Inverness Ct -V- Falkirk

Scotty

Rooney and Mckay both need to better for the first two. Ridgers has to come claim the first inside the six yard box and for me has to do better with the second too. Joe Chalmers not street wise enough giving the ball straight back for the quick free kick at the second.

Coll beaten too easily for the 3rd too. Contact begun outside of box for oakley foul so fair decision for me.

I dont buy the lets blame the ref game today we conceded 3 to a side who were over the moon to get a point never mind the 3. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Sean93 said:

Rooney and Mckay both need to better for the first two. Ridgers has to come claim the first inside the six yard box and for me has to do better with the second too. Joe Chalmers not street wise enough giving the ball straight back for the quick free kick at the second.

Coll beaten too easily for the 3rd too. Contact begun outside of box for oakley foul so fair decision for me.

I dont buy the lets blame the ref game today we conceded 3 to a side who were over the moon to get a point never mind the 3. 

Except that's not the rule. It's where the foul ends and as the Falkirk player continued to hold Oakley until he entered the penalty area it should have been a penalty.

28 minutes ago, Sean93 said:

We can't blame the ref but he should be embarrassed picking up his pay cheque for that game!

• Agree 1

For the quickly taken free kick for their second, doesn’t look like the ball had come to a standstill before being struck.

However, it still beggars belief that it ended up a goal a few seconds later.

Edited by Yngwie

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

What makes you think we didn't make an effort to sign Shankland ?

We made a pitiful wage offer that even Ayr were able to beat same as we did with Simon Murray previous season! Our record for front players is shocking no had a good 1 since Storey who we also could've brought in in place of White tho Oakleys got potential tbf!

• Like 1

All the talk of quitting watching, not renewing season tickets after first defeat - we were poor at times but not awful- surely this is the time to get behind the team .Stopping supporting - its a vicious circle- less crowds less income less quality players etc. etc.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Awful defending from Mckay for the first Rudden goal. It's almost as if someone playing as ICT on FIFA suddenly loses their controls connection with the PS4 as he just stops dead and doesn't even bother trying to challenge for the ball. As if that wasn't bad enough Rooney then follows it up by getting distracted by a shiny object in the North Stand and forgets to challenge Rudden for the ball and let him ghost past before finishing well past Ridgers.

:laugh::laugh:

As far as I am concerned Ridgers has been our Player of the Season BUT he fecked up the first two goals and the defence clearly lost concentration and positioning for all three goals. And then Oakley should have netted a hat-trick. Robbo cant give allowances for individual mistakes. We are having a poor season albeit I bet that most of us would have taken our league position and our points tally in pre-season. I recall some positive comments about our squad at the start of the season as well. It is probably as much bad misfortune that we have had more than our share of injuries and some unforeseen losses. It is always a gamble going for the cheaper option of bringing in potential with a history of injuries. I also feel that the "unbeaten run" nonsense was having a negative effect and lets hope that getting the monkey off our back will pay dividends. I would suspect that we had two "goals" at the start of the season - to avoid relegation and to bring back some financial stability. Watching the purse strings and improving is evidently a very difficult task. We have brought in a management team who have been tasked with balancing the finances. That must be both understandable but very frustrating for Robbo. I was disappointed but not surprised that he kept the yoof on the bench yesterday BUT here are my suggested New Year Resolutions. Ditch the "hangers-on" (There must be spondoolachs for OFW ?) - take an increasing risk on blooding some of the Under 18's and look at spending a bit more cash on two journeymen - one with some midfield panache and one with a striking record. 

• Agree 3

We need to ditch the craic about giving up and selling season tickets etc.  Downward spiral then of dwindling crowd, less finances available, better players get enticed away and we can’t afford to replace.....  I missed the game yesterday tbf but I’ve witnessed some sh1te in my time. What else you gonna do on a Saturday?  Boozer? Dingwall? I’ve gone too far.....

Looking out extra layers for Tuesday already!  ICTTID 

Edited by Weekend Hacker
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

when beardy slid behind the line, ball in hand (look at the highlights, black and white, ref shouldve done something)

Get your eyes tested

I don't like hearing the "I'm done" talk...but that's the growing reality and I'm starting to see/hear it from people who would be considered the staunchest of fans.  These are not people having a knee-jerk reaction to a bad game/spell or even a bad season...these are people who feel they are losing their affinity with ICTFC.  How do I know that?  Because I've engaged with them, I've asked them and I feel the same way as them.

If someone is set to walk away then what do they care about the effects of dwindling crowds and finances?...they won't be there, it won't affect them...and they are already feeling like sitting at home on a Saturday (or a Friday, or Tuesday, maybe a Monday and sometimes a Sunday if it's a really big game) is better than the football.  We can dismiss their views, turn on them, tell them they aren't proper fans if they walk away etc...but what good does that do?  These are people right at the end of their tether and it's not going to take much to push a lot of them beyond the point by which they can be brought back.

