Sign in to follow this  
Scarlet Pimple

Owain F Williams--he should try the Vancouver Whitecaps

Recommended Posts

The Vancouver Whitecaps (Canada)  are in  turmoil right now due to their sacking of their Manager--an Englishman.-- who has been there for at least 3-4 years.

Anyway, if OFW needs a new club he could do a lot worse. It's a beautiful place to live and  their fan base is massive (upwards of 100,000) in a growing sport and they have had quite a lot of past success. What also matters is that they appear to have the money to pay him a very good wage.

This transfer would also reduce ICT's wage bill  and if the Whitecaps need a spare goalie then the transfer fee would be good for the ICT bottom line as well.

Hope someone suggests this to him?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is not out of contract in Jan anyway? If not are you gonna position at VWC to offer a contract or on their board - If not how does the post help other than start a thread where folks can bash at OFW for seeing out the legally binding contract the club gave him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite sure what you mean BDU. But my thoughts are running along the lines that the Vancouver Whitecaps new management might  have difficulty in finding good players at the drop of a hat  and might wish for players with at least NASL experience since a new Manager has his or her hands full right from the word go.

Also I would expect that they would be  quite prepared to buy out any residual  contract affecting ICT' so that our Inverness team will not suffer. Having seen the films of roaring fans in their thousands I doubt that that club is running on monetary fumes!

Have I answered your rather deprecatory  and cynical thoughts now? Frankly I really don't give a hoot for the Vancouver team  but thought an opportunity might be there for both OFW and Caley Thistle to benefit.

Now, you have  a merry Christmas tomorrow, BDU,  and also New Year when it arrives. And the same to all loyal ICT fans and friends.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Not quite sure what you mean BDU. But my thoughts are running along the lines that the Vancouver Whitecaps new management might  have difficulty in finding good players at the drop of a hat  and might wish for players with at least NASL experience since a new Manager has his or her hands full right from the word go.

Also I would expect that they would be  quite prepared to buy out any residual  contract affecting ICT' so that our Inverness team will not suffer. Having seen the films of roaring fans in their thousands I doubt that that club is running on monetary fumes!

Have I answered your rather deprecatory  and cynical thoughts now? Frankly I really don't give a hoot for the Vancouver team  but thought an opportunity might be there for both OFW and Caley Thistle to benefit.

Now, you have  a merry Christmas tomorrow, BDU,  and also New Year when it arrives. And the same to all loyal ICT fans and friends.

Scarlet

In my opinion, OFW would be unlikely to get an MLS contract for several reasons. This is a salary cap league so there is that factor. Regardless of the resources available at VWFC this year after the sale of Alphonso Davies they simply cant pay him whatever they want unless they use GAM, TAM or make him a DP and are not going to do that. They would also have to use an international spot on the squad and thats not typically used on goalkeepers as there are a ton of good domestic keepers in USA/Canada. 

More likely that he would seek employment in USL or the new CPL if that was his wish but the pay range in both is likely less than he is on. Good luck to him wherever he ends up, but i dont think its likely to be at ICT or VWFC !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Scotty

I am not a devotee  of North American football since I live at least 45 odd miles away from the Vancouver Whitecaps stadium, having moved out of the Vancouver area and going Eastwards because the house prices in the city were getting utterly ridiculous. Joined by many others of course. But  that's very interesting so thank you and we shall see what transpires.

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say I am not sure .... MLS is the top league then its USL (equiv to championship). As of next year, the USL in Canada is replaced by the Canadian Premier League and then below that for both countries is NASL (equivalent to lower divisions I guess).

I know that USL has a limit on international slots just like MLS and the new CPL also has a domestic requirement that teams have to hit but not sure if either have any DP or other rules. I would guess not given the salaries are far lower than MLS. As for NASL I know very little ! Might know more during 2019 as I am hoping to take the little guy to see York9 FC a few times. ITs closer to my house and easier to get to than TFC .... although I wont be missing any TFC games though ! 

In Toronto this will mean the hierarchy would be 

  • MLS = Toronto FC
  • CPL (USL) = York9 or Hamilton Forge
  • NASL = Toronto FC II

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I highly doubt Fonners is going to be in the MLS, unless he is part of a team that gets promoted into the MLS. But in all honesty, the only leagues I can see him playing in are the USL or maybe one of the bottom two leagues of the EFL. We certainly can't afford to keep him up north, as he probably has the highest wages in the entire squad. It's either going to be a permanent or a loan move back across the Atlantic, just not to Vancouver...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

I highly doubt Fonners is going to be in the MLS, unless he is part of a team that gets promoted into the MLS. But in all honesty, the only leagues I can see him playing in are the USL or maybe one of the bottom two leagues of the EFL. We certainly can't afford to keep him up north, as he probably has the highest wages in the entire squad. It's either going to be a permanent or a loan move back across the Atlantic, just not to Vancouver...

He is here till the summer unless he is wanted by another team whither we can afford him or not. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In  that case J.R. should ensure that he gets a game or two. Otherwise he won't be any good to himself in the long run and if our current main goalie gets  injured then who would we be able to count on?

Dunno !!     I'm only an "out-of-touch" Canuck. Smile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

In  that case J.R. should ensure that he gets a game or two. Otherwise he won't be any good to himself in the long run and if our current main goalie gets  injured then who would we be able to count on?

Dunno !!     I'm only an "out-of-touch" Canuck. Smile.

Is one of the problems not that he has a huge appearance fee in his contract?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know what Owain Fon Williams is doing now ?. As far as i can see his loan contract ran out at the end of November. He is still contracted to ICT until May 31st next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dan Clark said:

Does anyone know what Owain Fon Williams is doing now ?. As far as i can see his loan contract ran out at the end of November. He is still contracted to ICT until May 31st next year.

I would assume he is back at training with the club as he is still contracted until the end of this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comments noted IHE. Somewhat nasty are they not?

Ever thought of contacting  a member quietly and off-site to discuss your challenges? You are a smart guy and knowledgeable but getting in too deep with sarcasm and rudeness will not serve you well. Over and out, Biggles.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scarlet, I don't think that remark was directed at you. More likely at the subject of the thread, with a touch of irony characteristic of that particular poster!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem Buckett.  It takes all kinds to make a world.  Without the darkness you would not be able to see the bright light and what it shows up.

What I do remember about the Whitecaps was once when Willie Miller ran almost the length  of the pitch to score a great goal and that was a real highlight for me.

Cheers! And a very happy and productive New Year to you and yours.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at IHE's remark again and I think you are right about the target of his thoughts. So relieved 'cos I like the grumpy old sod, I really do. :tongue: 

Our promotion Bucket? Well you just never know. I see Celtic are slipping and the Rangers gave them a pasting lately. Good , A bit of humility from Celtic's officials  would be encouraging.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • FB_caley_thisle_online_970x90.jpg

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.