Scotty

7 minutes ago, MuirtownJaggy said:

The aim of football is to score at least one or more goals than your opponents!!!!! It is the final part ( scoring) that has been and continues to be our issue. Lots of effort and enthusiasm from defence to midfield will not win games........ scoring ...... regardless of how, creates results ?

Can’t disagree.  Possession and heart very encouraging, but get the ball in the net.  Graham is a dirty bar steward,his intent was clear from the minute the ball was played but tbf to Dallas had the red out immediately so no real need to get a man sent off.  But nice to see a scrap at a derby too....??. Great atmosphere, great game just a ***** result.  

• Agree 1

Thanks for explaining ?

It doesn't matter how they're scored but playing a 5 man attack doesn't mean more goals. Tactics have always been important. A more natural attacking mid/forward would mean more goals than a poacher in a 4-2-3-1 system.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Bronson said:

To be fair, I thought we played outstanding today. We dominated county, particularly in the second half. The fact their keeper got mom says it all. White's goal looked like a great finish and I thought he played with  heart and passion and did his best to lift the crowd too. Any other day we would have scored 3 or 4. Had the finishing been better it could have been 5 or 6.

Plenty of passion on display throughout the team. Think Rooney could face further trouble though. Looked like several  punches were thrown. And more than 2 could have been sent off. 

Except, it wouldn't.

On any other day we would likely have done what we did today, and have done so many other times this season, by not taking our chances.

What's happening is not down to bad luck or not getting the rub.  The team are simply not good enough.

Sounds like a good game, which Caley were well in, Oakley missing was a dissappointment, let's hope his injury is not too serious or absence lengthy. Hadn't realised that Whie's goal was his first (in the league) in 2months. Rooney getting sent off will hurt us more than the County guy hurt his team, given our paucity of resources, although Tremarco is back so I guess everyone in the backline shuffles sideways in the next game (or three?). Slightly confused by Robbo's claim of a one-sided game on ICT's side when BBC showing us having less possession (47%) with 12 shots to County's 7...was it thus? (my other side had 62% possession and 31 shots to 9 in a nil-nil draw on Boxing Day!).

Automatic promotion looking a bit tricky at the mo!

Really pissed off with that result!  I thought we were the better team, County robbed us big style, but no matter how good we are it's scoring goals that win games.

This is unfortunatley the story if our season with missed chances caused by poor finishing and an alarming knack of shooting ourselves in the foot on a regular basis.

Draper today had Polly in his pocket, Doran failed to ignite our attack and only Walsh looked creative but his final ball was quite often lacking composure.

White managed to get us level but was guilty ( again) of poor ball control and missing a couple of chances that he should have put away.

Next week is a crunch game and if we have any desire of reaching the top 4 we will need to win, a draw is fecking useless.

• Agree 2

We gave that game today by not making subs until it was to late!  as the cat said they should have taken Doran off with 20 minutes to go and put on Macgreggor or Mackay who would have run rings round the County defence!  Can't blame the players for that apart from Rooney being stupid getting involved when he didn't need to.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle manager John Robertson: "I'm still numb. That's one of the most one-sided derbies I've ever been involved in. From the moment they got their goal we dominated the game.

"We destroyed them in terms of passing the ball and moving the ball. I would be gutted to come away with a point but to come away with nothing is just incredible. It's a big lesson learned."

I hope he has learned his lesson!

Edited by IBM

2 minutes ago, IBM said:

We gave threw that game today by not making subs until it was to late!  as the cat said they should have taken Doran off with 20 minutes to go and put on Macgreggor or Mackay who would have run rings round the County defence!  Can't blame the players for that apart from Rooney being stupid getting involved when he didn't need to.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle manager John Robertson: "I'm still numb. That's one of the most one-sided derbies I've ever been involved in. From the moment they got their goal we dominated the game.

"We destroyed them in terms of passing the ball and moving the ball. I would be gutted to come away with a point but to come away with nothing is just incredible. It's a big lesson learned."

I hope he has learned his lesson!

Robbo been smoking crack sideways passes don't win games same as every game iv seen this season fair bit of the ball to little with it and when we do get an opening the strikers miss it surely the wee fella should've learnt that lesson months ago! Get a striker in Robbo still in with a shout of the play offs!

42 minutes ago, caley100 said:

Really pissed off with that result!  I thought we were the better team, County robbed us big style, but no matter how good we are it's scoring goals that win games.

This is unfortunatley the story if our season with missed chances caused by poor finishing and an alarming knack of shooting ourselves in the foot on a regular basis.

Draper today had Polly in his pocket, Doran failed to ignite our attack and only Walsh looked creative but his final ball was quite often lacking composure.

White managed to get us level but was guilty ( again) of poor ball control and missing a couple of chances that he should have put away.

Next week is a crunch game and if we have any desire of reaching the top 4 we will need to win, a draw is fecking useless.

Walsh lacked composure? He was stand out for me ? and IMHO he terrorised their defence.  I thought Draper was poor.  But hey, that’s football, we all see things differently.  Fact remains we dominated and came away defeated.  If we could recreate the atmosphere from today at home, wouldn’t it be tremendous ?

• Agree 3

44 minutes ago, Weekend Hacker said:

Walsh lacked composure? He was stand out for me ? and IMHO he terrorised their defence.  I thought Draper was poor.  But hey, that’s football, we all see things differently.  Fact remains we dominated and came away defeated.  If we could recreate the atmosphere from today at home, wouldn’t it be tremendous ?

