January signings

IBM

11 minutes ago, MorayJaggie said:

Greg Tansey is a free agent he has been released by the dons. 

another ex player bites the dust. i would have him back on a ticket based on appearances until the end of the season.

1 hour ago, MorayJaggie said:

Greg Tansey is a free agent he has been released by the dons. 

Highly doubt we'd even be able to get him. If he didn't go to the Sheep Shaggers in 2017, he more than likely would've been on the wage cut list with Captain Gaz and Dave the Rave...neither of which we could afford. The only way we could possibly get him is if he's willing to work on a reduced wage, but it'll never be a long term contract.

Not that it's relevant to us now but he's spent much of the last 2 years recovering from hernia and other injuries which he was playing though when with us. So that's Tansey draper and McKay who all left then spent months getting treatment elsewhere. That to me says more about our club than the players.

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Not that it's relevant to us now but he's spent much of the last 2 years recovering from hernia and other injuries which he was playing though when with us. So that's Tansey draper and McKay who all left then spent months getting treatment elsewhere. That to me says more about our club than the players.

I think there's much truth in that statement.

Draper was classed as unfit on arrival at County, McKay had groin issues for some time before he was loaned to us...as for Tansey I suppose his appearance bonus that his agent 'negotiated ' meant he wouldn't want to miss too many games.

It's not all about us.

20 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

Tansey was a great player for us not his fault he got injured I'd have him back in a heartbeat ! Wise move by saints picking him up on a free 

I agree that he was a great player for us, especially in the cup winning season.  Some folks on here have short memories, and cannot see past his performances towards the end of his second spell with us, when he was clearly not fully fit. Nor was he for the year at Dons/County. However I do feel now that he will struggle to get back to his best, so perhaps it is just as well that he has gone to St Midden, not that we could have afforded his wages anyway.

• Agree 1

From P&J this morning

Caley Thistle manager John Robertson says strengthening the attacking areas of his squad is his main priority during this month’s transfer window.

Robertson is determined to add further reinforcements to his squad during January, having already secured former Hearts and Kilmarnock left back Kevin McHattie on a deal until the end of the season.

The Caley Jags boss is now looking further up the field in his efforts to add more depth to his squad, with the Highlanders looking to bounce back from successive defeats against Ross County and Queen of the South when they host second-placed Ayr United on Saturday.

Robertson said: “We managed to work the budget in a way where we’ve still got a wee bit of money left to bring in a player or two if possible.

“We are looking to bring in an attacking midfielder or wide man, and a striker, but they are virtually impossible to get. It’s January – who is going to let a striker scoring a lot of goals go?

“If there is somebody out of favour, that would probably involve a transfer fee which we are not in the position to do.

“January is very difficult to get a lot of business done, unless somebody is getting released from another club or other clubs want players off the wage bill.

You may be lucky – we got Nathan Austin and Coll Donaldson last year under the same circumstances.

“You’ve got to find people who may not fit elsewhere, and see if they fit what we want. We know what we are after.

“We are hopeful of bringing in two, possibly three if we can, and we are still going to look for our younger players to push on.

“We have made a few inquiries about players, possibly on loan, although it’s still increasingly difficult to even get loan players to come up here.”

Robertson, who returned to Caledonian Stadium for a second spell in charge following the club’s relegation from the Premiership 2017, insists he is constantly looking at ways in which he can keep his squad challenging at the top end of the table

Realistic I guess but Not exactly inspiring 

Edited by CableGuy

11 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

From P&J this morning

Caley Thistle manager John Robertson says strengthening the attacking areas of his squad is his main priority during this month’s transfer window.

Robertson is determined to add further reinforcements to his squad during January, having already secured former Hearts and Kilmarnock left back Kevin McHattie on a deal until the end of the season.

The Caley Jags boss is now looking further up the field in his efforts to add more depth to his squad, with the Highlanders looking to bounce back from successive defeats against Ross County and Queen of the South when they host second-placed Ayr United on Saturday.

Robertson said: “We managed to work the budget in a way where we’ve still got a wee bit of money left to bring in a player or two if possible.

“We are looking to bring in an attacking midfielder or wide man, and a striker, but they are virtually impossible to get. It’s January – who is going to let a striker scoring a lot of goals go?

“If there is somebody out of favour, that would probably involve a transfer fee which we are not in the position to do.

“January is very difficult to get a lot of business done, unless somebody is getting released from another club or other clubs want players off the wage bill.

You may be lucky – we got Nathan Austin and Coll Donaldson last year under the same circumstances.

“You’ve got to find people who may not fit elsewhere, and see if they fit what we want. We know what we are after.

“We are hopeful of bringing in two, possibly three if we can, and we are still going to look for our younger players to push on.

“We have made a few inquiries about players, possibly on loan, although it’s still increasingly difficult to even get loan players to come up here.”

Robertson, who returned to Caledonian Stadium for a second spell in charge following the club’s relegation from the Premiership 2017, insists he is constantly looking at ways in which he can keep his squad challenging at the top end of the table

Realistic I guess but Not exactly inspiring 

Encouraging statement but, if there is money available rather than bringing in "one or two" I would prefer it to be spent on one forward of decent quality. Our ongoing issue is a persistent failure to convert chances made.

• Agree 3