Greenock Morton v ICT

The Mantis

3 hours ago, Eagle4Caley said:

PERFECT!

Walsh becoming a goal machine?

Both my sides win away

Happy Christmas everybody!

A stunning result Eagle, good away win for the Canaries too today - wonder if Uncle Roy would let us have Townsend on loan in January? ?

What is it with missing penalties score that and we are comfortable especially when we get the second early second half 3-0 and it game over need to sort out the penalties and soon otherwise like earlier in the season they will come back to bite us - never the less a good result and a welcome 3pts

I actually enjoyed that, particularly some of the attacking play in the first half. Walsh, Polworth and Oakley combined really well for the goal and continued to do so as we pushed hard for a second. The game should've been done by half-time but while Welsh sent the keeper the wrong way and struck the ball well, it hammered off the post. It was one of the better penalties we've seen over the past couple of years and I hope he continues to take them. Oakley caused havoc from the off but the ref didn't seem to like the fact that he gives as good as he gets and he was harshly booked. I'm finally convinced that Oakley is our best option up front (despite his glaring limitations) and I think Robbo is too. Unless he picked up a knock, he was hooked to avoid a red and if he's fit I expect he'll start next week.

We picked up where we left off after the break with pressure on the Morton goal and were quickly rewarded when Doran glanced home from a corner. It looked like we were going to coast home from there until Johansson made up double change on the hour mark. The boy Tiffoney was clearly told to run into the space between Rooney and McKay (how many goals have we conceded from down that channel this season?) and he had a couple of goes at it before the cracking run and finish for the goal. Ridgers might've been slow down to it but he redeemed himself later in the game with a trademark claw from a close range header. Robbo responded to the Morton goal by bringing on Trafford for Doran and and going to a 4-4-1-1 with Polly pushed up behind White. This did not go well - Trafford is a bombscare and our midfield 4 retreated, allowing for a spell of very uncomfortable Morton pressure. The next change saw MacGregor come on for Welsh to take Polly's position  behind White - that looked a really weird one at the time but the young boy's running helped see us over the line fairly comfortably as we sclaffed everything forward into space in the final minutes, preventing any sniff of a late Morton push. 

While it was a shame to see us reduced to that after such a composed first half performance, I suppose it was at least another demonstration of the great spirit that this side posseses. And it was a crucial 3 points that give us a wee cushion in 4th place - I'd be delighted with that come May. 

A word for Cappielow, a delicious relic full of really sound folk. Always a great welcome for the kids (who paid £1 each) and a wide range a well priced sweets. Not complaining about the leg-room, but I'd love to get my feet on that terracing someday. 

Edited by Caley Stan
  • Agree 5

Caley Stan has summed it up perfectly. Morton looked devoid of any confidence from the start and resigned to defeat after they went down to 10. We should have gone for the kill but took the foot of the gas and began to panick as Morton made the changes and came at us. Made a meal of it basically but held on for a crucial 3points. Thought Ridgers, McCart, Walsh and Oakley did well. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Weekend Hacker said:

Great to get a win under the belts.  Magnificent if we could give the gadgies a right pumping next week ?

I'd happily settle for a scrappy one goal win with the goal deflected in off Ross Draper's arse.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

Hopefully we ca get going now

Promotion is  anyone's guess dependant on your optimism quotient -  but   and County   the two United's  will  take some catching   

Edited by Laurence

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:05 PM, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Aye but winning at Greenock is considerably more difficult than the feckin Etihad :whistle:

Last time I looked Chorley topped their league you must be chuffed John ?

The next three games could set the tone for the season: we have the top two and also Queen of the South, out closest challenger for a play off place.

We are unbeaten in 8 away games this season, with four wins, so need not fear County.

Where we need to improve is at home, with only one win in nine to date. That is holding  us back.

There is little between all the teams. When we play is fast we are as good, or better, than anyone, we just don't do it often enough.

We have raised our game in the two games with County so far, and been as good as them. I really hope we can come away with three points on Saturday.

Soubds like the first goal yesterday was well crafted by Oakley and Polworth bEfore Walsh finished it. More of the same, please!

• Agree 1

Spot on Robert it's no use playing for half a game like we have done in most games this season we need to 'play fast' as you say for the full 90 minutes starting on Saturday and it's 3 points in the bag! 

• Agree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic