

13 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Youd think we had never struggled with lower league opposition in the cup before!! Stranraer or Stirling Albion anyone? 

RIG and Stan sum it up for me. Not a good day! It was cold and wet and a throughly miserable afternoon.  You could see how disappointed the players were at the end as they and we know we let it slip in the second half when we should have gone for the jugular. 

This always had banana skin potential. Lets hope weve learned a lesson and can finish this off quickly on the 4th. 

PS White's lack of movement around  the ball really starting to annoy me. Then there is Austin who clearly thinks he is better than he is. 

yawn yawn

• Disagree 5

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic