January signings

IBM

Dundee United recruit 11 players in the transfer window to show their intent. We lose one of our strikers, have two of our best players out for weeks Injured, and end up with the same selection problems as before, I think that shows our intent. It's not a criticism, it's just reality,  we are where we are financially. United have just aquired an new American owner and have shown that they mean business in the remainder of the season, they are pushing the boat out for promotion, it may well back fire on them if they don't make it. We on the other hand, have to make a few pounds from a player who would have probably left for nothing in the summer, as most of our players seem to do. As we seem to now be having problems recruiting from the south of Scotland can we not look to the Highland League and identify the best players and keep tabs on them, and try and sign them on pre contract agreements when they are coming to the end of their contracts? Who is our scout? Do we have one or can we afford one?

I hope the board are happy with themselves!!! Just cost us a shot at the play offs by selling a striker without a replacement, how amateurish can they get!!!? 

Its likely now that we will end up with a free agent such as Rory Deacon or Sofien Moussa! 

To say I'm pissed off is an understatement!!! 

5 minutes ago, CaleyTennis said:

I hope the board are happy with themselves!!! Just cost us a shot at the play offs by selling a striker without a replacement, how amateurish can they get!!!? 

Its likely now that we will end up with a free agent such as Rory Deacon or Sofien Moussa

Well Roarie (yes, that's how you spell it) Deacon, or Sofien Moussa  would seem to be free agents, so if they're within the budget, I wouldn't automatically object.  Moussa, in particular, seems okay on his stats.  Do you have any special problem with either of them?

7 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Dundee United recruit 11 players in the transfer window to show their intent. We lose one of our strikers, have two of our best players out for weeks Injured, and end up with the same selection problems as before, I think that shows our intent. It's not a criticism, it's just reality,  we are where we are financially. United have just aquired an new American owner and have shown that they mean business in the remainder of the season, they are pushing the boat out for promotion, it may well back fire on them if they don't make it.

Would imagine so - if rumours are true Sow was on £5k pw & Pawlett £3k at their parent club, add in the likes or Reynolds and while its on paper a strong squad/team and they may not need to pay all that money per player they will all be on a lot more than most clubs in the division are paying anyone. As we have seen over the years plans and spending like this are only sustained for as long as the investor is interested or has funds - otherwise its just a short term gamble that's a step away from administration!!!

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

Its likely now that we will end up with a free agent such as Rory Deacon or Sofien Moussa! 

We are in a play off spot and, with a bit of rub of the green, are perfectly capable of remaining there with the players we have.

Dundee United have eleven new recruits to bed in and find their feet at the club. Our squad might be small but it is settled and tight knit.

• Agree 1

Personally I feared that we would be in a relegation scrap this season and would have accepted a safety position at the off. I have to concede that the Oakley transfer is an odd one but we have added McCauley and McDonald and we have three "big" players to return and I still hope that McGregor and Danny McKay can make an impact.

• Agree 1

Now that we have retained the services of one Liam Polworth, I am quote relieved.  Had we lost him and Oakley I think this may have caused us a real issue.  I make no apology for groaning at a slack pass by Mr Polworth as I do for any other player but perhaps those who have been singling him out for an endless torrent of abuse could now see we need to cut the players some slack - and I include White and Austin in there too. Historically, the 12th man (or woman/ gender neutral etc) has made a difference to any club so might be n idea if we use our powers for good.  Starting tomorrow versus The Jags (the other ones).

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

I doubt we'll get either of them Moussa would be a huge improvement on big G tbh!

4 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Personally I feared that we would be in a relegation scrap this season and would have accepted a safety position at the off. I have to concede that the Oakley transfer is an odd one but we have added McCauley and McDonald and we have three "big" players to return and I still hope that McGregor and Danny McKay can make an impact.

And McHattie....

I think the other two new guys add a bit of pace and mobility to the side

And we still have Polworth...for now

Shame about Oakley going... but if Austin is fit, we need to see more of him on the pitch (and Daniel Mackay)

6 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

We are in a play off spot and, with a bit of rub of the green, are perfectly capable of remaining there with the players we have.

Dundee United have eleven new recruits to bed in and find their feet at the club. Our squad might be small but it is settled and tight knit.

Like Dundee Utd, Falkirk have also brought a lot in and it looks as though they may have splashed a bit of cash in doing so.  Both clubs are also off-loading a lot of players (mostly on loan in Utd's case).  Football is a team game and what good managers do is to get the best out of players in the context of their contribution to the team.

Rather than showing ambition in the transfer window, it strikes me that Dundee Utd and Falkirk are showing a bit of desperation.  If they can meld their new recruits into an effective tight knit unit then it rather begs the question of why they couldn't do it with the players they had previously brought to their respective clubs.  More need for better managers than complete new teams in my view.

Bringing in 5 or 6 like County and Queens have done maybe shows a bit of genuine ambition.  It allows for some targeted strengthening  of the first choice XI whilst giving a bit more depth to the squad.  Ayr and Dunfermline have both brought in 1 new on a permanent contract and 2 on loan and therefore are much on a par with us in their dealings.

On balance, I think our dealings in January have been positive,  Time will tell how successful the different strategies will be.

• Agree 2

You honestly think that allowing Oakley to go and not bringing in more players was our strategy and that we could have somehow done what others have done if we so wished?

36 minutes ago, Buster said:

You honestly think that allowing Oakley to go and not bringing in more players was our strategy and that we could have somehow done what others have done if we so wished?

No. I would imagine our strategy was to hold on to as many of our players as possible and to bring in one or two more than we lost.  That is what has happened.  I doubt it was the specific intention to let Oakley go and nowhere have I remotely suggested it was.  Neither have I remotely suggested that we could have emulated what Dundee Utd or Falkirk have done