Scotty

22 hours ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

The article you speak of is here: https://nareystoepoker.blogspot.com/2018/12/in-defence-of-liam-polworth.html

And you appear to have done your best to misrepresent it.

Anyone reading this can tell that the link to Iniesta is quite obviously tongue-in-cheek. I was comparing how elsewhere skilful players are lauded for what they do, whereas in Polworth's case his good bits (his assist for Walsh's goal, his incredible assists record last season, even that nutmeg of Billy King by his own corner flag) rarely get any praise whereas every mistake he makes comes under the spotlight.

And the 'neanderthal' description was not used as a reference to the MOTM award (though the people sitting around me were not booing the award because it was 'bizarre', because they were making abusive comments about Polworth at the time too). It was a reference at the end of the article to those who abused his family earlier in the year, who slag him off every week regardless of what he does, who are making him a scapegoat for the team's - and the club's - ongoing struggles. And there are too many of them at home games. Frankly, anyone who thinks that booing their own player will actually improve his performance is not very bright.

As for 'just desserts', I'm not sure what that even means?

Put Polworth in a team with a centre-forward who shows any intelligence whatsoever in his off-the-ball movement (we certainly don't have one in our squad currently) and watch him fly. I'm fed up of seeing him driving into the final third with the ball and looking for a killer pass to play, only for his teammates to be tightly marked and either making the same runs they have done all game or just not running at all. And when he is either tackled or tries to force a pass that isn't on it's him who gets the blame every time instead of his attackers.

I've not really made any attempt to do so but if you feel I have then fair enough.  I get that the comparison was tongue in cheek, believe me.  However, my inference of the neanderthal comment was due to the fact that it was not clear - to me - that you were referring to those responsible for the abhorrent chants earlier this season.  For the main, Polly does get stick which may or may not be down to body language and you are quite correct - sometimes I think that he plays the right ball but those around him are not on the same wavelength.  It must be hugely frustrating for him to have to face this at times.  However, at times his performances are perhaps frustrating and as a fee paying fan I'm afraid everyone is entitled to an opinion - I often debate with those around me around Trafford vs Chalmers, White vs Austin etc etc and people see things differently. For me Polly goes between outstanding when he is on to frustrating when he is not and on that basis we will be at odds.  Just deserts was again from my inference that the article seemed to suggest that ICT fans should be careful what they wish for.  Again, my interpretation perhaps...

I was in front of the person in the main stand who shouted abuse at Polly and prompted the reaction.

He was on Polly's back all game, clearly missing the assist and his positive efforts.

It really frustrates me. Polly is our best player but, as others have said, polarises opinion. We'd be much worse off without him: is that what some want?

He is a local boy: will Mackay and others be getting similar treatment in 3 or 4 years? I really hope not!

If we lose him in January, we can say goodbye to any play off hopes.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Robert said:

I was in front of the person in the main stand who shouted abuse at Polly and prompted the reaction.

He was on Polly's back all game, clearly missing the assist and his positive efforts.

It really frustrates me. Polly is our best player but, as others have said, polarises opinion. We'd be much worse off without him: is that what some want?

He is a local boy: will Mackay and others be getting similar treatment in 3 or 4 years? I really hope not!

If we lose him in January, we can say goodbye to any play off hopes.

Indeed, some of our fans really are thick as s**t. 

Edited by Fraz
Autocorrect pish

• tm4tj unpinned, pinned and unpinned this topic