Foundation/Fan Funding

sheepslagger

https://www.foundationofhearts.org/

I d like to run this idea past you all and gather thoughts.

Back in June 2013 another one of the Scottish stalwart clubs went into administration. Hearts went over the edge and were only saved by Ann Budge and brought back to life . After that the Foundation of Hearts was founded and since then it has grown and provided their club with a steady substantial income derived from their fans.  This looks like sustaining Hearts for the future, as long as the governance remains as it is at present. 

My question is what is the reaction to a similar Foundation being set up ICT and being funded in a similar manner.  eg by fans on a regular monthly basis.

Any cursory glance at out accounts would confirm that to remain in the way we are, and have been, we have lost money over the majority of years we have been in existence, and what we require is a way to have financial security in a similar way to what Hearts have now, but have it in place before the brown stuff hits the fan . unlike Hearts did.

Rather than re invent the wheel , take the basis of what Hearts have done and copy their best bits.

This is a business that at present does not attract enough dosh and cannot continue for ever to incur losses, so we either find a wandering Abramovich with an open cheque book or prepare for the future with a sustainable model, in a similar manner to our Edinburgh cousins.

Thoughts ?

• Like 1

SS

I've seen the accounts this morning and they don't make pretty reading.  I indulged in the thread relating to the AGM/ Statement of 2017 but in all honesty I think we could go over old ground until the next millenium and be no further forward.  There seems to be a divide between some who seem to think that the club funds have been mismanaged over the years and others who believe that sucessive boards have done their best.  Certainly when you look at the sums of money people have invested - or as I'd rather call it donated - I would tend to believe that anyone who has ploughed large chinks of cash in to the club should be applauded and couldn't care less who they were or where they came from.  However, everyone must have a limit and nobody is going to keep chucking big dollops of cash at something which loses money on an annual basis. 

For me, I'd support a crowd funding initiative as far as practicable to attempt to address the cash flow issue the club clearly face on a monthly basis.  Going to the game on a Saturday is what I do with the boy and as I did with my old man back in the day.  The thought of losing the club does not sit right with me and surely there would be sufficient of us in numbers to do something.  500 fans at £20 a month gives £10K which could be ring fenced for wages for players or youth development and transparency would ensure that any doubters would see where their cash was going.  Some couldn't afford that, some could maybe do more and some won't partake.  I'm not looking to ignite a debate about previous allegations, I'm just looking forward - we may never return to the dizzy heights of 2015 but I'd rather not see the club go into administration without a fight.  To lose the youth set up would drive the club further away from a community interest IMHO and part-time football would be quite a set back I think.  I think our neighbours over the bridge will very quickly find themselves in a similar position when Uncle Roy's chequebook closes so let's get in first and keep them weher they should be  - forever in our shadow!

With the right framework in place and with the fans/ funders being correctly represented - maybe by the supporter's trust or similar (excuse my ignorance of protocol) - and a sacrosanct guarantee that the club will use the money for what it is given for and nothing else I will certainly do whatever I can to support it.

Caveat - we stuff the Arab Bar Stewards on Tuesday and Sunday - I'm not asking for much in return min....

WH

47 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

It should be remembered that the Hearts model is supported by considerably more fans than we could ever hope for. They also have Mrs Budge.

Are you saying therefore that you wouldn't support something like that or do you not feel it is a good idea?  I think that the low fan base is part of the issue we have at present but we can do something to help the club?  Not an aggressive statement being made, I'm genuinely interested in hearing what people think.

Suggested something like this a few years back but there didn't seem to be much interest.

The basis being that some people can't always get to the home games but perhaps would like to contribute to the club's funds anyway, and if there was a facility to allow this I think there could be a reasonable number of takers.

I'd be up for it anyway!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Weekend Hacker said:

Are you saying therefore that you wouldn't support something like that or do you not feel it is a good idea?  I think that the low fan base is part of the issue we have at present but we can do something to help the club?  Not an aggressive statement being made, I'm genuinely interested in hearing what people think.

Oh i think the idea is fine. My only doubt is how popular it would be. Maybe I'm wrong but we would need a very sizeable investment from "Mrs Budge". Maybe the Supporters Trust could be the catalyst where members pay monthly and the trust buys shares monthly. We need clever folk to set this thing up and unfortunately  I'm not one.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Thats a point! Who would be our Ann Budge? 

The point of this is Ann Budge invested to get them.out of admin and moving again. They d gone bust. We haven't got an Ann Budge but on the bright side haven't gone bust.  

We have got their amount if fans. From recollection they have 8000 members contributing , but that shouldn't put us off.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepslagger said:

The point of this is Ann Budge invested to get them.out of admin and moving again. They d gone bust. We haven't got an Ann Budge but on the bright side haven't gone bust.  

We have got their amount if fans. From recollection they have 8000 members contributing , but that shouldn't put us off.  

so how many people do you need and how much would they need to pay?

243 views but only 17 comments, some of which don't actually say if they feel it is worthy of support or otherwise.  Mmmmm.  Is this call to action to be ignored and post administration there will be lots of whatabootery around why the board did nothing?  is this the depth of feeling we have for our club?  Not if the last game against RCFC is anything to go by.  Or do we as fans "only raise our game" against them the same as the allegation leveled at the players by some?  

Ross, a question. Is your suggestion just flying a personal thought or is this something the Board has tasked you to raise here? 

I agree with Caleyboy that the Supporters Trust would be the channel for fan involvement with the idea. Personally it is an idea which I think might be worth exploring but I cannot speak for the Trust Board as it is not something we have discussed as yet. 

• Like 1

I would be interested in hearing more, as would members of my family. I'm not sure how I would feel about paying for a journeymans wages for one but if it was put to good use such as youth development as mentioned above and there was fan representation then I would be happy to contribute.

I’d be interested in something like this possibly. I’d actually like there to be a kind of kids club for the younger fans, pay a certain amount each month and they get a little in return.  It wouldn’t need to be value for money but just some sort of interaction for the kids, a personal message from the mascot, stickers, badges etc and free entry for kid and adult to something like a summer friendly etc. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Ross, a question. Is your suggestion just flying a personal thought or is this something the Board has tasked you to raise here? 

I agree with Caleyboy that the Supporters Trust would be the channel for fan involvement with the idea. Personally it is an idea which I think might be worth exploring but I cannot speak for the Trust Board as it is not something we have discussed as yet. 

DD,

I m flying a personal thought which is bourne out by real and credible concerns that the club is looking at losses for another year . Just common sense . Its my idea . They ve all seen it cos they now know who the mysterious Sheepslagger with the nice bike is ! 

For instance if the fans monthly contributions were going directly into the managers budget this would be a way that they could see their hard earned going to immediate good use.

Rathar than a the care and maintenance budget !

Are there 500 -1000 fnas out there   up for putting £5 - £10 a week into the club ?