Club Statement

Gregor

300px-Inverness_Caledonian_Thistle.svg.p

On Saturday, footage was shared on social media, showing conduct unbefitting of Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

The club takes this matter incredibly seriously.

Following a full investigation into these events, the Club has taken appropriate disciplinary action and reminded the team of their responsibilities to supporters, the community and the authorities.

The Club will not be making any further comment on this matter. 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Fraz said:

Dunno why this is in a barely readable font but the statement seems fair. 

1 hour ago, Fraz said:

Dunno why this is in a barely readable font but the statement seems fair. 

Copy and paste from twitter sorry

• Agree 1

Taken as seriously as needed. Somebody acting like a clown. Whether truly bigoted or thinking it was humorous,which it most obiviously wasn't! We don't know. However it was extremely stupid. For a teammate to put it on social media, also extremely stupid. The club says it has taken appropriate disciplinary action and reminded the team of their responsibilities. I believe them.

Fan shouts abuse at a game, such as the incidents with Polly - banned. Player does it, there's a tepid statement which takes days to appear, neither condemning the actions or providing a clear message of club position on the topic. The statement doesn't even address what the action taken was for - drunken behaviour, sectarian abuse or otherwise.

This story made the national media and although the player took the content down from social media it is still on the internet via the press - right now the club looks like it has tried to sweep it under the carpet and ICT reputation in Scottish football to other fans is severely damaged. Its e,embarrassing.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

This story made the national media and although the player took the content down from social media it is still on the internet via the press - right now the club looks like it has tried to sweep it under the carpet and ICT reputation in Scottish football to other fans is severely damaged. Its e,embarrassing.

We're all entitled to our own opinions which is the beauty of this forum and I'm not diminishing your thoughts however I seriously doubt our reputation as a club has been severely damaged and it's only embarrassing if you let it bother you too much.

The club took appropriate action where needed and kept it internal, nothing more said and no need to embellish. Completely fine with me.

In fact the whole incident doesn't even bother me that much, if anyone on here would like to come forward and claim to have never done anything stupid in their life then please form a queue beside that rest of us that have because I reckon it'll be non-existent.

The media at their best taking an opportunistic approach to shame someone else in football, see it what it's for, a mistake and move on. If it was happening week in week out and on our own terraces then maybe take a different view but it's not so in my mind there's nothing to see here.

Edited by MrCaleyjag
  • Agree 5

31 minutes ago, MrCaleyjag said:

If it was happening week in week out and on the terraces then maybe take a different view

Why would it be unacceptable on the terraces but not within the club, its only important if its within greater society and not by those who are representatives of an organisation (regardless of public facing or otherwise). The club response on this issue IMO does not suggest a message has been sent out that it will not be tolerated. Looking at the tone of statements circulating around from clubs right now throughout the UK as they try to address various occurrences of abusive behaviour and intolerance, what we have issued is weak and an attempt to avoid the issues head on. Shouldn't matter whether its fans, players, board room or elsewhere.

Poor response from the club. What was the appropriate action taken? why haven't they outlined the club's stance on this?  As had been said fans actions at Brechin and against Polly (Rightly so may I add) were immediately condemned and blasted all over the media and the action against them outlined in detail. Yet another communication fail from the board. Sectarianism is a blight on Scottish football and for the club to respond in such a weak manner does look like they are trying to keep it quiet. If they want the respect of the fans then they need to be more robust. Quite frankly I don't believe their statement.

10 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Why would it be unacceptable on the terraces but not within the club, its only important if its within greater society and not by those who are representatives of an organisation (regardless of public facing or otherwise). The club response on this issue IMO does not suggest a message has been sent out that it will not be tolerated. Looking at the tone of statements circulating around from clubs right now throughout the UK as they try to address various occurrences of abusive behaviour and intolerance, what we have issued is weak and an attempt to avoid the issues head on. Shouldn't matter whether its fans, players, board room or elsewhere.

I'm not looking to start an argument or take this off topic but in no way did imply the above or say anything of that nature. It's what you have implied and also what you have implied from the club statement.

My point was that had it been on the terraces then in my opinion it would be a far bigger problem for the club to deal with and would warrant a stronger public response. I'm not suggesting that what happened is fine, that it should be swept under the carpet or that it doesn't warrant being dealt with but there's a way to do it.

How do you know that the club haven't acted stronger internally, how do you know that the club haven't disciplined those involved, how do you know anything about the matter other than the statement. You cannot say it's a weak attempt by the club to tackle the issue head on unless you know exactly what they have done internally unless of course you do know in which case please share the details with us backing up your information with concrete evidence.

Now internally is probably the best place to focus: in my opinion it should be dealt with internally; less is more and so often organisations get dragged into more problems by embellishing on situations and get embroiled in arguments from all sides. Keep it simple and treat it as an internal matter. 

Let's get it into perspective, if it hadn't appeared on social media no one would have known about it and we wouldn't be having this conversation which is my mind implies we have no sectarian issues at the club and the club have acted proportionally in the public forum to the situation.

4 minutes ago, MrCaleyjag said:

Let's get it into perspective, if it hadn't appeared on social media no one would have known about it and we wouldn't be having this conversation which is my mind implies we have no sectarian issues at the club and the club have acted proportionally in the public forum to the situation.

Point is though that EVERYONE knows about it as its been in the press and the mainstream media. This isn't just some silly post on social media for likes this is a person who is involved in a position significant enough to be at club social events and think its acceptable to shout sectarian abuse of any kind. Just because its happening behind closed doors doesn't make it either acceptable or that it should be tolerated.

We can agree to disagree but the senior members of the club need to have a really deep look at the personalities and characters associated as the catalogue of negative press coming from the club over the last 18 months is highly damaging.

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

It's not acceptable within the club which is why there was an immediate enquiry and "appropriate action" taken and a statement issued to that effect.

Time to move on. There are some important matches coming up and, with any luck at all, some business to be done in the transfer window to hopefully bolster our promotion prospects.

• Agree 4