Fans Forum

IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

6 hours ago, CaleyD said:

What did they base that expectation on?

We had been relegated with the highest points total in the SPL. Going into a lower league with weaker teams. It's pretty simple really and most people would have expected us to challenge at the top of the league, which we did.

1 hour ago, Joe DiMaggio said:

We had been relegated with the highest points total in the SPL. Going into a lower league with weaker teams. It's pretty simple really and most people would have expected us to challenge at the top of the league, which we did.

We were only 3 points worse off the last time we got relegated, so why not the same widespread optimism?

47 minutes ago, Stirling Observer said:

Our relegation season saw us with Brewster in charge, we lost a lot of games and looked doomed. Butcher came in and gave us a battling chance and won a few games. I guess the optimism must have rolled over into the next season's ticket sales

We won one of our last five games the first time we got relegated and three of the last four the second time.  Based on what you say, the optimism should have been greater...especially as we'd done it before.

1 hour ago, bughtmaster said:

There was a buzz and shown promise about the Club, Management and Team at that time which no longer exists. Get a winning run soon and that could well return.

Something I feel most people are in agreement with.

What's being discussed is why? What's caused/causing that difference?

We've just demonstrated that even when results have been poor and the consequences potentially dire, the fans still rallied back then.  In fact, it was the catalyst to our rise towards our best ever league performances, a Scottish Cup title and European football.

It's not exactly been apocalyptic since Robbo came in, far from it, but even a 25 game unbeaten league run has failed to generate any real optimism.

Why did fans do that then and not now?

Understanding that might provide some insight into how we go about reversing the current trend.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

Understanding that might provide some insight into how we go about reversing the current trend.

With all the usual caveats of not knowing exact numbers, the club not having limitless resources etc. I often wonder what do we (as in ICT as a whole) do when a supporter decides not to renew their season ticket? A couple of years ago I received a call from the club as I was quite late renewing. I wonder if the club could maybe be more proactive in contacting people who have dropped off the season ticket list? They have their details after all. They could call/email and see why they aren't renewing. if it's a cost thing make them aware of the finance options in place or, if we ever offered it, the alternative of a 10 game flexi ticket option.

I completely agree with the statements in the thread about not everything being the clubs fault. After all we've got fans who won't go to games simply because they have to walk a few yards to a window to buy a ticket before going in which is a laughable excuse not to go to games. However, maybe the club does need to take some time to understand why fans seem to be drifting away. is it a cost issue? Time? Moving away from the area? If the club can get an idea of why fans seem to be losing interest they might be able to tailor what they can offer to retain some of them for the future.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, CaleyD said:

Something I feel most people are in agreement with.

What's being discussed is why? What's caused/causing that difference?

We've just demonstrated that even when results have been poor and the consequences potentially dire, the fans still rallied back then.  In fact, it was the catalyst to our rise towards our best ever league performances, a Scottish Cup title and European football.

It's not exactly been apocalyptic since Robbo came in, far from it, but even a 25 game unbeaten league run has failed to generate any real optimism.

To put it simply there was so much more expectation from those attending matches. Exciting football, exciting players a sense that the Club was going somewhere. Then came the big slump, rubbish football, loss after loss 'till relegation was realised. Since then it has been an aura of harsh criticism of all things ICTFC. A phsychological turnaround of same old same old not going anywlhere. To generalise, which I am never keen on doing, people are impatient nowadays they want instant action or at least the promise of it to see the Club progressing. All this emphasis on being cash strapped low budgets etc etc does more harm than good, nobody likes a loser so dont go looking for or expecting  sympathy or makeing excuses because you will not get it.

Positivity, hard work and continuity of delivering on expectations is the only way aheadif you want to bring in the crowds.  

This crowds are down are a bit of a myth I think. Compare our previous longer than a season stint in the championship/division 1 will show we are doing okay. If we start winning, some more will turn up. If we get promoted next season more again will show up. I'm not interested in these fluid faba.. I'm interested in the younger fans. Get them hooked! The fans forum should be targeted at what the 5-25 years want. They are the future of the club .

On 12/5/2018 at 6:31 PM, Stirling Observer said:

This crowds are down are a bit of a myth I think. Compare our previous longer than a season stint in the championship/division 1 will show we are doing okay. If we start winning, some more will turn up. If we get promoted next season more again will show up. I'm not interested in these fluid faba.. I'm interested in the younger fans. Get them hooked! The fans forum should be targeted at what the 5-25 years want. They are the future of the club .

Crowds are definitely down since we were last relegated but they are slightly up on last year and just about ahead of our last prolonged stay in the division. See below.

Crowds.png

Edited by RiG

Average attendance is a tough figure to use when gauging home support as the visiting fan numbers will be higher in the premiership....and Ross County will be helping the average this season.

The largest factor in our fluctuating average attendance was away crowds...certainly in the last 10 years...however these were partially offset by a slow but steady growth in home support.

From memory, the CEO told us we currently have fewer than 1400 ST holders, although no idea how many of those will be free kids tickets or what the breakdown is.