Inverness CT -V- Edinburgh City

Scotty

56 minutes ago, quizzer said:

Tremendous third goal, great work from Macgregor and a lovely, unselfish layoff to Doran who had made a fantastic run to finish it off. Roddy looked good throughout his appearance, lively and retained ball well under pressure. 

I hate to say it, but although White got a hattrick, he won't have won all his doubters over tonight. Delighted for him though, hope it gives him a boost to push on and keep the goals coming. How his second went in, goodness only knows. From my viewpoint it looked like it went straight (quite tamely) at the keeper who somehow let it slip thought his hands/legs to trickle in. 

By no means our best performance but a result that we needed and the team kept going to the very end, which was typified by Doran's goal.  We all left pretty happy anyway, which is a nice feeling. 

It was a change going home happy on a very cold night.  With no disrespect to Edinburgh City that is what we should be doing to a part time team!

40 minutes ago, IBM said:

It was a change going home happy on a very cold night.  With no disrespect to Edinburgh City that is what we should be doing to a part time team!

Yes indeed. It wasn't looking too good at 1-1 though when EC had loads of possession and we struggled to get the ball off them. 3 goals in 9 early second half minutes was the best spell in a number of games.

The scoreline rather flattered us but it's a nice scoreline to have.  It'll give the lads a bit of confidence, it allowed the manager to take Polworth off early with Friday in mind and to give both Harper and Macgregor  some game time.  Both did well but Macgregor looks to have that little bit of quality to open up defences. A genuine prospect in my view.

I expected Edinburgh to sit back and look to hit us on the break but instead they came out looking to attack.  That approach led to our first goal, allowing Polworth to set up Walsh for an early opener in similar fashion to Saturday.  The similarities to Saturday kicked in again soon after when poor defending led to big Blair Henderson receiving the ball unmarked on the edge of the 6 yard box.  However, poor defending by Edinburgh meant that it was us who got our noses in front before half time.  There really was little to choose between the sides at half time and it wasn't till we got a bit of a cushion with a well worked third that we began to look comfortable with players and fans alike enjoying the football.  A couple of quick fire, close range efforts from Jordan White completed a welcome hat-trick and ended the game as a contest. At the death, great work from young Macgregor set up  Aaron Doran for a well taken 6th to put the icing on the cake.  There was just time for a brief rendition of that rarely heard football chant "we want seven" before the referee blew the final whistle.

Edinburgh never gave up and worked hard.  They'll be wondering how the margin was so big.  In truth, it looked as though their keeper has not had much practice this season.  I can't see Robbo swooping to sign him in the January window.

Finally a word on Shaun Rooney.  He had a game of two halves - our half and their half.  In our half he continued to show the same defensive vulnerability we have seen on several occasions this season, but once past the half way line he turned into a potent attacking force.  He terrorised their left back and put in several good crosses and runs into the box.  Maybe. like Graeme Shinnie, his future is as a midfield player? 

1 hour ago, tm4tj said:

Much better second half and good to see White get his goals although nobody could have complained had he scored five or six. MacGregor was good when he came on, set up the final goal well. Nice quick feet and will be an asset. Thought Charlie Trafford had a good game as did Donaldson, McCart and White for persisting and getting the goals, but my man of the match was the entertaining Shaun Rooney who did a few old style Rossco manoeuvres down the right wing. Doran and Walsh also looked lively but I'm afraid Polworth was poor and Chalmers looked likely to lose the ball at times.

Nonetheless, a not to be scoffed at 6-1 win and that sets us up nicely for Friday night at Ayr.

Interesting comments.

I couldn't make it as flying up from Gatwick, but BBC credited Polworth with a couple of assists.

I really hope this gels the squad and we build from here.

My only gripe was I predicted 5-1....

Is Welsh injured? Subbed on Saturday and missing tonight.

Big game at Ayr on Friday so hope he is back then.

