January signings

IBM

I am old enough to have watched football in the Highlands from the 60's and have seen many a good player throughout the years playing in the Highland League. A lot of players were plucked from the league and went on to play in the top leagues in Scotland and England. Donald Park, Roddy MacDonald, Des Bremner and Les Fridge, to name but a few, were playing for Highland clubs and were scouted by big clubs, so why can we not unearth some quality player playing there now? There must be good players in the HL who would love a chance of furthering their careers and play at a higher level. You can't tell me that they would be any worse than some of the players that were brought here from the JH period onwards. 

29 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

were playing for Highland clubs and were scouted by big clubs, so why can we not unearth some quality player playing there now?

Because we have no money to sign them unfortunately. Its the same reasons we only bring in players cast off from other clubs and are out of work - no compensation and players desperate for clubs. We failed last few years to sign a couple of HL players but couldnt get the compensation monies together.

Plus some HL players with a full or part time job & football money make more than we can offer on a full time footy salary - most folks with family and commitments wont and cant afford take less money even ifs its just a short term gamble as a stepping stone to potential success

11 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I am old enough to have watched football in the Highlands from the 60's and have seen many a good player throughout the years playing in the Highland League. A lot of players were plucked from the league and went on to play in the top leagues in Scotland and England. Donald Park, Roddy MacDonald, Des Bremner and Les Fridge, to name but a few, were playing for Highland clubs and were scouted by big clubs . . . . . . 

Kevin MacDonald, Billy Urquhart . . . .

12 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I am old enough to have watched football in the Highlands from the 60's and have seen many a good player throughout the years playing in the Highland League. A lot of players were plucked from the league and went on to play in the top leagues in Scotland and England. Donald Park, Roddy MacDonald, Des Bremner and Les Fridge, to name but a few, were playing for Highland clubs and were scouted by big clubs, so why can we not unearth some quality player playing there now? There must be good players in the HL who would love a chance of furthering their careers and play at a higher level. You can't tell me that they would be any worse than some of the players that were brought here from the JH period onwards. 

The HL player thing is a bit of a red herring now as the youth setups from us, County & Elgin will have sifted through a huge number of players from a young age , discarding many as not worthy of progression for the level required ( prem/chmp/etc).

So you will have a lot of HL players who were deemed not good enough and are happy with part time football and a career - as someone has said their day jobs may be paying more than we could offer them.

If there are some exceptional HL players out there I'd say there were more attractive destinations on offer apart from ourselves.

We tried to sign Kevin Fraser from Buckie but couldn't afford to pay a transfer fee and they didn't want to give us their captain and best player for free.

Around the same time we were linked with Blair Yule, who signed for Arbroath but went back to the Highland League after a season.  I think that players like this are taking the Rory McAllister option nowadays - if you have a good job then it's likely you'll earn more playing for a Highland League team and working rather than playing solely for a team in the Championship who aren't throwing money about.

And this is something I, and I'm sure others, have said before. The club should be reaching out to those fans to see if they would be willing to discuss why they no longer attend and try and find a solution that could allow them to come to more games. maybe a half season ticket if they can't commit to going every week, or refer them to finance options for spreading the cost of a season ticket. They might not have all the answers but it doesn't seem like there is much going on to try and bring back old attendees to TCS.

Edited by RiG

4 hours ago, RiG said:

And this is something I, and I'm sure others, have said before. The club should be reaching out to those fans to see if they would be willing to discuss why they no longer attend and try and find a solution that could allow them to come to more games. 

A winning team would be an attraction!

Or a team that wins now and again!

• Agree 1