sectarian chants

bdu98196

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/3631391/inverness-caledonian-thistle-sectarian-players-coach-video-chant

Send a strong message and sack them all if the guilty party won't own up. Be doing the club a favour by breaching their contracts with this behaviour and use it as a reason to clear the dross.

Shameful and embarrassing. Truely is a new low we're hitting these days.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, tm4tj said:

Oh dear, grown men on a night out using swear words.

I won't be losing any sleep over it.

Shocking complanency. I can't agree with the OP that they should all be disciplined if the culprit can't be identified.

However, what is complained of is not swearing but sectarian bigotry. While that is sadly still  rife in large swathes of our Country it has no place at all at our club or in the Highlands at all. Would you have been so complacent had it been a racist comment shouted out ? It's not often they I find myself agreeing with Neil Lennon but sectarianism is just as bad. If the culprit can be identified then his contract should be terminated, whoever he is.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

With a player jailed and austin guilty of doing over 100mph on A9 and fighting in our own dugout and other things rumoured you have to wonder where the discipline has gone at the club.  We can't blame that on a lack of money.

• Agree 2

Kingsmills, stick to the story. Why would you suggest that, are you accusing me of being a racist?

My comment is based on the fickleness of the modern pc brigade. I'm not religious therefore the alleged swearing doesn't put me up or down. 

It's not the smartest thing that has been done, but because it has been videos and published somewhere some drunken 'humour has been deemed to be sectarian. There's worse being said at play school.

• Agree 4

Agree no place for it.  We all swear, we must do as we go to the TCS FFS, however I don’t involve the Pope, the Queen, the IRA or the UDA.  

What I find slightly bizarre is that it was Nathan who filmed it and knowing what the reaction would be if it WAS a sectarian chant, went ahead and posted it?  Bright as a blackout.

A firm reprimand if it is correct but the audio for me is not clear enough to be confident it was of a sectarian nature.

For what it’s worth like......

Edited by Weekend Hacker
Re-read...

1 hour ago, tm4tj said:

Kingsmills, stick to the story. Why would you suggest that, are you accusing me of being a racist?

My comment is based on the fickleness of the modern pc brigade. I'm not religious therefore the alleged swearing doesn't put me up or down. 

It's not the smartest thing that has been done, but because it has been videos and published somewhere some drunken 'humour has been deemed to be sectarian. There's worse being said at play school.

Where did I accuse or even imply you of being racist ? I was clear that I equate religious bigotry with racism. I opined that, should one of our players, be established to have shouted a sectarian expression, he should be dealt with severely.

As far as you are concerned, I was and remain of the view, that your attitude to the matter is complacent and too dismissive. I have no problem with drunk men swearing, I do so myself, I do have a problem with offensive sectarian language. We may play in predominantly blue but I have no wish for us adopt the standards of another team that has similar colours.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Truly shocked by the lack of reaction by fans on here and that it's deemed to be a minor issue. Shouting FTP or anything else religious, racial or sexually orientated are not acceptable in modern society. given the club issued a statement to all fans last year about how to act right now it has to act in accordance with that or will loose (more) fans and respect. If a fan will be banned then a player must be too or more.

If as an adult you make decisions to drink and break the law or employer rules then you should be man enough to stand up and take the punishment.

Edited by bdu98196
  • Agree 4

7 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/3631391/inverness-caledonian-thistle-sectarian-players-coach-video-chant

Send a strong message and sack them all if the guilty party won't own up. Be doing the club a favour by breaching their contracts with this behaviour and use it as a reason to clear the dross.

Shameful and embarrassing. Truely is a new low we're hitting these days.

Do you mean sack the whole squad?

14 minutes ago, wynthank15 said:

Do you mean sack the whole squad?

Why not? If the culprit wont own up assume they are all guilty - not going to get a much better chance to clear them out for free haha. But seriously there will clearly be those who are innocent, however the club has to send a strong message this is not acceptable. The naivety of Austin to share is baffling, even more so that he is a minority player so would he feel the same if it was a racist comment?

15 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Why not? If the culprit wont own up assume they are all guilty - not going to get a much better chance to clear them out for free haha. But seriously there will clearly be those who are innocent, however the club has to send a strong message this is not acceptable. The naivety of Austin to share is baffling, even more so that he is a minority player so would he feel the same if it was a racist comment?

So you are seriously suggesting the whole squad be dismissed ( including the innocent) because someone offended the Pope (Inquisition at it's finest)???

• Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, wynthank15 said:

So you are seriously suggesting the whole squad be dismissed ( including the innocent) because someone offended the Pope (Inquisition at it's finest)???

To keep it simple for just you - Yes. Sack them all. Its a tongue in cheek comment - sorry it went over your head. Its making the point the club has to be seen that it will take action and act seriously - we cant let players or fans think this is tolerated at ICT or any other place in Scotland

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

I was clear that I equate religious bigotry with racism.

This is what I don't get - how can we put religious bigotry on the same level as racism?

Religious bigotry is prejudice against people for what they believe.

Racism is prejudice against people for what they are, and is many levels more serious than religious bigotry.

You can change what you believe but you can't change what you are!

And I think the reason for any implied complacency about this matter is that many people in the Highlands just don't get this Catholics vs Protestants thing.

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

To keep it simple for just you - Yes. Sack them all. Its a tongue in cheek comment - sorry it went over your head. Its making the point the club has to be seen that it will take action and act seriously - we cant let players or fans think this is tolerated at ICT or any other place in Scotland

Yes it did go over my head, so why wouldn't the same draconian exercise be undertaken when someone blasphemes the name of God or Christ rather than the Pope? who after all is a mortal man masquerading as the Vicar of Christ on earth.

• Facepalm 1

• Scotty locked this topic