The 'John Hughes broke my club' thread

Satan

1 minute ago, Satan said:

I was 'havering' about the league , you plank. You obviously can't read that well. Cup successes irrelevant in this case. 

The rest of the league could quite reasonably expect to aim high with three big clubs missing.

Luck played it part in the cup runs (and meekings hand), with a lower league team giving us a bit of a scare in the final - the rest is history.

Don't read too much into budgets and where that should place you in the league, our problems began when we had a bigger budget that was squandered on some terrible 'professional's. 

Fortunately,  for john, his team was already well established when he arrived..

Don't read to much in to budgets all you here about on here how poor Robbos had to cobble a team together on coppers and washers! But yet yogi lavished the dollars on duds! What dollars wev never had any kinda decent budget which is why likes of Watkins and co were replaced with dummy's!

16 minutes ago, Satan said:

I was 'havering' about the league , you plank. You obviously can't read that well. Cup successes irrelevant in this case. 

The rest of the league could quite reasonably expect to aim high with three big clubs missing.

Luck played it part in the cup runs (and meekings hand), with a lower league team giving us a bit of a scare in the final - the rest is history.

Don't read too much into budgets and where that should place you in the league, our problems began when we had a bigger budget that was squandered on some terrible 'professional's. 

Quite honestly think we need to look forward! And move on...

• Agree 1

I agree, obviously some don't as this subject keeps popping up on many other threads...I just thought it would be good to have a thread for it - to keep the other threads clear of it.

Never actually thought it would prove so popular though.?

Personally I rather like this thread.  One of the great things about this site is that there can be a large number of different threads running at the same time under each of a number of general headings.  It is therefore easy to locate what you are interested in and ignore what does not interest you.  It also means that threads can generally stay more or less "on topic" although inevitably they do go off topic from time to time and particularly when someone mentions the "Y" word.  Having a thread specifically on Yogi means that anyone who wants to have their say on him can do so with detracting from the subject of some other thread.  Anyone who is bored by the debate can simply ignore the thread.

I'm all for looking forward - it's the reason I put myself forward for the Supporters Trust Board -  but there is absolutely nothing wrong in looking back too.  Indeed I would argue that looking back and learning from the past is essential if you want to be successful in moving forward.  I think it is quite instructive to have a debate on Yogi's impact on the club because there is little doubt in my mind that opinions on him serve to illustrate what different people want from the team and how they view things differently.  Just because we have different views on things doesn't mean the discussion has to be divisive.

It is a fact that we had our greatest success in all 3 major competitions under his stewardship and for some that seems to be enough to give him club legend status.  Others will argue that there were other factors which led to the success and he was lucky to be in the right place at the right time, and that given where we were when he took over, we should have achieved far more in the previous season.  Some folk rave about the style of football he got the team playing whilst others felt it was the most boring football we've ever played.  Some argue that had Yogi been given a bigger budget he would have delivered more success, whilst others point out that he had a bigger budget than any previous manager and argue that his failure to recruit better players is what started the rot.

We probably all agree that Foran was a disaster, but the fact that we have such a polarised opinion on Hughes is fascinating.  On another thread someone wrote that in order to bring in better crowds we simply need to offer a better product on the pitch.  What the debate on Yogi demonstrates is that it is not that simple because people disagree about the style of football they want to watch.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Personally I rather like this thread.  One of the great things about this site is that there can be a large number of different threads running at the same time under each of a number of general headings.  It is therefore easy to locate what you are interested in and ignore what does not interest you.  It also means that threads can generally stay more or less "on topic" although inevitably they do go off topic from time to time and particularly when someone mentions the "Y" word.  Having a thread specifically on Yogi means that anyone who wants to have their say on him can do so with detracting from the subject of some other thread.  Anyone who is bored by the debate can simply ignore the thread.

I'm all for looking forward - it's the reason I put myself forward for the Supporters Trust Board -  but there is absolutely nothing wrong in looking back too.  Indeed I would argue that looking back and learning from the past is essential if you want to be successful in moving forward.  I think it is quite instructive to have a debate on Yogi's impact on the club because there is little doubt in my mind that opinions on him serve to illustrate what different people want from the team and how they view things differently.  Just because we have different views on things doesn't mean the discussion has to be divisive.

It is a fact that we had our greatest success in all 3 major competitions under his stewardship and for some that seems to be enough to give him club legend status.  Others will argue that there were other factors which led to the success and he was lucky to be in the right place at the right time, and that given where we were when he took over, we should have achieved far more in the previous season.  Some folk rave about the style of football he got the team playing whilst others felt it was the most boring football we've ever played.  Some argue that had Yogi been given a bigger budget he would have delivered more success, whilst others point out that he had a bigger budget than any previous manager and argue that his failure to recruit better players is what started the rot.

We probably all agree that Foran was a disaster, but the fact that we have such a polarised opinion on Hughes is fascinating.  On another thread someone wrote that in order to bring in better crowds we simply need to offer a better product on the pitch.  What the debate on Yogi demonstrates is that it is not that simple because people disagree about the style of football they want to watch.

Merely my opinion DD. I also feel you are very much stating the obvious and i don't think your role in the ST has any relevance.

Edited by caleyboy

19 hours ago, Satan said:

Never actually thought it would prove so popular though.?

I never thought we had so many fans that genuinely believe that winning a Scottish Cup isnt actually a real achievement and think the manager doesn't deserve recognition for that. Regardless of what fans think and the high regard they have for Pele and Robbo the facts are Yogi has SC winners on his CV and these guys dont. Perhaps its a sign of the Football Manager generation who think that if they can win the CL with ICT then in real life its that easy too!!!!

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

I never thought we had so many fans that genuinely believe that winning a Scottish Cup isnt actually a real achievement and think the manager doesn't deserve recognition for that. Regardless of what fans think and the high regard they have for Pele and Robbo the facts are Yogi has SC winners on his CV and these guys dont. Perhaps its a sign of the Football Manager generation who think that if they can win the CL with ICT then in real life its that easy too!!!!

He maybe has it on his CV but dont see clubs lining up to employ him? 

• Agree 2

On 2/9/2019 at 1:56 PM, Satan said:

"Don't read too much into budgets" you are clearly the "plank" is it just coincidence that the most successful teams in almost all leagues have the highest budgets?

This topic has been done to death but there was and still is a lot more going on behind the scenes to simply say ‘yogi wasted all the money’...... fact is, we are, where we are now. There are far more pressing problems now than worrying about things that happened 3 years ago. 

Edited by Sir C the 3rd
  • Agree 1