Dundee United- Matchday

tm4tj

• tm4tj featured and pinned this topic
12 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Taking Danny MacKay on in injury time ?!!

12 minutes ago, caley100 said:

And Daniel Mackay comes on in  injury time??

You should only be making a sub like that when you are winning!

After a poor start we matched Utd and would have been well worth a draw, but lacked creativity and finishing.

For the penalty award, it looked like Coll won the ball cleanly, but with 2 feet and then sliding through through the opponent.

Entertaining game for one we didn't manage to score. Took a while to settle to the diamond midfield and Utd could have been out of sight. Gradually worked our way into the game and were arguably on top despite not creating much. 

Second half was really open and end to end. They were on top for a spell when they won the pen. I would have said it was a fair award. Coll lunged in to block the shot but took the players legs before the ball. Mchattie took an awful touch to draw pawlett into a rash challenge for his second booking. This killed the game as our lack of creativity against there solid unit meant the classic sit deep and let us punt it. Colls last second deflected shot was the closest I think we got. 

Draw might have been fairer but safranko did miss a great chance late on. 

If that is their starting 11 on Sunday we should hold no fear. They are a solid unit but hopefully tremarco, mccart, doran and another winger return so we can play 4-5-1 again. 

Tonight they targeted Rooney and got a lot of joy down his side. Thought Welsh was mom. Most played well I thought. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Sore one to take, United made a lot of poor touches gifting us possession, I think we won every header and looked alright in midfield with Polworth doing a lot of the work. 

When United went down to 10 men I thought we might get our equaliser but it was same old story of chance after chance. 

Hopefully a much better performance on Sunday. 

a game with very little in it, and always likely to be decided by a mistake. Our final ball into their box was dreadful, and always ended up behind our strikers.

Expect Sunday to be another tight affair, as really nothing between the teams.

Tactically we made a lot of changes against DUFC. However  the team played really well in quite a high pressure game. The deciding goal came after Coll clearly fouled a player in the box. However, we should not be too disappointed. The result could galvanise us this Sunday. DUFC are clearly desperate to get back to the SPFL and will now fight out the title with Ross County. We might even do them a favour if we can dent County's challenge. Given our financial position we can but hope we edge the game on Sunday. Always look on the bright side of life.....

We have seen the team show resilience all season. They can show this again by getting a result on Sunday. They are more than capable as has been shown in various games this season. Let's get down to Dundee in numbers on Sunday and help write another bit of Scottish cup history. 

• Like 4

Bit late to the party with these comments but here we go...

I felt we were worth a draw. Odd line up to begin with. 442 diamond with Welsh on the right and Chalmers on the left, Trafford sitting deep and Polworth supporting behind a front two of Austin and White. United were all over us right from the off and we struggled to contain them at times. However after the initial rush of United attacks we slowly started to gain a foothold and were able to contain them whilst starting to carve out a couple of decent chances of our although mainly through set pieces with Rooney and then White passing up perhaps our best chances of the first half. Ridgers nearly gave up a comedy goal when he crashed a clearance off an onrushing United player and the ball went spinning back towards the ICT goal but fortunately for us it was just wide.

Second half saw United again start the stronger and they nearly bagged the opener when a cross / shot across goal looked to be heading in before Mckay arrived to batter the ball away. Chalmers then channelled his inner Messi to dance inside a couple of United players and poked a shot towards goal. Not sure how close it was to going in but it seemed to be cleared off the line. Then came the moment that changed the game. I had said to my pal that, as much as I love Donaldson, he is still prone to a brain fart but normally it's something daft like a slack pass out of play for a throw in but this time it was much more costly. With Pawlett having received the ball inside the penalty area Donaldson went crashing through him to try and win the ball, which he did, but you cannot come through the back of an opponent like that. Clark stepped up to send Ridgers the wrong way.

Pawlett then had a brain fart himself when he clattered McHattie when already on a yellow card and he was duly sent off. Doran came on to give us more natural width (obvious joke is obvious) on the wing and he sent in a wonderful cross which was met by Austin (who I had forgotten was on the pitch in the second half) but he couldn't make a decent connection and the chance was easily saved. That was probably our best chance to get on level terms save for a late Donaldson effort which was deflected and had the United keeper scrambling to tip it over. Whilst I felt we deserved a draw it was another case of not creating enough and not taking the few chances we did create.

Despite the odd set up and playing central midfielders on the wings I thought both Welsh and Chalmers did well there, Polworth had a reasonable game as did Mckay. White and Austin didn't really get much service for most of the game and when they did they weren't clinical enough. If that was Uniteds full strength team then that gives me a bit of confidence for Sunday as we, in theory, won't play that same line up / formation so you'd like to think we will be better but maybe I am being overly optimistic (for once).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

And..................................... we have dropped down to fifth today after Dunfermline beat Queen of the South 1-0.

We have a game in hand now, but they have the points in the bag.

1 hour ago, tm4tj said:

And..................................... we have dropped down to fifth today after Dunfermline beat Queen of the South 1-0.

We have a game in hand now, but they have the points in the bag.

And incredibly Queens are now only 5 points off bottom having played a game more than the teams below them. Tight league now 

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic