Ross County -v- Inverness CT

jed5697

Cannot believe we continue to play one way the long ball in the general direction of Jordan White. Every time we pumped it forward we just gave them possession to come at us again.We need some mobility up front that can stretch a defence we are so predictable. How JR thought offloading Oakley was good business beats me. 

3 minutes ago, forresjags said:

Cannot believe we continue to play one way the long ball in the general direction of Jordan White. Every time we pumped it forward we just gave them possession to come at us again.We need some mobility up front that can stretch a defence we are so predictable. How JR thought offloading Oakley was good business beats me. 

Yup we were fond of the long hoof upfield when Billy Mckay was our main attacker as well!!

It was very noticeable County moved the ball on the ground and were so much quicker in getting forward.

1 hour ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

I didn't think we were all that great last night, but we were much better than County. The problem is that I can't see County being that lousy next week, whereas it's very easy to see us being our own worst enemy yet again.

I hope you're wrong but have the horrible feeling you may not be. It was a frustrating end to a gutsy performance. They'll have to pick themselves up from that as I imagine the County players are probably buzzing this morning and feel more up for the replay than we do.

Edited by CaleyCanary

For seventy minutes we played well and with great intensity, good to watch and looking far the better team, seventy five minutes in and we started looking tired and slightly content, lack of full fitness or was it the walking wounded syndrome ?

County put in some horrendous tackles and got away with most of them. Polworth, Tremarco, Donaldson, Walsh, Doran key men, all were suffering but gave their all for the Team.

County were outplayed and if it wasn't for Fox in goal we would have deflated them and finished with a high scoring win.

Full marks to Ridgers too, some very fine saves and excellent distribution, setting up attacks that should have resulted in goals but the fine tuning of our attack just wasn't always there. It is a big ask to be ready for the replay, so many knocks to recover from and the frustration of yet another draw to get out of our heads.

First thing the Board should do now is invite the Drummer and his chorus to free seats at the replay. What a performance they put up creating a fitting atmosphere for what was mostly a very enjoyable football match.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Got to see the last 20mins after McKay's goal on my phone ... we seemed to be in control until the last 10mins, when Donaldson went off. Pushing Tremarco into the centre into the centre was probably the right thing to do, as Rooney defensively leaves me cold, Trafford doesn't start a game for a reason, but fresh legs were needed

Game management is a tricky thing, because we were forcing County back until that last 10mins, but what was needed in the last 5mins was some keep ball even if it was continually going back to our goalie. Unfortunately MacDonald was cup-tied I guess, I reckon he would have been decent to come on, and we needed legs up from, which I guess was Macauley, but would have been nice to see Austin or Daniel up front chasing down players.

Have to say thought White was excellent last night and creates space for Doran and  Walsh.

However These two players need to play the bigman in at least a couple of times last night,  as while at game was listening to radio Scotland coverage Willie Miller said that Walsh lacked composure when he lashed ball over bar ,if he had looked up and squared it to White it was a tap in. He said White as at back post screaming for it. Also commentator said he had very little service all night. 

The bigman puts in some shift and is constantly helping going back to help out the defence every corner and free kick. Something that seems overlooked by some fans.

Really can’t understand the constant negativity he gets from some on here and on social media.

Thought Ridgers Tremarco were excellent all night but in all honesty probably cost us the game by being worried about the potential offside decision instead of being professional and playing to the whistle.

Last night was a battle and we as a team gave as much as we got but probably a draw was Adair result overall but was totally gutted when that late goal went in.

Listened to Michael Stewart when returned home and agree with his summing up , Inverness are very good in attacking sense but leave themselves wide open in defence.

On to next Tuesday now and hopefully our first win over County for a while. 

Edited by Gregor
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 2

With the exception of Mr Muscle (and even that was only once), there's been nothing negative about White on this thread.  It seems that you are so keen to defend your brother/son/client that you are starting to see stuff that's not there.

4 hours ago, forresjags said:

There you go Buster

5 hours ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

Some of it - Chalmers' idiotic shot from distance in the 90th minute when he had an easy pass on - is either players being panicky or just plain thick. This isn't a team of kids; they really should be capable of keeping their heads under pressure.

Harsh. The likes of Joe and Brad are limited players who are playing out of their skins. They wouldn't get near the County bench yet they've gone toe-to-toe with them over 4 matches now. Robbo deserves enormous credit for making this group of players so competitive.

I do agree that bringing on Trafford when we're defending a lead is totally senseless though.

14 minutes ago, Buster said:

With the exception of Mr Muscle (and even that was only once), there's been nothing negative about White on this thread.  It seems that you are so keen to defend your brother/son/client that you are starting to see stuff that's not there.

If you don’t think White receives a lot criticism on here compared to other players then maybe a wee visit to spec savers is in order ? 

So don’t think I’m seeing stuff that’s not there mate.