We are at the stage where it doesn't matter two fecks who broke it, how or why...it only matters that it gets fixed...and asap.

• Agree 5

56 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

Get your eyes tested

Mate, I was right there behind the goal when it happened, the entirety of the North Stand saw it. He goes and makes a low diving save to the left and slides past the post, and behind the back line with ball to his chest, it was a corner every day of the week. We knew it, and so did our players. Just the irony that the match officials are sponsored by Specsavers, yet they can't see what's going on half the time. 

Sorry Jack, so was I and going by the footage he kept the ball in play. You can't tell either way from North Stand. Neither here or there by the way but let's not make up stories, the refs are bad enough without that. In saying that, I thought he did ok within reason. Penalty shouts were contestable.

1 hour ago, CaleyD said:

I don't like hearing the "I'm done" talk...but that's the growing reality and I'm starting to see/hear it from people who would be considered the staunchest of fans.  These are not people having a knee-jerk reaction to a bad game/spell or even a bad season...these are people who feel they are losing their affinity with ICTFC.  How do I know that?  Because I've engaged with them, I've asked them and I feel the same way as them.

If someone is set to walk away then what do they care about the effects of dwindling crowds and finances?...they won't be there, it won't affect them...and they are already feeling like sitting at home on a Saturday (or a Friday, or Tuesday, maybe a Monday and sometimes a Sunday if it's a really big game) is better than the football.  We can dismiss their views, turn on them, tell them they aren't proper fans if they walk away etc...but what good does that do?  These are people right at the end of their tether and it's not going to take much to push a lot of them beyond the point by which they can be brought back.

We are at the stage where it doesn't matter two fecks who broke it, how or why...it only matters that it gets fixed...and asap.

A good number of people had a hand in breaking it and over a number of seasons now.

If it is to be fixed, and I believe it can, it needs a good number of people, from the top down, communicating with each other positively and pulling once more in the same direction whatever their past differences may have been.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, tm4tj said:

Sorry Jack, so was I and going by the footage he kept the ball in play. You can't tell either way from North Stand. Neither here or there by the way but let's not make up stories, the refs are bad enough without that. In saying that, I thought he did ok within reason. Penalty shouts were contestable.

Agreed.  I think the keeper did well to keep it in play.  More importantly, the ref failed to spot the two handed shove in the back on Oakley in the 2nd half.  From the footage it was crystal clear and the referee was pretty close to it.  From my angle in the North stand I saw Oakley go down but couldn't see the push.

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

A good number of people had a hand in breaking it and over a number of seasons now.

If it is to be fixed, and I believe it can, it needs a good number of people, from the top down, communicating with each other positively and pulling once more in the same direction whatever their past differences may have been.

If it is to be fixed, then those responsible for fixing it need to be clear what exactly it is that needs fixing.  It is clear from reading the match threads week in week out that people have hugely different perceptions of what is good and what bad about the team, which players are playing for the shirt and which are not, what formation we should be playing etc etc.  We'll have all sorts of different views about the non footballing aspects of the club too.  Clearly you can't please all the people all the time but if we want to stop long term fans drifting away, the club needs to understand why.

It is therefore very important that folk can feel free to voice their frustrations on platforms such as this without fear of getting attacked by others who hold a different view.  Only by expressing their views can others know what is turning people away from the club.  And only by understanding what is turning people away can the club take measures to try to address those concerns,

• Agree 1

And here was me thinking that the "leavers" were going because of the standard of football on display plus frustration of watching (and paying for) lackadaisical team and individual performances on a regular basis. If "affinity" is said to have been lost then I would suggest that it was never actually (truly)been there in the first instance. This is NOT about the Club-Fan relationship. I basically do not give a feck about that and harping on about it (at every opportunity) is driving people away as well. You don't lose affinity because the pies were cold, you disagreed with the water-sprinkling methods or dust on the seats. Get a team on the pitch that plays for the shirt, shows "true fan" like commitment / application and provides a degree of entertainment. And it is happening at practically every club in the lower leagues. People want success not survival and the more that you have been used to it the more you expect it.

• Agree 1

A grim day in the annals of Inverness Caledonian Thistle,  Doesn't need Einstein to work that out

Basically a blind man on a galloping horse  can see we need a centre forward, We seem to be striking by committee . We were undone against Falkirk, with a guy on loan from Rangers, a message in there for January one would think.

I would strongly agree with those who have said that our unbeaten run has helped mask big problems with the squad - problems that were laid bare for all to see on Saturday.

First there is the defence. We have been unlucky at left-back with Tremarco injured and then Calder (correctly) being punted. McCart looks solid enough defensively but offers no attacking threat at all there. On the other side Rooney is as erratic as QOS fans said he would be. His attacking play has improved and he offers a set-piece threat but lapses like the one that led to Falkirk's second goal are all too frequent. Brad McKay is going through a dreadful spell of form too. Add in a return of the yips for Ridgers in the last two games and you have a backline that are conceding too many cheap goals, all too often when we are on top as well.

At the other end, we've regressed right back to where we were a year ago. The midfield are badly hindered by the lack of pace, movement and holdup play from whoever is playing up front. We seemed to have solved the problem when we got in Austin but he's had a rotten season so far. White (too slow, doesn't win enough against smaller CBs, poor in front of goal) and Oakley (fouls defenders too often, too predictable with his movement) put in typical performances against Falkirk, though at least Oakley got a goal. I think our midfield setup is pretty good but too often Welsh, Walsh, Polworth and Doran got possession in decent areas and didn't have anyone to play the killer ball to - the exception being the opening goal.

Our Plan B is to go 4-4-2, which we did for the second half of this game and against Morton too. But then our midfield play breaks down, we only have Walsh as a natural wide player and Doran is a fish out of water as second striker...but White and Oakley are a dreadful partnership. But what else can you do when you only have two senior outfield players on the bench?

And therein lies the biggest issue of all. Our squad depth is pitiful. Sure, we had four players out injured this weekend but should we really be down to the bare bones. Our failure to augment the team with loan players is bizarre - just look at the impact Zak Rudden and Aidan Keena have had against us in recent weeks. We have signed only one loan player since Robbo came in - Matthew Elsdon. At one point in February I believe we were the only SPFL team (out of 42!) who didn't have a player in on loan.

We can still finish fourth, but to do so we need reinforcements, up front at least.

• Agree 4

58 minutes ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

I would strongly agree with those who have said that our unbeaten run has helped mask big problems with the squad - problems that were laid bare for all to see on Saturday.

First there is the defence. We have been unlucky at left-back with Tremarco injured and then Calder (correctly) being punted. McCart looks solid enough defensively but offers no attacking threat at all there. On the other side Rooney is as erratic as QOS fans said he would be. His attacking play has improved and he offers a set-piece threat but lapses like the one that led to Falkirk's second goal are all too frequent. Brad McKay is going through a dreadful spell of form too. Add in a return of the yips for Ridgers in the last two games and you have a backline that are conceding too many cheap goals, all too often when we are on top as well.

At the other end, we've regressed right back to where we were a year ago. The midfield are badly hindered by the lack of pace, movement and holdup play from whoever is playing up front. We seemed to have solved the problem when we got in Austin but he's had a rotten season so far. White (too slow, doesn't win enough against smaller CBs, poor in front of goal) and Oakley (fouls defenders too often, too predictable with his movement) put in typical performances against Falkirk, though at least Oakley got a goal. I think our midfield setup is pretty good but too often Welsh, Walsh, Polworth and Doran got possession in decent areas and didn't have anyone to play the killer ball to - the exception being the opening goal.

Our Plan B is to go 4-4-2, which we did for the second half of this game and against Morton too. But then our midfield play breaks down, we only have Walsh as a natural wide player and Doran is a fish out of water as second striker...but White and Oakley are a dreadful partnership. But what else can you do when you only have two senior outfield players on the bench?

And therein lies the biggest issue of all. Our squad depth is pitiful. Sure, we had four players out injured this weekend but should we really be down to the bare bones. Our failure to augment the team with loan players is bizarre - just look at the impact Zak Rudden and Aidan Keena have had against us in recent weeks. We have signed only one loan player since Robbo came in - Matthew Elsdon. At one point in February I believe we were the only SPFL team (out of 42!) who didn't have a player in on loan.

We can still finish fourth, but to do so we need reinforcements, up front at least.

Agree with pretty much all of the above, but think the biggest thing we lack is pace throughout our team. Too slow and ponderous, and sadly with Tremarco out the team it is sadly evident we have no leader on the pitch, willing to demand more from the other players

1 hour ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

Seems a fair assessment, and as Broonerz has mentioned we are lacking in pace, Mulraney, Seedorf and Calder have all gone in the past few months and erratic as they were they did provide pace. Likewise in midfield creativity we have lost Vigurs and not replaced him, in theory Beith was his replacement, but he's looking like a permanent sick note (and to think it was not so long ago that we had Christie, Watkins and Tansey). We have got down to bare bones a bit too quickly and the defence does look unbalanced. That said from the highlights we looked decent enough, and whilst there were a lot of draws in the run, that 25 game run is still impressive enough. The lack of a really good striker might be affecting us, but Austin was good enough towards the end of last season, and Oakley seems to be doing alright. I guess we were hoping for a more certain run to promotion and I think that somewhat sways peoples views as to how we are really playing....be interesting if we were to clog Shankland out of the game on Friday for a few matches and see how Ayr get on without their key man!

We just need to stay in contention until January, and hope the board can find some money for a couple of reinforcements

• tm4tj unpinned this topic