Shares on The UP """"""""""""

Laurence

The Dow Jones today  topped 1000 points daily rise. For the first time ever

Driven by a surge in the oil price.  Get ready to pay more for your fuel folks ?

Dow Jones Industrial Average

DOW · 26 December, 16:07 EST

▲ 1,086.25 (4.98%)

22298.09 13:40 Vol: 2.5M

I have shares in Galliford try plc  up nearly 9%  London is doing quite nicely

Galliford Try PLC

1. Share
  3. Print
  4. feedback
London: GFRD · 28 December, 18:28 BST
50.50 (8.76%)

Dow is

Dropping quite a bit. this is usual after a big rise known as profit taking  - Also many brokers on holiday - See if it is sustainable next week ?

USA 30 YM

23037 -0.49%

High: 23369 Low: 22955

USA 30 Futures CFD, based on Dow Jones futures. The Dow Jones Industrial Average tracks 30 US blue-chip companies. Yahoo! Finance

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Galiford try

15.50 (2.19%)

Gaiford try if you don't know  Built  and own,  but  let back to the  occupiers of  the  new building for the University of the Highlands in Inverness

Sorry I really don't think these fund managers are to be relied on  but still they make a lot of money.?

Dow today is 25280

Galliford holing firm at 717 slight drop yesterday

Edited by Laurence
update

Thanks for your interest

I got them in  around 2000 a broker came into my book shop and   he  said to buy them . I paid about a £1000  and them  I bought some more. later on  when they had a share issue.They went up to arpund £10,000 . When the  crash came they dropped right down.  I bought some more  about a year ago with another share issue offer came . I just pick up the dividend  twice a year, which is very good compared with interest rates you get  at the bank. I really have no intention of selling them.  I am 76 this year so unless I go broke they will be left to my kids.

They are just a good source of income for me.  good solid company that does very well, builds schools and hospitals and the like. 

Well said DD very profound. I would not have the temerity to advise anybody . My wife is over 50 she gives me advice I have to take note of?

Dow trading at 25170

Galliford trading at 7.05   Market  down  slightly

Edited by Laurence

• 2 months later...

Ok  but the dividends are high

Today I was devastated by the news from Paris - As a retired Fire Fighter  and a Fire Safety Officer I cannot believe how  so many important buildings in these Islands and abroad are allowed to be destroyed by fire.  I spent virtually my whole adult life , telling people to watch carefully contractors , and  other builders.

With buildings as important as the " School of Art ", or "Norte Dame,* it is imperative that buildings are checked , every night by trained security guards or others. I remember well the Bradford City disaster which unlike Hillsborough has never been investigated, I.  have read reports of combustible litter under the floor boards of the main stand, but nobody has been held to book for doing nothing about it. 

I am so cross I couldn't give a dam if my shares fall to zero. Sorry for the rant folks.

And the digression from the topic

1 hour ago, Laurence said:

Ok  but the dividends are high

Today I was devastated by the news from Paris - As a retired Fire Fighter  and a Fire Safety Officer I cannot believe how  so many important buildings in these Islands and abroad are allowed to be destroyed by fire.  I spent virtually my whole adult life , telling people to watch carefully contractors , and  other builders.

With buildings as important as the " School of Art ", or "Norte Dame,* it is imperative that buildings are checked , every night by trained security guards or others. I remember well the Bradford City disaster which unlike Hillsborough has never been investigated, I.  have read reports of combustible litter under the floor boards of the main stand, but nobody has been held to book for doing nothing about it. 

I am so cross I couldn't give a dam if my shares fall to zero. Sorry for the rant folks.

And the digression from the topic

Laurence, you are talking nonsense. The Popplewell Enquiry sat for weeks hearing evidence about the Valley Parade disaster.

As a direct consequence, many safety features were made compulsory including banning the construction of any new wooden stands, restricting the capacity and increasing the number of emergency exits in existing ones. Prohibiting smoking long before the general ban in public places,  obliging clubs to do regular fire safety checks and to have a written plan for evacuation in the event of fire.

The recommendations of the very thorough and comprehensive enquiry were implemented quickly and in full. There has not been a death or significant injury as a result of fire at any sporting venue in the United kingdom since.

Following a vicious attack on my credibility

I forward the documents to back up my observations

I will refrain from a personal attack  on Kingsmills but I am solely tempted. but hiding behind a nom de plume is not my scene

004.thumb.jpg.7e431c9ae30269fbfd22f269216c4f9b.jpg

1870604335_promotion001.thumb.jpg.f8ea304ae8791d93935fde3c2fe25576.jpg

006.jpg

Laurence, Kingsmills was in no way attacking your credibility.

He was pointing out that, contrary to your statement that the Bradford City fire had never been investigated, that had in fact been done by the Popplewell Inquiry.

You may well have critical views on that inquiry - many people do - but you can't wipe it from history!

15 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Laurence, Kingsmills was in no way attacking your credibility.

He was pointing out that, contrary to your statement that the Bradford City fire had never been investigated, that had in fact been done by the Popplewell Inquiry.

You may well have critical views on that inquiry - many people do - but you can't wipe it from history!

A number of survivors and relatives of the dead have criticised the enquiry for not attributing or apportioning blame.

I can sympathise with them but that was never the remit of the enquiry. The remit was to investigate the causes of the fire and to recommend measures to prevent a similar catastrophe in the future which it did very comprehensively.

As for Laurence's 'suspicion' that there was a build up of combustible material under the floorboards of the stand, that was confirmed by the enquiry.

If Laurence is interested, he can obtain a full copy of the report from HMSO.

Edited by Kingsmills