If you read my post i said his final ball lacked composure....       too often he slung a ball straight into fox's hands, or when he should have turned inside his man and invited a tackle which could have resulted in a pen!

Draper did his job very well, which perhaps you didn't notice but Polworth was very quiet today.

OOPS ! Well that is disappointing. 

Not yet seen the video but it sounds as if there may be a lack of an ability to direct the ball accurately and near misses don't count I'm afraid. I was just reviewing Mantis's  video of the Morton match and that's also  the fact --too many reasonable chances over the bar or just plain not on target. The boys seem to be playing very well but truly the finishing needs a lot more work. e,.g Why so many balls too high and/or  over the bar or, whether left or right,  missed the goal completely. Maybe instilling a little more composure might work?

I don't think it can be solely Robbo's fault  but he should be making the boys practice shots on goal, definitely.  And then practice  ...and practice...…

• Agree 1

I really don't know how we lost that.

We recovered from going behind, and were the better team for the last hour.

I can't fault the players for effort, and we came very close a couple of times, particularly through Walsh and McCart. 

I thought Walsh had an excellent game, closely followed by Polworth, Rooney and McCart, but all 11 played their part in what easily could have been a win.

I don't agree about the substitutions. We were well on top, so not changing it was the right thing. That changed with the County goal.

County fans I spoke to afterwards couldn't believe their luck.

A disappointing end, but if we can maintain that effort and keep trying to play forward quickly, there is no reason why we cannot at least cement fourth place. Next week's game could be pivotal as it can let us pull clear a bit.

I thought the ref lost control a bit when the smaller bust up took place in the first half between Donaldson and Lindsay, so no real surprise if all kicked off late on. Until I saw the photo above, I'd no idea Roooney was involved, but as half the players were, perhaps surprising there were only two reds.

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 3

We were the better team except where it came to the all important aspect of taking our chances. A regular theme and, unless we somehow manage to secure the services of a more clinical striker in the January window, is one likely to cost us our chances of promotion.

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Satan said:

We've been the better team every time we played them,  yet they sit top of the table. Hopefully we can apply ourselves equally well against the other 8 teams in the division. Do that and we can maintain our play off aspirations.

I agree. We seem to save our best displays for County. If we can become consistent and play for 90 minutes every week it will make a big difference.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert said:

I really don't know how we lost that.

We recovered from going behind, and were the better team for the last hour.

I can't fault the players for effort, and we came very close a couple of times, particularly through Walsh and McCart. 

I thought Walsh had an excellent game, closely followed by Polworth, Rooney and McCart, but all 11 played their part in what easily could have been a win.

I don't agree about the substitutions. We were well on top, so not changing it was the right thing. That changed with the County goal.

County fans I spoke to afterwards couldn't believe their luck.

A disappointing end, but if we can maintain that effort and keep trying to play forward quickly, there is no reason why we cannot at least cement fourth place. Next week's game could be pivotal as it can let us pull clear a bit.

I thought the ref lost control a bit when the smaller bust up took place in the first half between Donaldson and Lindsay, so no real surprise if all kicked off late on. Until I saw the photo above, I'd no idea Roooney was involved, but as half the players were, perhaps surprising there were only two reds.

They scored 1 goal more than us !!

As said so many times this season, our lack of finishing was our undoing again. Then County did a Dick Turpin on us to steal the three points they didn't deserve. Subs should have been on earlier to give fresh legs. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

We were the better team except where it came to the all important aspect of taking our chances. A regular theme and, unless we somehow manage to secure the services of a more clinical striker in the January window, is one likely to cost us our chances of promotion.

Well White has scored 7 goals in his last 7 starts 

Dont think Ronaldo or Messi fancy Inverness 

Is it not time to cut the bigman some slack and get behind him

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, cif73 said:

Ok ... so I can see what Graham did to get his red ... but what did Rooney do to get his red? Are victims punished these days too? 

Screenshot_20181229-205805_Facebook.jpg

Rooney returned the punch (like anyone would do, you can't shrug off a punch to the jaw), but in all honesty, I can see why punches were flying. Everyone was worked up because of the shambolic refereeing of Andy Dallas, but hell, it definitely added some electricity to the game ?.

Hopefully we have a decent ref who can actually see fouls in the return derby in March.

But we need a team that can actually score, we're 100% the more dominant team in possession, cos literally any time I saw us on the ball, the County players were climbing on top of who ever was on possession, just to get the ball. But as stated earlier in this thread, possession does not win games. One thing that does need to be worked on in training, is heading, each and every single corner or cross that was put in (at the away section of the dump) was put in the exact same place above the bar, even though we got the ball first, we need to work on target practice for it.

Seriously though, we really need to get a grip, I really can't see this club surviving in the Championship for much longer, our attendances are pure dire compared to previous second tier seasons, and the amount of away fans coming north, we don't even need to open their stand, as there is almost literally a minibus full of them, which certainly does not help ticket sales. If we want to get the chance of Premiership football again, we need to start working the players to score goals and hold a lead. Constant draws don't win promotion spots.

Edited by Jack Waddington
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, caley100 said:

If you read my post i said his final ball lacked composure....       too often he slung a ball straight into fox's hands, or when he should have turned inside his man and invited a tackle which could have resulted in a pen!

Draper did his job very well, which perhaps you didn't notice but Polworth was very quiet today.

I don’t feel he lacked composure in any facet of his play tbf but there we are.  I agree Polly was quiet but not convinced that was down to him being controlled by Draper.  It’s like yesterday though, boys round me moaning for Jordan to be hooked after he scored so as I said everyone sees differently.  ?

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic