Who's all going to Hampden

MorayJaggie

All we need now is the day & time. Its not an OF semi, so they should be able to get this sorted quickly I'd hope?

Most likely expecting

Sat - Hearts V ICT @ 12.30

Sun - Dons V Cellic @ 12.30

Can see us getting a decent 3pm Sat unfortunately.

Edited by bdu98196

Utterly daft time, agreed (even Embra-based Hearts supporters lose their Saturday lie-in) but booked anyway. But it's hardly 'baffling' - we know how the SFA think and it's never in the interests of paying supporters unless they're Old Firm.

And we're also already booked that night for Matthew Zajac's 'Tailor of Inverness' at Cumbernauld Theatre. I wonder if he'll make it to the game.

Folks moaning about times & locations. Its known that Glasgow & Hampden is the location for cup semi finals and has been for years so really don't see all the fuss.

As for times, the game has to be outwith the 3pm scheduled games so its either a 12.15KO or 5.30 - if the later time was chosen then I'm sure there would be more complaints its too late in the day and folks will travel  home in the dark and maybe even have to miss their dinner.

On a Sunday public transport is more limited - put us on an early Sunday time and fans might not make it at all and on late they will complain as they have work the next day or that its interfering with the Sabbath.

We have had about 5 Hampden visits in 25 years so hardly worth getting all upset about - plenty other clubs & fans would love to be in a cup semi - lets focus on the prize rather than the inconvenience of having to get up at 6am on a weekend on one occasion!!!!

• Agree 8
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

All that needs to happen is for the SFA and SPFL to agree, in advance, to clear a weekend for the semi-finals.   As is done for internationals.

It is a blank weekend for premiership fixtures. The reason it can’t be at 3pm is because it is on TV and there is an embargo. Some leagues do break the embargo, but there is a financial implication for this, and the Scottish game is hardly awash with cash. 

11 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

It's UEFA Article 48 that prevents it, so outwith the powers of the SFA or the SPFL; even if they cleared all other games.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/news/newsid=19817.html

Eleven Sports were broadcasting La Liga games during the blackout period earlier this season.

Interestingly, according to The Guardian, in an article published on 12th Oct, Article 48 is only enforced in England, Scotland & Montenegro...

I recall the discussions surrounding it at the time and the "only 3 countries thing" was a bit of editorial license as it was only 3 countries who responded to say that they still actively enforced it....I suspect that if only 3 of the 55 member associations were for it, then it would have been removed before now!!

1 hour ago, CaleyD said:

It's UEFA Article 48 that prevents it, so outwith the powers of the SFA or the SPFL; even if they cleared all other games.

That doesn't prevent it.  It merely lists the blocked hours that have been chosen by national FAs.

The regulation starts "Each member association may decide on two and a half hours on a Saturday or a Sunday during which any Transmission of football may be prohibited within the territory of the relevant member association."

My reading of that is that it's up to each national FA to decide IF it wants to have blocked hours, and then, if they do, to decide what they are.

Having said all that, I wasn't aware how deeply embedded the prohibition is, so thank you to everyone for filling in a gap in my knowledge.

2 hours ago, CaleyD said:

That's not the case.  UEFA Article 48 allows member associations to apply a block on Saturdays or Sundays if they wish to do so.

24 minutes ago, ilpadrino said:

That's not the case.  UEFA Article 48 allows member associations to apply a block on Saturdays or Sundays if they wish to do so.

..... and the SFA have chosen to exercise their right to do so. Its not a week-by-week decision, its a decision made, ahead of time, for the whole season although the SFA have set a few exception dates (for Scotland games I think). Nothing can be broadcast on TV between 2:45pm and 5:15pm on a Saturday unless its on one of those exception dates. Theoretically you could have a kickoff up to about 12:45 on a Saturday and still have enough time to get it finished before the 2:45pm blackout comes into effect ... that extra half-hour might have been quite useful for an early kick-off especiailly if bus or train times need to be taken into account. 

I did not realise that only Scotland, England and Montenegro actually applied these rules .... This article gives a decent overview
https://www.lawinsport.com/topics/articles/item/what-is-the-black-out-rule-in-football-and-is-it-lawful

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:

..... and the SFA have chosen to exercise their right to do so. Its not a week-by-week decision, its a decision made, ahead of time, for the whole season although the SFA have set a few exception dates (for Scotland games I think). Nothing can be broadcast on TV between 2:45pm and 5:15pm on a Saturday unless its on one of those exception dates. Theoretically you could have a kickoff up to about 12:45 on a Saturday and still have enough time to get it finished before the 2:45pm blackout comes into effect ... that extra half-hour might have been quite useful for an early kick-off especiailly if bus or train times need to be taken into account. 

I did not realise that only Scotland, England and Montenegro actually applied these rules .... This article gives a decent overview
https://www.lawinsport.com/topics/articles/item/what-is-the-black-out-rule-in-football-and-is-it-lawful

In July last year, if the SFA had added 13 April 2019 to the list of exceptions, we could have a later kick-off, and they could still televise it live.  I can't see anyone that would otherwise have been going to a game, either spectating or playing, deciding to stay in and watch our semi-final instead.

For next year, they just need to decide if it's going to be 11 April, or 18 April (as it was in 2015) -  I would have thought they could figure that out in the next 4 months.

7 minutes ago, ilpadrino said:

..For next year, they just need to decide if it's going to be 11 April, or 18 April (as it was in 2015) -  I would have thought they could figure that out in the next 4 months.

You are perhaps crediting them with the wits they dont posess.

18 hours ago, CaleyD said:

Always amazes me how much everyone hates football on TV....until they want to sit down and watch football on TV ?‍♂️

I much prefer to be actually at the game, for the atmosphere, the craic, the buzz, singing, being with friends.  It’s certainly not the same sitting at home with no atmosphere and I’d feel silly singing on my own!  Also the bus trips to ICT away days are more enjoyable than driving the short distance to the stadium.  I know I could go to the pub to watch the game, but that’s not my style, I’d rather travel to wherever ICT play.  

• Like 2

It could be better to use the ground first.

If there is bad weather the pitch could be in a bit of a mess  for the second match

Last time we played Hearts we had 5 goals start and blew it. So a big improvement is required that's for sure