Disgraceful attitude of a tiny minority of ICT fans

Elginer500

Hi all, i'm going to bring up a touchy subject and stand shoulder to shoulder with John Robertson. Every week including the Partick game on Sat, there's a tiny pocket of Inverness fans who throw needless verbal, personal abuse at our players/management and the opposition. I was sitting at far right towards Partick end and had to listen to a grandad shout aggressive/offensive/derogatory remarks towards the pitch.  This comes from the mouth of a man who has his grandson and son with him, yeah nice pal, great role model for the youth of tomorrow. Thanks for partly spoiling my experience to when i just want to watch the game. If you want to conduct yourself like that, do it behind closed doors in your own house. The huge majority of fans are pure dedicated, brill and supportive. I looked over when john was  commenting to a fan who was clearly being offensive and gold star Robbo! In todays eera and our team and management being so highly professional, who would really  take kindly to a plonker shouting obscenities. I was guilty of not getting behind the team more; after a superb result against Ayr, i was expecting goals galore from us. Its impossible to sustain that level twice in a week, the boys were and are a credit to themselves and the city. Lets be more positive and get behind the team by starting with a verbal flurry of support; come on the Caley! - we should be proud and the 12th  man always and provide the support and encouragement to our boys.

Edited by Elginer500
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Both home & away players & management shouting & swearing at each other on field are as bad at times. Problem is with such a small stadium & fanbase its easily heard. Watch games on TV and see those on the park mouthing and yelling abuse at officials and opponents - no wonder some less educated fans think its acceptable behaviour at football (or even on the street).

We have stewards at the club and the management issued out an acceptable behaviour guide, if fans feel this is being broken then they need to approach the offending party and tell them to stop (if they feel comfortable) or get the stewards/authorities to do it. This what they are paid for and if this isn't happening then it should be highlighted to the club as they may be unaware that the service they pay for is not being conducted properly.

No point moaning about these things on CTO as nothing will change unless those who witness or feel victimised step forwards and demand action,

The correction of fan's moral compass is missing the point and a hollow victory at the moment.

Whilst I have little time for many of the abusive shouts (and I would separate brief outbursts of frustration from some of what appears to be more premeditated vitriol directed at certain individuals), I don't see how Robo telling people where to go helps with improving attendance or enhancing any form of positivity around the club.

As has been mentioned on many threads, we are struggling to attract people and even where free entry is offered then this is not sufficient to attract people to attend. We may not be alone with this problem however the on-going and continuous negativity around just about everything is hurting the club and needs to be addressed.

1 hour ago, Alan Simpson said:

Never shout abuse at the players myself or management but tbh never heard much abuse ever at caley games there big boys ffs should be able to take the flak when they're playing ***** surely!

I think your right (up to a point) , and I'd guess during the normal course of the game they don't hear too much of it. However (and this is not unique to ICT) some of the barracking and abuse starts quite early at Home games, and it's usually the same culprits, maybe it's certain season-ticket holders who have a sense of entitlement because they come every week and have paid upfront (which gains the discounted price) and feels they've 'invested in the club' as much as the board. Unfortunately especially with small crowds without any focal point for positive energy the atmosphere is pretty flat for most of the time. The 'Young' crowd that where in the North stand at the start of last season seem to have completely disappeared so we have a reactive crowd that feeds off what the team are doing. The ICT Away support being tightly crowd corralled in one part of a stadiums tens to be more boisterous and positive in its support (but not to say you don't here any criticism)...if we could get all the away support in one area our ground you might get a nucleus of positivity (but of course we have our seating preferences and I guess a few far flung 'away' supporters can't get to home games)

14 hours ago, AncientMariner said:

Absolutely agree, some of the Inverness fans are an embarrassment. 

Yep thanks for that bud, totally agree with you. No matter what people say, it boils down to needless bullying and aggression. Some people really need to remember its just a game and get a grip.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

Never shout abuse at the players myself or managment but tbh never heard much abuse ever at caley games there big boys ffs should be able to take the flak when they're playing ***** surely!

I just think negativity breeds negativity and weakness. Would you take the equivalent of somebody shouting like that at you in your workplace?

3 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Both home & away players & management shouting & swearing at each other on field are as bad at times. Problem is with such a small stadium & fanbase its easily heard. Watch games on TV and see those on the park mouthing and yelling abuse at officials and opponents - no wonder some less educated fans think its acceptable behaviour at football (or even on the street).

We have stewards at the club and the management issued out an acceptable behaviour guide, if fans feel this is being broken then they need to approach the offending party and tell them to stop (if they feel comfortable) or get the stewards/authorities to do it. This what they are paid for and if this isn't happening then it should be highlighted to the club as they may be unaware that the service they pay for is not being conducted properly.

No point moaning about these things on CTO as nothing will change unless those who witness or feel victimised step forwards and demand action,

Take your point, but why should i approach a steward and vindicate myself to the aggressive element in our fan base. The stewards should be automatically intervening. 

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

37 minutes ago, Elginer500 said:

I just think negativity breeds negativity and weakness. Would you take the equivalent of somebody shouting like that at you in your workplace?

My workplace is full of bullying! Not kwl abusing the players but tbh it gets way to much coverage on here iv seen more abuse shouted at my boys under 13 games! Can't see how some1 shouting your ***** would suddenly turn u ***** lol

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Elginer500 said:

Take your point, but why should i approach a steward and vindicate myself to the aggressive element in our fan base. The stewards should be automatically intervening. 

Well now you've posted on CTO it'll make all the difference and I'm sure your matchday experience next time will be instantly better instead of having the issue addressed at the time and the culprit warned such that they understand what is acceptable and may modify future behaviour.

Well the way I see it there's 3 options

1. Address the situation

2. Move seat (plenty options considering so many moaning about low crowds)

3. Ignore it and get on with life

Posting online isn't one that's worthwhile or will do anything positive and will in fact potentially make others not want to go to matches if they think this is rife.

• Agree 4

I'm shocked to hear our normally noble and stoic mainstanders behaviour being so uncouth. 

I'm certain the chairman shall be issuing a statement condemning the rapscallions forthwith. 

• Funny 2

23 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Well the way I see it there's 3 options

1. Address the situation

2. Move seat (plenty options considering so many moaning about low crowds)

3. Ignore it and get on with life

Posting online isn't one that's worthwhile or will do anything positive and will in fact potentially make others not want to go to matches if they think this is rife.

You forgot option four.

4. Grow a set!!

• Agree 3