Not a great first half but the second half was much better and we were efficient and clinical. A bonus to see two of our youngsters come on and make positive contributions. Neither looked out of place in a first team context which bodes well for the future.

Only negative note was the size of the crowd. I know it was a chilly evening but the fact that we got our smallest ever crowd for a home Scottish Cup tie is a concern and is a part of a worrying trend. In fact, in my near fifty years of attending Scottish Cup ties in Inverness involving Thistle, Caley, Clach and ourselves, that is probably the lowest crowd I have been part of.

A win on Friday against Ayr and a few for displays like the second half may start to reverse the fan drain.

7 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

The scoreline rather flattered us but it's a nice scoreline to have.  It'll give the lads a bit of confidence, it allowed the manager to take Polworth off early with Friday in mind and to give both Harper and Macgregor  some game time.  Both did well but Macgregor looks to have that little bit of quality to open up defences. A genuine prospect in my view.

I expected Edinburgh to sit back and look to hit us on the break but instead they came out looking to attack.  That approach led to our first goal, allowing Polworth to set up Walsh for an early opener in similar fashion to Saturday.  The similarities to Saturday kicked in again soon after when poor defending led to big Blair Henderson receiving the ball unmarked on the edge of the 6 yard box.  However, poor defending by Edinburgh meant that it was us who got our noses in front before half time.  There really was little to choose between the sides at half time and it wasn't till we got a bit of a cushion with a well worked third that we began to look comfortable with players and fans alike enjoying the football.  A couple of quick fire, close range efforts from Jordan White completed a welcome hat-trick and ended the game as a contest. At the death, great work from young Macgregor set up  Aaron Doran for a well taken 6th to put the icing on the cake.  There was just time for a brief rendition of that rarely heard football chant "we want seven" before the referee blew the final whistle.

Edinburgh never gave up and worked hard.  They'll be wondering how the margin was so big.  In truth, it looked as though their keeper has not had much practice this season.  I can't see Robbo swooping to sign him in the January window.

Finally a word on Shaun Rooney.  He had a game of two halves - our half and their half.  In our half he continued to show the same defensive vulnerability we have seen on several occasions this season, but once past the half way line he turned into a potent attacking force.  He terrorised their left back and put in several good crosses and runs into the box.  Maybe. like Graeme Shinnie, his future is as a midfield player? 

I thought this on Saturday.

I think we are all very much in agreement Rooney is definately an attacking mid fielder and should be used as such. First half was depressing, second half we started to play  the way we should, forward passing, good wing play and shots on target.

Harper will grow in confidence, MacGregor just needs a few more games and we will be lauding him. Glad to see Doran get the full ninety minutes and his goal ? his performance deserved it. Donaldson is Donaldson almost rock steady, Ridgers back to normal glad to see, White, Keepers beware this man is going to strike fear in you soon, Walsh has goal getting fever now. Polworth a few very valuable touches which we need. Trafford, hard worker and Rooney an old fashioned Winger destined for glory.

Whatever the halftime team talk was it worked. The team is developing. We have a young team and more young players looking to get involved. Robbo is restricted with money - although could we get someone January?  The fans must see the team is a work in progress and get behind them every game ?

9 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Well it was nice to see that result after my other team got stuffed away to our main rivals (Brighton, if your asking). It may only be the Cup and it might only be against a lower league team, but the score-line is enough to get a bit excited. For a guy of seemingly limited ability and mobility White does keep scoring! It's as important to stick the ball in the net against the lowly teams as the better, and is a sign of a decent player IMHO. Walsh is in a purple patch at the mo as well. Have to agree with the comment on Rooney, as a defender I think he below average, but going forward he seems a different player, shame we released Seedorf because I thought he had the makings of a decent RB (but then I would also have kept Bell) Good to hear the youngsters doing well.

Lets hope we can carry a bit of confidence into the game against the might Ayr this week :tongueincheek:  (Just tap Shankland's ankles a few times, just make sure it's not the same player doing it!)

• tm4tj unpinned this topic