January signings

IBM

23 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

Maybe I'm been harsh on the big fella lol but with a slightly more prolific scorer we'd be romping the league!

prolific strikers cost too much so i think we are probably getting very good value for what we are paying.

• Agree 3

43 minutes ago, buckett said:

??

58 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

Put a bit extra and get someone who nos the league makes sense speculate to accumulate obvs give him a chance but really at 25 if you ha White is gash big deal he scores the odd goal 

scores the odd goal you say

10 odd goals in 16 odd starts ? 

White is gash you say 

Your constant comments about White are what’s gash imo ? 

But you keep having your opinion mate as they make me smile ? 

• Like 1

Gregor is definitely not White's father as there's no chance in hell he's has ever had sex.  On that note, it's nice that he and Alan Simpson have something in common.

It's extremely difficult to sign players with a proven scoring record in your division at any time - you have to either pay a transfer fee or get them on a free and therefore offer them significantly better wages than anyone else.  It's especially difficult in January as nobody wants to sell goalscorers and few players are out of contract.  So we have to try and pull a signing out of the hat, from the lower leagues or a player released from higher divisions or something totally left field.  We used to be good at this but in the last few years we've been very poor.

The last player we signed in January who was actually good was probably Alex Fisher, who we then never played when he was fit and got relegated.  He'd been playing abroad before signing for us and was thus available.

1 minute ago, ictchris said:

The last player we signed in January who was actually good was probably Alex Fisher, who we then never played when he was fit and got relegated.  He'd been playing abroad before signing for us and was thus available.

He was released by Torquay wasn't he?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Satan said:

He missed a header against Celtic that was so high and wide it nearly hit me & my lad in the back of the stand. 

Funny what sticks in your mind,eh.

But he got this absolute cracker in injury time...........absolute bliss! :smile:

IMG_20190114_151950_297.JPG

1 hour ago, ictchris said:

It's extremely difficult to sign players with a proven scoring record in your division at any time - you have to either pay a transfer fee or get them on a free and therefore offer them significantly better wages than anyone else.  It's especially difficult in January as nobody wants to sell goalscorers and few players are out of contract.  So we have to try and pull a signing out of the hat, from the lower leagues or a player released from higher divisions or something totally left field.  We used to be good at this but in the last few years we've been very poor.

Just out of interest

What would you and others deem a proven scoring record?

3 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Just out of interest

What would you and others deem a proven scoring record?

Depends on the circumstances really.  If a player was playing for a team who got relegated and scored ten goals then that might be a great return, if he scored ten goals for a team who won the title then that might not be so good.  You also have to look at how effective players are, what you are expecting of them.  For example, Graham Bayne played four seasons for us and scored 6 goals in 32 (6), 2 goals in 8(9), 6 in 29(9) and 1 in 9(17).  Not a great record in terms of percentages but he was a target man, who took in long passes, acted as an outball and worked extremely hard - he was a great player for us.  But 15 goals in 100 odd appearances sounds terrible.  Then you have a guy like Paul Ritchie, who banged in goals all the time but wasn't really someone who worked as hard as Bayne.  If he had a goalscoring record like bayne we'd probably have dropped him because he wouldn't have been doing anything.  Thankfully he never stopped scoring.

The chances of getting a player who can make really positive contributions to your team scoring goals in January are very slim.  We signed Nathan Austin last Jan but he was available because he'd been so injury prone at Falkirk.  That's what you have to do - take chances on players who other teams might not want, for whatever reason.

Edited by ictchris
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Satan said:

He missed a header against Celtic that was so high and wide it nearly hit me & my lad in the back of the stand. 

Funny what sticks in your mind,eh.

pity the poor lad who has to sit at the footie with you ??

• Funny 1
  • Facepalm 1

Its not just about scoring goals its about creating chances. Unfortunately (my opinion) is that unless we have wingers who can get the ball into the box with decent crosses or someone in the middle to play through balls we will struggle.

Our last prolific striker Billy McKay scored goals as he was dynamic and had movement & pace to run onto balls and create his own space.

Others such as Ofere & Fisher were more dominant in the air and physical so would attack cross balls from the likes of Tremarco/Williams/Christie etc

Right now we are struggling to create, so no matter who we sign they will have a hard time getting goals. Personally I think Austin is our most pacy & mobile guy up front which is why him & Oakley worked well at the tail of last season - hence why I think they can do so again. White for all his exploits is too similar to Oakley and lacks the dynamic input.

Right now I don't think another striker or forward is the solution. Either a midfield enforcer (a-la Draper) to allow space and time for Polly or if he leaves Doran (he can play more central) to be the creative spark or find another creative player which given our budget wont be likely.

17 minutes ago, Satan said:

Not at all, right now we are guilty of wasting too many chances...no issues with creating them.

We are creating quite a lot.  In the last 10 games we are averaging over 12 shots at goal a game. I doubt we have had many periods in our history when we have had more.  It 's a reflection of a team that is looking to get forward and play attractive forward.  I accept we have missed a few chances that should have been taken, but in the last 3 games we have had a bit of bad luck.  Fox was MOTM against County and the woodwork came to the aid both of Queens and Ayr.  With a little more luck and confidence/composure in front of goal we could be turning a few more of these chances into goals.  We are not far from being a pretty good side.

• Agree 4

10 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

We are creating quite a lot.  In the last 10 games we are averaging over 12 shots at goal a game. I doubt we have had many periods in our history when we have had more.  It 's a reflection of a team that is looking to get forward and play attractive forward.  I accept we have missed a few chances that should have been taken, but in the last 3 games we have had a bit of bad luck.  Fox was MOTM against County and the woodwork came to the aid both of Queens and Ayr.  With a little more luck and confidence/composure in front of goal we could be turning a few more of these chances into goals.  We are not far from being a pretty good side.

Always seem to be in agreement with you and I am again

18 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

The referee also helped queens not seeing the goal we never got after it hit off the underside of the cross bar and bounced back out after crossing the goal line.

• Agree 1