Little point in me saying it, but I thought White's inability to hold the ball up meant it kept coming back at us sooner rather than later. 

I thought we should have won the game and fail to see all this doom and gloom that everyone is proclaiming. That should all have been left at the Partick game where we were shocking.

I'm not disappointed, more frustrated at another late concession, but once Coll went off we were up against it.

Great performance from Tommy Tremarco, if we had more with his guts we would be in the next round. Still all to play for and the incentive of going to Tannadice in the next round. 

Lighten up folks, ffs.

• Agree 6

5 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

We have squandered more leads this season and gone on to lose or draw more often than any other senior team in the United Kingdom.

We are, more often than not, good enough to take the lead against almost anyone. However, until we become astute enough to hold onto those leads we will make no progress whatsoever..

Every single fan can see where we are going wrong. Time to get it sorted while we still have a chance of promotion and making progress in the cup.

Been saying this for week KM the defence needs to be tighter.

1 minute ago, tm4tj said:

Little point in me saying it, but I thought White's inability to hold the ball up meant it kept coming back at us sooner rather than later. 

I thought we should have won the game and fail to see all this doom and gloom that everyone is proclaiming. That should all have been left at the Partick game where we were shocking.

I'm not disappointed, more frustrated at another late concession, but once Coll went off we were up against it.

Great performance from Tommy Tremarco, if we had more with his guts we would be in the next round. Still all to play for and the incentive of going to Tannadice in the next round. 

Lighten up folks, ffs.

There is another one Buster ? 

14 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

It's called an opinion Gregor.

I have no problem with opinions although an opinion is not always correct.

Can’t believe you didn’t see any other qualities about  White last night, he battled with their defence last night creating space for the other players around him , laid the ball off well and worked his sock off for the team defending as well as attacking, also got himself into great goal scoring positions to receive a pass which never came .

Well my opinion is I thought he was a warrior last night and had an excellent game.

But maybe we both got it wrong ? 

Edited by Gregor

5 hours ago, forresjags said:

Think you will find this more of an observation of our limited tactics than a criticism of any individual.

6 hours ago, forresjags said:

Cannot believe we continue to play one way the long ball in the general direction of Jordan White. Every time we pumped it forward we just gave them possession to come at us again.

And didn't you all say a while back that when we try to play it out of defence, we always lose the ball too close to our own goal?

Not having seen them play for a while, but having read all the comments here, I was quite surprised at what I saw last night. Better - maybe quite a lot better - than I expected. 

But it's clear that apart from the likes of Ridger, Tremarco and Doran, there is very little quality in the side. There's no always-dangerous striker - just a bunch of guys who might get lucky and score.  There's no rock-solid dependable defender - the wheels can come off at any time.

But there's naivety as well.  Why blast the ball over the bar from 30 yards when you're one up with just a few minutes to go?  Take the ball, get over to the corner flag, and dig in.  They can't score from there.

Time and again I've read comments here about how the other side "conned the ref" or made the most of a situation.  Now I don't want us to start cheating, but a little more cunning, more street-smartness - let's even call it "game management" - could compensate for a lack of footballing quality.

Though how you impart that to the players, I do not know.  Given his tactical stubbornness, I can't see JR doing it.

52 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Time and again I've read comments here about how the other side "conned the ref" or made the most of a situation.  Now I don't want us to start cheating, but a little more cunning, more street-smartness - let's even call it "game management" - could compensate for a lack of footballing quality.

Though how you impart that to the players, I do not know.  Given his tactical stubbornness, I can't see JR doing it.

If you listened to JR's post match interview you would have heard him say that we should have seen the game out, should have made a side ward pass that even if it had of went out the park would have been better than trying to play forward and lose the ball resulting in the goal.

JR got his tactics spot on last night in my opinion, apart from one or two of his late substitutions, and certainly in the first half we were well in control, extra man in midfield compared to County and we had the game in our hands. First half I though we were excellent and for the part in the second half we played well but got leggy which ultimately caused them to equalise.

Even if we hadn't tried to play offside/claim offside I believe we still would've been caught out by pace from that ball, yes the defending was poor but ultimately a stupid pass further up the field caused it.

I agree we need to play the game out smarter, that's not from the lack of tactics from the manager but more a lack of intelligence from the players and possibly a lack of belief. There's no way JR talks that way after a game but doesn't impact it on his players, he was as frustrated as the rest of us. We should always play to our strengths and if that means continuing to push on and press but with a slightly deeper back line then so be it but we cannot control a game from halfway inside our own half, we don't have a player that can do it. 

• Agree 1

Oh my, we're getting awful hard to please.

We are Caley Thistle, not Barcelona. Some of these guys might be shite, but they are our shite. Instead of the constant negativity, how about we just support the team.

• Agree 7

• tm4tj unfeatured and unpinned this topic