Skipinnish

The Mantis

Saw them for the first time at Galashiels in December. Terrific night, Mrs Mantis even stayed till the end instead of asking for the car keys so she could go and read her book. I see they’re playing at the Bught on my birthday in July.

They’ve got a 20th anniversary concert at the Usher Hall in May so I suppose they qualify as ‘Classic’ ?

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 8/27/2022 at 10:13 PM, Robert said:

Everyone’s taste differs but I’d put Skerryvore and Tide Lines ahead of Skipinnish. That’s not to say they are not worth going to. 

I am with you there Robert, I always get Skerryvore and Skipinnish mixed up :lol: 

• 7 months later...
On 8/28/2022 at 11:09 PM, IBM said:

You would have to have a good few :drinking06:before going to see them!

Hoping to see them in Shetland at the tall ships. They’re appearing near us at North Berwick in August but I’ll be halfway down the A9 at the time. 

On 8/27/2022 at 10:13 PM, Robert said:

Everyone’s taste differs but I’d put Skerryvore and Tide Lines ahead of Skipinnish. That’s not to say they are not worth going to. 

Looks like an evening on Spotify checking these two out. Tide Lines are new to me. 

7 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Skipinnish are great live Gringo if you were up when they are playing. Others seem to love Tidelines 

A good friend of mine has seen them twice. 

• 6 months later...
On 4/11/2023 at 11:15 AM, old caley girl said:

Skipinnish are great live Gringo if you were up when they are playing. Others seem to love Tidelines 

The lead singer in Tide Lines, Robert Robertson, was the singer in Skipinnish until he and another band member set up Tide Lines in 2018. Skipinnish are now fronted by the singer who used to be in Manran.

Robertson was co-writer of Walking on the Waves, the track that probably put Skipinnish on the map, and it is now in the repertoire of both bands.

Tide Lines are in their third album and I’d recommend seeing them live if you get a chance if you like good going music with a Scottish twist and a bit of banter. They’ve some exotic locations in the pipeline:

https://www.tidelinesband.com/pages/shows

Edited by Robert
  • Thank You 1

I see Skipinnish are coming to Bught Park on July 6th 2024. According to the web site it's £153 a ticket!!! That can't be right surely? Last time I saw a band at the Bught Park it was Runrig back in the early 90's.

On 4/8/2023 at 2:09 PM, The Mantis said:

Hoping to see them in Shetland at the tall ships. They’re appearing near us at North Berwick in August but I’ll be halfway down the A9 at the time. 

Relied on my Shetland brother-in-law to get tickets but they sold out in a morning, and he didn’t anticipate how popular they would be so he never got off his erse in time.
Going to see Duncan Chisholm at the Queen’s Hall in Edinburgh on Sunday. His premiere of Black Cuillin at Celtic Connections was amazing. 15 on stage including 8 piece string section

Edited by The Mantis
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 9:48 PM, Robert said:

The lead singer in Tide Lines, Robert Robertson, was the singer in Skipinnish until he and another band member set up Tide Lines in 2018. Skipinnish are now fronted by the singer who used to be in Manran.

That’ll be Norrie MacIver aka Tago, a good Carloway lad.

• Agree 1

Dunc (not Big Dunc) was good at the Queen’s Hall last night. Next gig for us is a couple of nights in Glasgow and the Hoolie at the Hydro combined with ICT at Hampden.

one of his stories was about playing in Beauly with Ivan Drever. They turned up in the afternoon to see that the venue had laid on a tremendous spread, I.e. 6 export and 6 lager plus a coffee cake. So they laid into this until only half the cake was left. At the interval in the gig, everybody was running around looking for the raffle prize…

• Funny 2

• 1 month later...

Two great performances by Scottish bands tonight. Tide Lines rocked it on BBC Alba and Skerryvore were as good on BBC Scotland.

We’ve also watched both episodes of the Hoolie on BBC Alba tonight with great tributes to Runrig from those involved.

Makes you proud to be Scottish. 

Edited by Robert
  • Like 2

We were at the Hoolie after the QP game and stayed over. Not a big Runrig fan but the tribute was great. Been into Wolfstone from way back, still enjoyable although not the same and very heavy now with 8 on stage.
Recorded the two episodes but anybody who missed them just needs to keep an eye on BBC Alba. Also two Peat and Diesel programmes on this week.

Discovery of the year for me was Beluga Lagoon. Only discovered them by chance as the soundtrack on the BBC series Roaming in the Wild. Failed to get tickets for Aviemore in February (sold out in 3 minutes). Missed out on Barrowlands in May but a kind soul on twitter has sold me one.