Calling ALL Armchair managers

Ita a tough 1 with the squad wev got and usual injuries reckon I'd go old school Wimbledon style 2 up top doran and the new boy wide getting the ball in to the box far to slow us on the attack the now my way we'd concede more no doubts but defo go down fighting and possibly even scoring a few

Most successful teams have a way of playing, be it a settled team, formation or tactics. For the last few seasons, it's hard to know which way we are going to play from game to game, is it going to be long ball, play narrow through the middle or stretch the opposition back line by playing wide. You could say if we don't know, the opposition won't know, and it could be to our benefit, but it's not working. In my opinion, we play better and have more success with widemen. We create loads more chances when we can get behind their defence and put balls into the box, and if we stretch their back four as wide as possible by hugging the touchline,  we will create space for our attacking midfielders to exploit. Players then need to know the system and where to slot in if a regular is out injured or suspended. We need to work on a settled system in training and sign players to play that system and let the other teams worry about our attacking ability. The players at the moment seem to be lost as to where and what they are supposed to be doing. I have no idea what formation we were supposed to be playing in the second half against Partick and neither did the players it seemed. I know it has a lot to do with the quality that we have at our disposal now, but I am a firm believer that if you set your team up well, you can give anyone a run for their money.

• Agree 1

Great post Juggernaut and I am almost 100% in agreement. Does anyone disagree ? Lets just go for another pisss off about this forum. Loads of criticism BUT when was the last time that we had a pre-match thread talking about what formation and what team that we should play. It rarely happens these days. I suspect that no poster actually knows their first eleven ? So lets start at he back - 3 or 4 - Who would your first choice be and who would your back ups be ?

If the goalie and back 4 are fit then the only choice to make is whether to play Rooney or McKay at right -back. I'd go for Rooney because he's more a threat going forward. It's clearly an area we need to strengthen in - teams have been targeting us down that side all season, though you'd like to think Donaldson moving to right centre-back would make us more solid there. With McCart looking decent, I don't see any reason to consider a back 3. 

We should forget the play offs and if we did get there great but we aren't in a position I feel to win promotion and certainly not got the basis of a squad that could even stay there - we'd end up recruiting over paid jobbers just to try. The remainder of the season needs to be giving youth and playing time and developing experience and tactics based on who we have for next year.

• Agree 1

If everyone's fit, then there are decisions to be made in the midfield. Robbo started the season with a lopsided 4, and has returned to it over the past few games - with a wide-man on the left (preferably Walsh but Doran was good there last week) and Polly tucking inside from the right leaving space for Rooney's runs. My problem with this shape until now is that it stunts Polly - I've seen him drift out of games there although I hear he was good at Ayr in what I assume was that position. The other problem with it is that Chalmers and Welsh (who I think are both playing to the top of their capabilities) are not creative enough to start attacks from the centre. 

I prefer the 4-2-3-1 that we've been playing with for most of the season, just because it gives Polly more freedom. But I can see why it just isn't an option without Walsh's pace. The way injuries have kicked in recently, I think Robbo's had to tweak things according to the personnel at his disposal. Hence we ended up with Brad bombing forward on the right today and Joe out the left for a spell. Sounds awful but that's where we are. Well-positioned for a play-off spot in spite of it all. Well done Robbo!

We have only a mid-table wage budget and given that constraint we are certainly not doing any worse than we should expect. Out transfer activity consists of fishing in small ponds rather than the lochs and rivers we enjoyed for many years, and as a result we have the lowest quality squad of players we have had this century.

However, there is still enough quality there to get us into the playoffs as evidenced by the fact that our really strong away record shows that these players have enough technical ability and organisation to be one of the very best teams in the league.

Our failing is our atrocious home form. The squad has the capability to win far more of these matches, but the fact that they can win away but not at home surely points largely to the manager - tactics, selection and motivation.

• Agree 1

I've no idea. I've never posted much about tactics, formations and such in all the years I've been on here. Simply because I don't feel I know enough about it to offer a competent opinion. The level that I'm at just now is my daughter's primary school team coach which is probably my level. 

That said whatever we're doing at the moment clearly isn't working. We should have had a good confidence boost beating Ayr however that 1st half performance today was among the most haphazard, listless dirge I've ever had the misfortune of watching. Lack of any discernible shape or width. Players looked disinterested and were second to most balls. Second half was a bit better but aside from our goal did we even have a shot on target? 

Anyway yes the fans are poor, quiet and overly whiney but when they've seen, what 2 wins all season, your players look like they're going through the motions and are 2 down at home to a team that I don't think have won away from home for like 8 months it's not surprising. 

