Scotty

A mixed bag looking at the comments but as they say a win is a win.

Agree with the comments on not playing as a team  : that has been very apparent since the slide began.

Our aim should be to get as high up the table as possible. County seem to have top spot sewn up so the play off farce it is (not chicken counting).

Slow start to each half.  We had only one foray into the opposition half after that dreaded defensive sub near the end.  Great to get the points and team did ok considering they played 120+ minutes on Tuesday, but when will our manager stop making the same mistake and inviting unnecessary pressure on the team, we were just lucky it didn't cost us today.

Maybe not our best performance but to secure all three points after the massive effort put in on Tuesday is a credit to everyone.

With other results meaning that we have put a bit of clear water between ourselves and the challengers for the final play off spot it caps one of the best weeks we have enjoyed in quite a while.

A repeat of victories midweek and at the weekend next week is not beyond us and would build up huge momentum as we reach the business end of the season.

• Agree 2

A very hard fought 3 points. I worry when we score so early,  as we tend to retreat further and further back as the game goes on. We need to look after the ball a lot better instead of just kicking it aimlessly up the park. But a wins a win, and a lot of the other results went our way today.

• Agree 1

I have to agree with the posts already made about it being a long 1-0. At halftime I even mentioned to the guy in the pie stand that it was a pretty boring game to watch, but the longer it went on I realised that the guys were knackered and, in at least one case (Coll) not 100% fit. The win is all that mattered today, I’m happy with that and willing to put today’s performance down to fatigue and move on.

Hey, at least it wasn’t a draw!!

• Agree 2

Judging by the amount of half fit/half injured players in the squad it's a balancing act at the moment - trying to rest players and then have to play them through injury isnt ideal.

I think some of the youngsters will need to step up - whether it's Tuesday or Sunday remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, Gregor said:

Two wins on the bounce at home , through to the next round of Scottish Cup, what’s not to like ?

Things definitely looking up. Time for the moaners to get behind the team and for the absentees to return to the stadium and back the side for what could yet be a successful conclusion to the season.

• Agree 1

Not a game that will live long in the memory but after a gruelling match on Tuesday night the main thing was getting the win so a scrappy 1 - 0 did the job. I thought we tried to pass the ball around a lot more than last weekend against Dunfermline (no idea what we were like against RC sadly) and we created some decent chances. Nice wee near post flick from Tremarco for the only goal (another Polworth assist) but we passed up some good chances to go further ahead in the second half with McCauley being denied by a decent save before White crashed the ball over and then Polworth broke into the box but his effort was also saved and Doran couldn't quite get to the loose ball. Millar had the best chance for Morton when he rifled a shot just past the post in the first half but aside from that Morton were largely toothless and a bit of a mess in defence. Plenty of misplaced passes especially in the second 45 minutes.

I thought McCart was excellent for us before going off injured and we also saw decent performances from Welsh, Donaldson and Mckay (yes Mckay, he did the basics well). Not our best attacking showing of the season but three points were the key especially after a disappointing outing in our last league game and the aforementioned Scottish Cup replay on Tuesday.

Edited by RiG

Given the number of points we've thrown away from decent positions this season, I'm pretty okay with boring 1-0 wins like that one. I didn't think we were particularly special but after we took the lead we were the only team that looked like scoring. Morton set out to suffocate us in midfield and stuck to it until about an hour in. Once they went two up top we had to sit a little deeper but we saw it out very comfortably. Our back four (plus McCart until he got injured) were all outstanding. I feel like I should single out Brad McKay for particular praise given his patchy form this season - aside from missing that chance in the first half he was flawless. In an attacking sense you can see that we miss Walsh because his pace allows him to get up to support White. I did think that McDonald looked very classy and it was a shame he got injured. I imagine Robbo would have liked to get Austin on but for having to use up 2 subs for injuries.

As an aside, some folk may have noticed that the club were running live audio commentary on the game (with yours truly behind the mic) using Periscope. It was kind of a test run so we didn't make much of a deal of it beforehand but I'd be grateful for any feedback from people who did listen in. It's something we're hoping to do at 3pm Saturday games in the future, so all being well we'll try to do it again for the Falkirk game on 30 March.

• Like 1

• tm4tj unfeatured and unpinned this topic