A Disgrace

Kingsmills

I have just listened to the vile sectarian abuse directed at Steve Clarke last night at Ibrox.

It's very clear from the volume that this was not just an isolated few but thousands.

The Rangers have apologised and said that 'it's totally unacceptable and will be dealt with' Well, I am sorry but they have been saying that for years and the club preceded them for decades before that and nothing has been done domestically although UEFA, to their credit, have shown a little more backbone.

Surely it's time now for deeds rather than words. In my view the appropriate and proportionate step would be to award last night's tie to Kilmarnock and warn the host club that any repeat will see them excluded from the competition for three seasons. That way, those in charge at Ibrox might just pay a little more than lip service to this appalling behaviour.

• Agree 3

Just read Gerard's defence saying he thinks it should be sorted out in football in general? As far as I can see this is mainly a West of Scotland problem and is not only a football issue. However since Rangers has risen back to the premiership it does appear to be getting worse and worse. Rangers (and Celtic) are the problem and as far as I can see are just playing lip service to solving this issue as are the SFA and SPFL. Doesnt need a new OFBA but does need enforcement of existing legislation. Cant see anything changing fast sadly. 

Is it only me that prefered football when Rangers were in wilderness? Calmed this stuff down considerably 

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Surely it's time now for deeds rather than words. In my view the appropriate and proportionate step would be to award last night's tie to Kilmarnock and warn the host club that any repeat will see them excluded from the competition for three seasons.

Whilst not disagreeing with you, I'd be surprised if there was anything in the rules of the competition which permitted the SFA to do that. 

I assume the rules of membership of the SFA would allow them to penalise - or eject - a club whose behaviour was substandard.  But, as with any disciplinary procedure, I'd expect there to be a series of warnings of increasing formality and seriousness before any action could take place. The club might also take the SFA to court - although apparently defending sectarian abuse would be an interesting brief for a lawyer!

Surely these are public order offences?  Can the police not take action?

32 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Just read Gerard's defence saying he thinks it should be sorted out in football in general? As far as I can see this is mainly a West of Scotland problem and is not only a football issue. However since Rangers has risen back to the premiership it does appear to be getting worse and worse. Rangers (and Celtic) are the problem and as far as I can see are just playing lip service to solving this issue as are the SFA and SPFL. Doesnt need a new OFBA but does need enforcement of existing legislation. Cant see anything changing fast sadly. 

Is it only me that prefered football when Rangers were in wilderness? Calmed this stuff down considerably 

Agree. One of the very few advantages of being in the Championship is we don't have to suffer those knuckle dragging hoards, or the other lot for that matter.

• Agree 2

Rangers (sevco) need to take positive action to show they are serious about their anti bigotry stance. I fear that they will continue to gloss over the issue as they have done previously - I mean can they really commit to positive action when their 2nd kit has a diagonal sash design and their 3rd is orange!!!

Celtic are guilty too, although they try to play the victim they are just as culpable what with their 'traditional' Irish singing , and latterly falling out with UEFA over their Palestinian flags.

Put them in a league of their own and they can play each other in perpetuity. 

No one would miss them. 

• Like 1

Whilst it's a nice idea, everyone would miss them, especially the clubs in the prem, the lower division teams in the cups and the FSA, that's why nothing has ever been done in the past nor will anything be done in the future. Fact is, the SFA can sanction clubs for fan behaviour, they choose not to.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, wynthank15 said:

Whilst it's a nice idea, everyone would miss them, especially the clubs in the prem, the lower division teams in the cups and the FSA, that's why nothing has ever been done in the past nor will anything be done in the future. Fact is, the SFA can sanction clubs for fan behaviour, they choose not to.

I disagree. The top league would be hugely competitive with at least half a dozen teams starting the season with realistic hopes of winning it. Smaller clubs, including our own, would get healthier crowds without the hoards leaving every Saturday to support one or other of the Ugly Sisters.

personally i think that if we did not have the old firm in the Scottish football pyramid we would become similar to the welsh/Irish leagues and i think most fans would love it. It would be hugely competetive and there would be more chance to win trophies. Granted the finances that teams would have would probably be a lot lower and the quality of football may drop too, but everyone that loves their team would continue to support them and enjoy the competetiveness that this would bring.

• Agree 1

Have to be clear with this, a west coast problem? Don't we continually not comment on the hoards of buses that leave the entirety of towns around Scotland to go watch the two vile clubs. Have we not listened to both these clubs away fans sing anti catholic and anti protestant songs at us, and often when they were playing on our turf they had a lot of "local" fans in their ranks. It is a Scottish problem, but it is almost exclusively linked to the two biggest clubs ( although you cannot exclude the capitals big two also, but to a lesser extent )

I think the only way to really tackle this is to have a line drawn, Tuesday this week, all clubs informed they lose gate receipts for the game involved, so clubs are fined in a financially fair way in affordability. repeat offenders, close the stands for home fans for the repeat offending teams next home game, away fans still allowed into the game. Then if they dont learn, dock them points, 1, 3, 5, or 10 points. It is the only way, hurt them so hard that the sensible majority turn on the senseless minority. 

Celtic fans are one of the most fined in European competition, where The Scottish authorities let them get away with it. Rangers fans warned to behave today by the club, yet seats ripped out and thrown at Aberdeen fans today, who were doing the same! Sectarian singing. coin throwing, bottles of Buckfast thrown at players! Both have been guilty repeatedly, so clean slate for all clubs, as from Tuesday it would be down to them, and lets rid this problem from our game.

Only one thing will stop them, hurt them, and the good fans ( of which I'm sure there are some ) will win eventually, or the clubs will certainly act to rid the problem as they wont want to lose the League because of these idiots and their own fans would turn on them 

• Agree 3

Re closing the home stands, some of the nutters would end up amongst the away fans which could be an even bigger problem. Why penalise the good fans of which there are many just deduct points for each infraction as suggested above be it singing, criminal damage or breach of the peace ie coin throwing which would also hit them in the pocket re final league positions and European football. Can you imagine the whataboutery such a system would encourage that would be a spectator sport in its own right.

The people who should be punished are those who commit the offences. At the games where these offences are most obvious there are dozens of police officers and dozens of stewards. If they did their job properly then large numbers of the perpetrators could easily be identified and prosecuted. That would soon have a major impact. All it needs is the political will. 

Clubs cannot be held responsible for the behaviour of individual “fans” but it is reasonable to expect them to help the police to identify perpetrators and to ban them. If they fail to do their bit then sanctions should be imposed but not such as to hurt the players (e.g. points deductions) or the majority of decent  fans (stand closures).

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2019 at 7:59 AM, DoofersDad said:

The people who should be punished are those who commit the offences. At the games where these offences are most obvious there are dozens of police officers and dozens of stewards. If they did their job properly then large numbers of the perpetrators could easily be identified and prosecuted. That would soon have a major impact. All it needs is the political will. 

Clubs cannot be held responsible for the behaviour of individual “fans” but it is reasonable to expect them to help the police to identify perpetrators and to ban them. If they fail to do their bit then sanctions should be imposed but not such as to hurt the players (e.g. points deductions) or the majority of decent  fans (stand closures).

I disagree. Deduct points and the majority of decent fans who tend to do little or nothing would soon be pointing out the minority and the problem would cease.

Absolutely, the same goes for the disgraceful racism which is creeping back into the game.