We look like a team bereft of confidence, ideas or belief. I've absolutely no idea how to sort that. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Our failing is our atrocious home form. The squad has the capability to win far more of these matches, but the fact that they can win away but not at home surely points largely to the manager - tactics, selection and motivation.

Our poor home form points to an inability to break teams down when they don't show the initiative. All of our creative players (all 3 of them) seem to need a bit of space to produce, and every team in the division is happy to leave Inverness with a point.

Ridgers if fit. Donaldson and Mccart in CB, Rooney & Tremarco.  Mid would be Polworth, Chalmers and possibly rotate Welsh with Trafford.  Controversial I know....  Up top, I’m old fashioned and would have Walsh (if fit obvs), and either Macauley or Dorian with Jordan or Fash. Ideally I’d have Wilson Robertson, Ray Mackintosh and Billy Urquhart up top but we must not live in the past......  Honestly for me our best football - not necessarily results mind - have been when we have width and I think we always play badly when we are narrow.  Interesting to see all the thoughts and obvs a formation must be fluid to match the circumstances on the day.

What's the point in reaching the playoffs.anything gained from it will be sold off and used to pay Ritchie foran in his new business venture.i won't be back until the board start telling the truth about the shambles that's going on behind closed doors.

• Like 1

Whats the point in reaching the play offs ?  Good feckin question. I honestly do not think that we expected to and this was going to be a year of consolidation - mainly in a financial sense - and that is why we have the current Board. I am however beginning to want  the "books" to be explained. There has to be a clear, albeit rigid business plan in place. Some fine posts on this thread. I think that it must be obvious who the first choice back five should be - Ridgers, Rooney, Donaldson, McCart and Tremarco. I feel a bit sorry for Brad MacKay as he has needed to fill in a few positions this season. He also appears to have become the scapegoat and the main target of crowd derision. Polly can make a mistake or two in a game but a defender cant. BUT what can Robbo do when he has Ridgers, Donaldson and Tremarco out at the same time. Me I might have considered putting the old head of Welsh into the central defence. I also feel that Robbo does have a point about the home crowd although that is not the main reason for the poor home form. Would I be right in saying that our away record has often surpassed our home record over a period of years ? Midfield I feel is a first choice of Polworth, Chalmers, Welsh and Walsh. But again it is the dilemma of who to play when we lose one of them. At the moment we are missing Walsh and his probable first choice replacement Doran. I would have hoped that we could be giving the likes of McGregor and Daniel McKay (where is he up to ?) and it puzzles me as to the loan signing of McDonald. Only time will tell but it appears that he was hooked and that will not do his confidence any good. Is he too lightweight for the Championship ? (Now that could be a bad bit of business). I have no doubt that McCauley will start the next game but in what position. He sounds very, very much like Walsh to me. Have we signed him as an out and out forward and a replacement for Oakley ? And who do we put up front with him. I really don't know. Do we go height and pace or pace and pace. Oh and finally remember that to begin with yesterday Robbo did NOT have Ridgers, Donaldson, Tremarco, Walsh, Doran or Danny McKay available. I bet that most posters would have at least 4 of them starting every week.

11 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Out transfer activity consists of fishing in small ponds rather than the lochs and rivers we enjoyed for many years, and as a result we have the lowest quality squad of players we have had this century.

Disappointed that you didn't carry on to say that C(o)unty and United are fishing in the North Sea.

12 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

. I have no doubt that McCauley will start the next game but in what position. He sounds very, very much like Walsh to me. 

He's a big physical player, not speedy and nimble like Walsh. Didn't seem to have the pace to take the RB on the outside and tended to cut in. Trying to think what big wingers he reminds me of. Physically he's like Gazza.

We could easily use them on both wings though. Walsh was brilliant against C(o)unty when he switched to the right. McCauley might also do as a striker. In his 25 mins at Falkirk he was all over the left side and the centre and got one or two shots in.

9 minutes ago, ictbob said:

Madness Noel Gallagher and soon to be announced kaiser chiefs playing inverness why o why are the board not cashing in on this.one thing comes to mind mismanagement.

Indeed. Many a successful football empire has been built on hosting gigs during the summer months.

3 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Then if the board host gigs and events there will be complaints if the pitch is wrecked for upcoming games.

A valid point.  There is an view that the pitch has been deteriorating ever since the under soil heating went in and it is now at a stage where major work needs to be done or we may suffer multiple postponements due to a waterlogged pitch.  Whilst not a great fan of artificial surfaces, there is no doubt that they are far better than they used to be and an artificial surface would lend itself far better to the venue being used for a range of other events.  There must be a significant potential in the Inverness area for one-off events which require seating for well over 1000 customers and there may be a real opportunity for the club here.